Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Follow up shots...

Old 02-20-2008, 02:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Follow up shots...

There is only "1" good reason to take a second shot on a wounded deer: If the first shot was bad.

That's Gospel.

LT
Old 02-20-2008, 02:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

MN/Dan....if you can get another arrow in him....without spooking him ......why not shoot him, again? I am really curious.
Because I think that is impossible, maybe not before the shot, but def. after it. You shoot him again, he is going to run away(99% of the time), and fast with more adrenaline. IMO it's like taking up tracking too early.
Old 02-20-2008, 02:31 PM
Dominant Buck

What do you base the 99% figure on? Your own experience? I've loosed follow up shots on deer that went ZERO yards after the follow up. I'd like to know if your last post was what you think "might" happen....or what you know to happen.

It's just not been the case with me.

Tell me about your follow up shot experiences. Ya'll might change my mind

There is only "1" good reason to take a second shot on a wounded deer: If the first shot was bad.

That's Gospel.
And LT....the reason I take a follow up shot on a deer is.....because I CAN. "Almost" any time I CAN.....I'm gonna fire. I fail to see the resoning behind NOT doing so.
Old 02-20-2008, 02:35 PM
Nontypical Buck

What do you base the 99% figure on? Your own experience? I've loosed follow up shots on deer that went ZERO yards after the follow up. I'd like to know if your last post was what you think "might" happen....or what you know to happen.

okay, I shouldn't have edited that to put "99%" in, thought you might ONLY look at that. It is what I THINK might happen, only because I've only taken one follow up and that was a spine shot ONE time. All the others have been good shots, longest track (on a deer)was 40 yards...could I on some of my deer//caribou/bear taken a follow up? Sure! Have I, No. Why...because of that I said in my earlier post.

edit: are you saying you put another arrow through the boiler room and the deer didn't take off? curious.
Old 02-20-2008, 02:37 PM

MN/Dan....if you can get another arrow in him....without spooking him ......why not shoot him, again? I am really curious.
A) Because I don't see the point at slinging a $20 arrow at a deer that will die in 20 seconds.
B) I don't want to risk stressing the deer out further and causing him to run any farther than he has.

I honestly don't believe a deer with two, three, or four arrows in his lungs/heart is going to die any faster than a deer with one arrow in his lungs/heart. Find me hard proof that they will die faster, and maybe I'll buy into it.
Old 02-20-2008, 02:41 PM
Dominant Buck

A) Because I don't see the point at slinging a $20 arrow at a deer that will die in 20 seconds.
Fine, Dan. If you KNOW they're gonna die in 20 seconds......you're the man.

B) I don't want to risk stressing the deer out further and causing him to run any farther than he has.
If he's been shot with an arrow....how in the hell......

Ya know.....nevermind.
Old 02-20-2008, 02:44 PM

Fine, Dan. If you KNOW they're gonna die in 20 seconds......you're the man.

If he's been shot with an arrow....how in the hell......

Ya know.....nevermind.
I've never known a deer shot through both lungs to live for more than 30 seconds to a minute, Jeff. Liver shot, sure. Lungs/heart? No way.

Old 02-20-2008, 02:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Old 02-20-2008, 02:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: MN/Kyle

okay, I shouldn't have edited that to put "99%" in, thought you might ONLY look at that. It is what I THINK might happen, only because I've only taken one follow up and that was a spine shot ONE time. All the others have been good shots, longest track (on a deer)was 40 yards...could I on some of my deer//caribou/bear taken a follow up? Sure! Have I, No. Why...because of that I said in my earlier post.

edit: are you saying you put another arrow through the boiler room and the deer didn't take off? curious.
?
Old 02-20-2008, 02:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

Twenty bucks is a piss poor reason not to insure as swift a kill as possible.

How many times do guys post here about where they thought they hit a deer?[:-]

If moneys that short, get another or a better job.

Quick Reply: Follow up shots...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.