Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

[Deleted]

Old 02-20-2008, 04:18 PM

Default RE: Do you Turkey Hunt your deer properties ?

I enjoy hunting turkey more than deer......I hope im not pressuring my turkey flocks during deer season.[8D]

IMO what you do during turkey season wont amount to a hill of beans. Stay away from known bedding areas and you should be good. Heck most turkey hunting for me is done in or near fields.
Old 02-20-2008, 04:49 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: TEmbry

I enjoy hunting turkey more than deer......I hope im not pressuring my turkey flocks during deer season.[8D]

IMO what you do during turkey season wont amount to a hill of beans. Stay away from known bedding areas and you should be good. Heck most turkey hunting for me is done in or near fields.
Exactly! Ithought I loved to hunt deer...that is until I went turkey hunting for the first time!Now, like you, I steer clear of roosting areas and don't mind pushing deer around doing so. I'll take a wise old tom any day over a deer.
Old 02-20-2008, 05:22 PM
Dominant Buck

If there are turkeys there... sure I do. Turkey season and archery season are 5 months apart. You're stinking up your woods unnecessarily... but I'm sure they're used to it. All this summer scouting and stand hanging should be condensed. You want to walk in the woods... find some state land. LOL I think summer time scouting is pretty much a waste. If there are fields around the deer are feeding there. Scouting can be done with binos. Oak ridges or whatever are in the same places they were last year. All you have to do is find out which area has some nuts. Post season scouting, I know there have been a zillion articles written saying how important it is to them. I say that 95 percent of what you find out is useless by next fall or could have been deduced from past years activities. Farmers play in fields all year long and it doesn't effect deer...but go running around in their bedrooms can have a very harmful effect. Stands in bedding areas should be a last resort thingy. Hunt the edges or trails to them. You want to screw up deer... stink up the bedding area a half dozen times a year.

Well, deer hunting is more important to me than turkey hunting. So, I do whatever I can to maximize my deer hunting properties. We even POST the properties based on wind direction !! Talk about crazy ??

We rarely bring guns out, and it shows. I shot a mature doe with my muzzleloader at like 18 yards. There were 11 other deer with her. Non eof them ran, they just kept eating. Pressured properties, they would have gotten out of there quick, fast and in a hurry.

Anyway, like I said. All the "minor" intrusions add up. Stands, cameras, feeders/troughs, posting and so on. So, why add another ? I'll turkey huntand deer hunt our farm, but thats different because those deer are pretty cool with people and its not my best spot, by far. Also, the deer are not in the same place as the turkeys.
Sounds like you have a petting zoo going there. Heck, definitely no need to be invading the bedding areas.
Old 02-20-2008, 05:49 PM
Typical Buck

Hmmm, I hunt both all over the area. And then, to top it off there are horses, four wheelers and motorcycles ridden all over the place by others also. May not be the best for all of these to be done on the hunting area, but I've still seen more deer and turkeys than most people I know who only go into their hunting areas to scout and hunt.
Old 02-20-2008, 05:53 PM
Giant Nontypical

Yes. My deer spot is also about the best place I have to turkey hunt as well. My 5 trips a season aren't going to make or break my fall. My impact on the place I hunt is about .1% of all the total impacts that take place on the land. And that includes my impacts from all year. My area gets a ton of pressure.
Old 02-20-2008, 06:00 PM

There are turkey around but not on our place but if there were you bet I would hunt them.
Old 02-20-2008, 07:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Pressure deer during summer scouting/stand hanging. 2 out of 365 days
Pressure deer duringbow season. Some, but with low impact entries and hunting with the wind, this is kept to a minimum
Pressure deer during gun season.Yes, for sure. It can't be helped.
Pressure deer during post-season scouting/shed hunting. 2 or 3 more days out of the year
Pressure deer while removing stands.
I don't do it until they need moved/ hung in the summer, thus keeping intrusion to a minimum
Pressure deer while turkey scouting. This does not have to be done up close and personal.
Pressure deer while turkey hunting. Its hunting, not banging through the woods with stands and such.

So ya, I do hunt both....mainly because the property has both of them.

Old 02-20-2008, 07:54 PM
Boone & Crockett

I hunt for both, kill both every year.
Old 02-21-2008, 02:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

yup in a few of my areas
Old 02-21-2008, 04:29 PM
Typical Buck

YES.

I'm with Tembry on this one. Turkey's are my first love. I've always said that deer hunting is just a good excuse to get into the woods before Hunting Season. (For those of you that don't get it,I'm sorry).

Quick Reply: [Deleted]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.