Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Follow up shots...

Old 02-20-2008, 05:43 PM

Default RE: Follow up shots...

ORIGINAL: MN/Kyle

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

MN/Dan....if you can get another arrow in him....without spooking him ......why not shoot him, again? I am really curious.
Because I think that is impossible, maybe not before the shot, but def. after it. You shoot him again, he is going to run away(99% of the time), and fast with more adrenaline. IMO it's like taking up tracking too early.
I'm with GMMAT,
I've never been shot by an arrow, but I don't see how a deer can have any more adrenaline with 2 arrows in them than 1.
Old 02-20-2008, 06:06 PM
Boone & Crockett

Well if the exact scenario happened I might not shoot. My mind set is if I can shoot a deer again I will more holes= more bleeding =shorter tracking job.

Here's someone that thought they had a perfect shot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PILwgpJ-WaE&feature=related
Old 02-20-2008, 06:22 PM

In that case I would not shot again. However, I have let another one go when (as it can and will happen) I dont hit where I was aiming. I think this happens more often thansome admit.
Old 02-20-2008, 06:59 PM
Boone & Crockett

Seen it so many times "it was a perfect shot" where the heck is the deer then?????????????????
Old 02-20-2008, 07:14 PM

I had a situation similar to this pan out this year in firestick season. I shot a buck at 25 yards, "perfect" double lung shot, he ran 10 yards, fell down and got back up. I put another shot through both lungs again. Both shots ended up hitting within 2" of each other.

There were multiple reasons I took the 2nd shot:

1. I hate seeing an animal suffer a slow death. I want them to go from shot to dead ASAP.
2. I hunt on public land and I've seen more hunters than deer every day I have ever hunted there, so I didn't want to take a chance of my buck running over a ridge and someone else tagging it.
3. I haven't been hunting long enough to be great at tracking so I try to limit my need to do it.
4. He was right by a ridge that led down a huge hill directly opposite from where my car was parked which was already 3/4 of a mile through brush and over a river away.
5. It was starting to get dark quick and I wanted to get as close to out of the woods as possible before dark.
6. I've heard too many stories both on here and in person of deer who had been shot perfectly once running long distances and occasionally not being recovered.
7. I'd rather waste 1/2 lb of meat and know I have a deer than lose a deer with that extra meat still on it.
8. I was shotgun hunting and an extra $2 slug is a lot easier to part with than a $20 arrow

Whether you think it's right or wrong, that's what I did and he dropped right there, took about 3 breaths and passed.
Old 02-20-2008, 07:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Glad it worked out for you, congrats on the deer.
Old 02-20-2008, 07:24 PM

ORIGINAL: Washington Hunter

Here's the situation;

You've just made what could be considered a great shot on a buck. He runs ten yards from where you shot him and stops. You can see blood coming out of his wound and you know he'll go down in due time.

Would you take another shot? Why or why not?
Old 02-20-2008, 08:00 PM
Boone & Crockett

How long is due time?
Old 02-20-2008, 08:05 PM
Dominant Buck

And how long do I have to decide?

If I've got time to decide....I have time to shoot.

I think that guy in the youtube said his hit was perfect. "Due time" looked to be about a week on that recovery.
Old 02-20-2008, 10:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

I shot a Doe, she went down in her tracks. I could see her trying to get up, I waited, then decided to shoot her again, hit her, she then got up and ran 100 yards or so! If I would of just waited longer instead of shooting again it wouldn't of been such a chore to track this deer in the heat and thru the night! Each situation is different.