Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Running your Corvette in O/D

Old 02-20-2008, 11:38 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Running your Corvette in O/D

Don:

If 60 is so good.....why don't you just go on down and shoot 40?

I mean really.....it would be easier to pull back....and hell, it's legal!

If a man has NO ISSUES pulling 70#'s.....he is shooting (in most instances) a faster arrow.....and creating more KE witht he added #'s of DW.

There is NO LOGIC if you get OFF the premise that people are having issues witht he DW at 70#'s. NO LOGIC.
Old 02-20-2008, 11:38 AM
bigcountry

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

I'm 43.
wow, your only 43. The way you were talking about old man this and that, I thought you were like 55.

Old 02-20-2008, 11:42 AM
Site Bouncer

ORIGINAL: hardcorehunter
70 # bows are dumb IMO in todays fast and highly efficient bows.
If one of todays60lb bows is fast and efficient then it's only logical that it's 70lb counterpart (all things being equal, same bow set up etc...) would bring more to the table than the 60lb would. So if you're strong enough to pull back a 70lb bow with no problems, why not go with the 70 lb bow? It can only hit harder due to the extra arrow weight, even if the speeds are the same. If you're not strong enough stick with the 60's

I think what Jeff is trying to say is that with this particular bow he finds the 70lb draw cycle to be harsher that the normal 70lb bows on the market and is giving a heads up to potential buyers who may be at their strengthlimit with their existing 70lb bow. Those folks will still get the performance they seek but don't need to do it in a 70lb package.

Old 02-20-2008, 11:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

I STRONGLY urge you to look at the 60# limbs.

Just a suggestion.
Didn't I tell you this last summer and you told me 70#s was the only way? A bow performs best at peak weight so instead of turning a 70# bow down to 60#, crank your 50-60 # bow all the way up which with my Tribute and Guardian is 61 and 62 #. 70 # bows are dumb IMO in todays fast and highly efficient bows.Glad to see you have seen the light."[8D]
Yes, today's bows are fast and highly efficient and getting better each year. The great thing about today's bows is that they make one to suit everyone's taste. 70# bows are dumb in your opinion and that is your taste.

Here is why they are not dumb for my tastes:
[ol][*]I have a 27.5 inch draw and like a smoother drawing bow for hunting that will still move a 425 grain+ arrow at a speed that will ensure good penetration with any broadhead I choose. With a 27.5 inch draw you can knock 25 fps right off of every IBO speed, most of which are inflated anyway. Draw weight will keep that speed, especially with a heavier arrow.[*]Most bows are 80% let-off standard and adjustments in let-off also often change draw length and valley which are both negatives IMO. A 60 lb. bowwith an 80% let-off will have a 12 lb. hold weight. For me, anything less than 15 lbs. of hold weight and I find myself creeping. I prefer 17-18 lbs. of hold weight.[*]I am comfortable shooting out to 40 yards at game, though I won't do it unless conditions are right. At a lower draw weight, with a heavier arrow, and a short draw length a miscalculation of yardage becomes much more critical. That comfort zone is diminished.[*]Why buy a speed demon bow that you have to crank down to under 60#s to shoot comfortably when you can have a smooth drawing bow that you can shoot at whatever draw weight you want? There is nothing wrong with either, just a personal preference.[/ol]
So, while a 70# bow may be dumb for your applications we all have different needs and desires in a bow. I'll keep my dumb 70# limbs thanks.
Old 02-20-2008, 11:44 AM
Dominant Buck

BigJ:

That's exactly what I'm saying.

Old 02-20-2008, 11:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bigcountry

I'm 43.
wow, your only 43. The way you were talking about old man this and that, I thought you were like 55.
Yep. Sad thing is, he's youngerthan I am. That's depressing.
Old 02-20-2008, 11:59 AM
Banned

Let's see; I can shoot a 70# bow comfortably and Ijust made the switch to 60# last year after these forums taught me info that helped my decision. Now lets's see, I live in a state that has hugeIbex, Oryx, elk, bear, mountain lion, antelope, javelina, 3 deer species, and turkey; and yet I don't feel the need to return to 70# bows???? I MUST BE CRAZY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 90% of the 70# pro advocates live in states with only two big game animals; a deer and a turkey, and this is all they will hunt. Just making observations
Old 02-20-2008, 12:05 PM
Dominant Buck

Why swing a heavier baseball bat?

Why swing a heavier golf club?

Best reason I can think of is.......Because you CAN....and there is NO DISadvantage.....ONLY ADvantages.

Tell me this, Don. What is the ADvantage for BigJ to shoot 60# limbs on his bow? What is the DISadvantage to him shooting 70# limbs.
Old 02-20-2008, 12:08 PM
Site Bouncer

Tell me this, Don. What is the ADvantage for BigJ to shoot 60# limbs on his bow? What is the DISadvantage to him shooting 70# limbs.
I'd like to hear this answer.
Old 02-20-2008, 12:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

Let's see; I can shoot a 70# bow comfortably and Ijust made the switch to 60# last year after these forums taught me info that helped my decision. Now lets's see, I live in a state that has hugeIbex, Oryx, elk, bear, mountain lion, antelope, javelina, 3 deer species, and turkey; and yet I don't feel the need to return to 70# bows???? I MUST BE CRAZY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 90% of the 70# pro advocates live in states with only two big game animals; a deer and a turkey, and this is all they will hunt. Just making observations
I guess you feel that shooting a bow with max 60# limbs suits your tastes. For me and many others it doesn't.

Why do you care so much about what others choose to shoot? As long as someone isn't overbowing themselves what difference does it make, other than having more KE than they may need?

Quick Reply: Running your Corvette in O/D

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.