Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Running your Corvette in O/D

Old 02-20-2008, 03:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Running your Corvette in O/D

I am not wanting to jump in the middle of the pi$$ing contest going on between the 70# guys and the 60# guys, I just thought I would offer up a little food for thought.

Let me start by stating that I am 35 yrs. old,6'1" 235#'s. I have worked in jobs that could definitely be deemed "physical labor" my whole life. I am nowhere near the size of Big J, but I'm not small either. I have always been comfortable shooting 70#'s and have shot at least that for many years. A couple of years back I had an "old timer" who I respect a great deal tell me the best thing I could do to insure I continue to enjoy this sport as long as I can, would be to drop my draw weight 10 lbs. He had worked construction his whole life and was no small guy himself. He metold that for years he had shot 70-80#'s and always felt fine doing so. Then, one day he began to notice some discomfort in his shoulder at the end of a long target session. Long story short, he is now shooting a crossbow. The Dr. basically told him that between work and heavy draw weights, his shoulder was cashed.

My point is that if you have been shooting 70#'s and are happy with the performance and along comes a bow that will give you the exact same performance at 60#'s, why not shoot it? Sure, the 70# model of the same bow may even give you BETTER performance than what you are used to, but if what you have deemed acceptable all of those years has been getting the job done, do you NEED more?
The way I see it is this, if I am routinely blowing through deer, shoulders and all, at a certain speed shooting 70#'s and now I can do the same thing with the same results at 60#'s, why not do it? As I said before, it saves on the shoulder, becomes even more comfortable in weird positions, and allows me to shoot even longer with NO discomfort.

Before the brilliant, "Then why not just shoot 40#'s ?" remark is made, it's not apples to apples. The point is same speed, same K.E. at 60#'s as I'm getting at 70#'s.Shoot whatever makes you happy, but with today's bows and their efficiency, dropping a little in draw weight certainly couldn't hurt.
Old 02-20-2008, 03:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Brett/IL

I am not wanting to jump in the middle of the pi$$ing contest going on between the 70# guys and the 60# guys, I just thought I would offer up a little food for thought.

Let me start by stating that I am 35 yrs. old,6'1" 235#'s. I have worked in jobs that could definitely be deemed "physical labor" my whole life. I am nowhere near the size of Big J, but I'm not small either. I have always been comfortable shooting 70#'s and have shot at least that for many years. A couple of years back I had an "old timer" who I respect a great deal tell me the best thing I could do to insure I continue to enjoy this sport as long as I can, would be to drop my draw weight 10 lbs. He had worked construction his whole life and was no small guy himself. He metold that for years he had shot 70-80#'s and always felt fine doing so. Then, one day he began to notice some discomfort in his shoulder at the end of a long target session. Long story short, he is now shooting a crossbow. The Dr. basically told him that between work and heavy draw weights, his shoulder was cashed.

My point is that if you have been shooting 70#'s and are happy with the performance and along comes a bow that will give you the exact same performance at 60#'s, why not shoot it? Sure, the 70# model of the same bow may even give you BETTER performance than what you are used to, but if what you have deemed acceptable all of those years has been getting the job done, do you NEED more?
The way I see it is this, if I am routinely blowing through deer, shoulders and all, at a certain speed shooting 70#'s and now I can do the same thing with the same results at 60#'s, why not do it? As I said before, it saves on the shoulder, becomes even more comfortable in weird positions, and allows me to shoot even longer with NO discomfort.

Before the brilliant, "Then why not just shoot 40#'s" remark is made, it's not apples to apples. The point is same speed, same K.E. at 60#'s as I'm getting at 70#'s.Shoot whatever makes you happy, but with today's bows and their efficiency, dropping a little in draw weight certainly couldn't hurt.
Good post and I agree totally. If Icould do one thing different in my 40 years of Bowhunting, I would drop to 60# 20 years earlier.

Dan
Old 02-20-2008, 03:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

ORIGINAL: BigJ71

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Tell me this, Don. What is the ADvantage for BigJ to shoot 60# limbs on his bow? What is the DISadvantage to him shooting 70# limbs.
I'd like to hear this answer.
I'm still waiting to read this answer.......Seems like a common problem on these boards lately.
Or anyone of us shooting a 70 lb bow, what disadvantage is our 70lb bow or why would I want to shoot a 60 lb bow if I'm very happy with my 70 or near 70 and hold it better than lower weighted bows. Some of us can handle it right BigJ. [8D]
Thats an easy one.... because everybody is a legend in their own mind. What you are telling me is that you can hold up 70#s longer than 60#s.... bull chit! Next to that bit in this mornings paper about Hillary Cilnton shooting skeet, and Rosie O'Donnell losing 50 #'s, thats the absolute biggest pile of crap I've ever read!

That said though... all this is relative. I'm a southern boy, we have small deer and we hunt from trees. Deer sneak up on us often and usually we have to take a shot sitting down... all the while working around the tree. Some of these german sheppard sized deer you could kill with a baseball from a full wind up. Half you boys who swear you can shoot 70#s and draw it all day like its nothing at all know for a fact, or at least are too proud to admit, that you couldn't sit on a park bench, pick your feet up off the ground and draw your bow without leaning back. I know there are folks on here that can do it, I'm sure... and it depends entirely on your bow, but with these new hyper aggressive cams, no way jack. You can probably do it with your Mathews, but you aren't shooting no 320s with your Mathews either, unless you have a draw length like Randy Johnson.

There is an advantage to shooting a 70# bow.... but not on whitetail deer. You can throw hypotheticals at me all day long about bones and energy and blah blah blah... but at the end of the day its like the difference between a 30/06 and a .375. How much more dead do you want.... and thats only if you can handle it as well. I have yet to see ANYBODY shoot a 70# bow as good as a 60# bow. If you think you can do it, cool, rock on bro good for you. All I can say is I have shot dozens on dozens of deer with 73#s and they are just as dead as the 3 I shot in October on 61#s.... and one of those I wouldn't have gotten a chance to shoot had I been pulling 73#s.... just don't think so.
Old 02-20-2008, 04:15 PM
Site Bouncer

ORIGINAL: SwampCollie

Half you boys who swear you can shoot 70#s and draw it all day like its nothing at all know for a fact, or at least are too proud to admit, that you couldn't sit on a park bench, pick your feet up off the ground and draw your bow without leaning back. I know there are folks on here that can do it, I'm sure... and it depends entirely on your bow, but with these new hyper aggressive cams, no way jack. You can probably do it with your Mathews, but you aren't shooting no 320s with your Mathews either, unless you have a draw length like Randy Johnson.
Swamp,

I can do that any day of the week.....and twice on Sundays..........with a 100lb bow.

You also must remember that even though folks live in areas where there are only medium sized game (Whitetails) a lot of folks here have, or will travel to other parts of the country and hunt much bigger game, I know I have.

What's wrong with wanting to put as much KE and arrow mass down range...especially if you can physically do it with no problem?

Will a 60lb bow kill just as good as a 70lb? that's debatable, I believe in certain circumstances the 60lb might be lacking. At some point it has to. Will it ever be substantial enough to make a difference in real world hunting situations? I don't know, but why should I give Mr. Murphy a chance when I don't have to?

Old 02-20-2008, 04:20 PM
Banned

NO DISadvantage.....ONLY ADvantages.
Wrong; NOISE. Lighter poundage bows shoot quieter.
Old 02-20-2008, 04:22 PM

BigJ shouldnt count tho, LOL. how many guys are former NFL Linemen?

I dont see the downside to 60 # bows. Whats the difference in shooting a new 60 # speed bow putting out more KE than say a 5 year old 70# bow. How is this lacking? And those saying the holding weight of 60 # bows makes you creep is a moot point. get a lower let off percentage, that way you will hold the same, but be pulling 10 #s less. Thats gotta be easier on your shoulder.

I shoot 70# as well. but am seriously considering 60# limbs on my next bow. But i have more than a few years to think about that, i love my Vectrix.
Old 02-20-2008, 04:22 PM
Banned

Tell me this, Don. What is the ADvantage for BigJ to shoot 60# limbs on his bow? What is the DISadvantage to him shooting 70# limbs.
I'd like to hear this answer.

I'm still waiting to read this answer.......Seems like a common problem on these boards lately.
It's called I left the office; LMAO!!! Sorry for not manning the computer all day for ya buddy.
Old 02-20-2008, 04:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: hardcorehunter

HCH, It's good to know you support Single Moms!! Somebody has got to

I saw that and had a good Laugh. I needed that!

Dan
Old 02-20-2008, 04:23 PM
Site Bouncer

ORIGINAL: hardcorehunter

Pure BS!

The noise a bow makes is far more relative to it's manufacturer (design) and components that it's draw weight.......try again.
Old 02-20-2008, 04:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Gosh.. their are WAY to many Bow"techers" on this site these days.

I blame the likes of Greg from Missoura and that Matt from Penn state.[:'(]

I'm gonna call you gents all "Techies". You guys need a good leader.. the "treckies" have captain Kirk.. who's your fearless leader..Techie.[8D]

Quick Reply: Running your Corvette in O/D

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.