Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

[Deleted]

Old 02-20-2008, 05:40 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 02-20-2008, 05:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Do you Turkey Hunt your deer properties ?

ORIGINAL: DropTine249

Am I too paranoid ?
Depends on your situation. In your case, as long as you can hunt seperate properties, and if your deer property doesn't see much human activity outside of hunting season, then I feel your approach is correct.

I turkey hunt on the same property I deer hunt. I live on the property I deer hunt and turkey hunt. We farm/plant food plots on the land we turkey/deer hunt. We take walks on the property we turkey/deer hunt. In a nutshell, are we potentially altering travel patterns/behaviors of the general deer population? Absolutely not (in my case). Deer sightings in general have only gone up in recent years on our property (ironically these past few years have seen the most activity throughou the year on the property. There are certainly core areas I don't travel in/around for the majority of the season, but a large part of our property does get used year round. IMHO, and it's not gospel, and certainly doesn't hold true for ALL properties, but I feel the deer are quite accustomed to the human activity on our land. It has been farmed and lived on for over 100 years. Just my theory. If my land was offsite of where I lived I may be more apt to "tread lightly," but (and I made a post about this earlier) I'm not going to not USE the land I live on to its fullest potential.
Old 02-20-2008, 05:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

I "turkey hunt" the same land that I deer hunt.

If I happen to see a turkey while deer hunting I'll shoot it.
Old 02-20-2008, 06:09 AM

yeah I do
Old 02-20-2008, 06:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yep. Working farm as well. There is so much human/canine activity around our hunt club that laying off it during turkey season wouldn't do any good. Not to mention that if we weren't there... somebody else probably would be.... people these days....
Old 02-20-2008, 06:25 AM
Dominant Buck

Yep. I shot my first bow turkey about 10 yds from where I shot my first bow deer.

Pressure deer during summer scouting/stand hanging. - Not me
Pressure deer duringbow season. - Guilty as charged
Pressure deer during gun season. - Gun? What's that?
Pressure deer during post-season scouting/shed hunting. - Not me. Your choice.
Pressure deer while removing stands. - Not me. Your choice.
Pressure deer while turkey scouting. - Nope. I know where they are.
Pressure deer while turkey hunting. - A few times in the Spring? I'll take my chances.
Pressure deer while hanging bedding stands in the spring. - Not me. Your choice.
Round and round we go !! - You go in there a LOT. I'll give you that.

Old 02-20-2008, 06:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you've been successful for deer here then you must be doing something right. Simply adapt and improvise the way you turkey hunt. While it's not necessary to control human odor while turkey hunting (Thank God!) you may want to continue doing so as if you were deer hunting. If you'll be bow hunting you may want to use a ground blind or some sort. Either a natural blind or a commercial one. Remember, a deers eyesight simply doesn't compare to a turkeys vision and combining the camo you'll need to fool a turkey's eyes and the scent control to fool a deer's nose would go a long way in preserving your spot for future deer hunting.
Old 02-20-2008, 07:32 AM

Never been turkey hunting, but i wanna start and when i do it will be on the same property.
Old 02-20-2008, 07:52 AM
Fork Horn

I turkey hunt the same area I deer hunt. Ifthere is a pile of deer on a track, and a pile of turkeys on the same track, I'm hunting this one in season regardless.
Old 02-20-2008, 07:55 AM
Typical Buck

haha I think you are being a little paranoid but I'm impressed with the steps you take to not pressure your deer. There are usually at least four months or so between turkey hunting and deer season, so i doubt any pressure you would put on them during turkey season would have much effect on deer season.

Quick Reply: [Deleted]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.