Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Running your Corvette in O/D

Old 02-20-2008, 12:36 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Running your Corvette in O/D

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

I'm 43.
You're just a pup Jeff!I've shot 60# bows for about 4 years now for the most part. My Airborne 82 at 60# 28" draw is shooting a 30 grain heavy arrow 308 fps. I don't notice the difference in draw much from my Allegiance with speed mods. Jeff did you try the ESM mods on your 82?

Dan
Old 02-20-2008, 12:39 PM
Dominant Buck

I don't know what's on my bow, Dan. I really don't (mods).
Old 02-20-2008, 12:40 PM
Boone & Crockett

Jeff, all Airbornes are sent with the speed mods, Dan is refering to the Smooth mods which are available for purchase.
Old 02-20-2008, 01:14 PM
Site Bouncer

ORIGINAL: BigJ71

Tell me this, Don. What is the ADvantage for BigJ to shoot 60# limbs on his bow? What is the DISadvantage to him shooting 70# limbs.
I'd like to hear this answer.
I'm still waiting to read this answer.......Seems like a common problem on these boards lately.
Old 02-20-2008, 01:21 PM
Boone & Crockett

Tell me this, Don. What is the ADvantage for BigJ to shoot 60# limbs on his bow? What is the DISadvantage to him shooting 70# limbs.
I'm still waiting to read this answer.......Seems like a common problem on these boards lately.
Or anyone of us shooting a 70 lb bow, what disadvantage is our 70lb bow or why would I want to shoot a 60 lb bow if I'm very happy with my 70 or near 70 and hold it better than lower weighted bows. Some of us can handle it right BigJ. [8D]

Old 02-20-2008, 01:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think an advantage of adjustable DW that a lot a folks don't take advantage of is in tuning. If you build your arrow for a 65# DW then you can adjust the DW up or down a pound or two to fine tune the bow and arrow for the best dynamic spine. All too often I see that guys have a 60 or 70 # bow and it is maxed out. It may be a little more efficient and quiet when maxed out but, with todays quiet bows and bow technology, a 70# bow that is set to 65#'s or a 60# bow that is set to 55# will be immensely quieter and more efficient than a bow of 5 yrs ago and those 5 yr old bows were quiet and efficient enough to kill a lot of deer.
Old 02-20-2008, 01:33 PM
Dominant Buck

Bruce I can tell you for a fact that my 71# (maxed out) Allegiance LOVED being shot at 66#'s.

I shot it both ways....and it loved the lower poundage. It didn't like 62#'s.....but it loved 66.
Old 02-20-2008, 01:59 PM
Site Bouncer

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

Or anyone of us shooting a 70 lb bow, what disadvantage is our 70lb bow or why would I want to shoot a 60 lb bow if I'm very happy with my 70 or near 70 and hold it better than lower weighted bows. Some of us can handle it right BigJ. [8D]
You got that right Rob!

Even though GMMAT asked it, I'd still LOVE to hear how my shooting a 70lb bow is a disadvantage.

I think it might be time to cue the crickets on this one........
Old 02-20-2008, 02:29 PM
Site Buck Guru

ORIGINAL: brucelanthier

I think an advantage of adjustable DW that a lot a folks don't take advantage of is in tuning. If you build your arrow for a 65# DW then you can adjust the DW up or down a pound or two to fine tune the bow and arrow for the best dynamic spine. All too often I see that guys have a 60 or 70 # bow and it is maxed out. It may be a little more efficient and quiet when maxed out but, with todays quiet bows and bow technology, a 70# bow that is set to 65#'s or a 60# bow that is set to 55# will be immensely quieter and more efficient than a bow of 5 yrs ago and those 5 yr old bows were quiet and efficient enough to kill a lot of deer.
This is one of the first things I learned (the hard way) back when I bought my first compound bow. I shot fingers and sights with a 2216 arrow with a 125 gr broadhead. I started at a lower draw weight and progressively increased it. At 66 pounds, the bow/arrow combination shot fabulous. Not knowing any better I was determined to reach 70 pounds+. I finally reached 72 pounds and saw my groups starting to spread out (get worse). I thought it was just me, but no matter what I did, the groups never got back to the nice tight groups I had at 66 pounds. Finally I got smart and tried putting the weight back to 66 pounds and the tight groups came back. Now I tune all bows to my arrow.
Old 02-20-2008, 02:45 PM
Giant Nontypical

I don't know what's on my bow, Dan. I really don't (mods).
Jeff, the ESM mods are the smooth mods. They are smoother and will lose you a little speed since you are trying to Git'r down a little anyway.

Dan

Quick Reply: Running your Corvette in O/D

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.