Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Follow up shots...

Old 02-19-2008, 11:04 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Follow up shots...

Well put.

ORIGINAL: MNpurple

Yes and No. If you do really have a good shot and he runs 10 yards and stops, that means he doesnt know what just happened (he doesnt know you are there!). If it is perfect hit, he is going down anyway.

IF it isnt, then your greatest asset at this point in time is that he doesnt know you are there. If you can get another shot in him without spooking him, then do it. If you cant get another shot off without spooking him, I stay perfectly still because he will probably walk away and bed down in short order leaving you a couple hours to eat, take a nap, call some buddies and come drag your buck out.
Old 02-20-2008, 12:03 AM
TJF
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: TeeJay

Well put.

ORIGINAL: MNpurple

Yes and No. If you do really have a good shot and he runs 10 yards and stops, that means he doesnt know what just happened (he doesnt know you are there!). If it is perfect hit, he is going down anyway.

IF it isnt, then your greatest asset at this point in time is that he doesnt know you are there. If you can get another shot in him without spooking him, then do it. If you cant get another shot off without spooking him, I stay perfectly still because he will probably walk away and bed down in short order leaving you a couple hours to eat, take a nap, call some buddies and come drag your buck out.
What he said.

Tim
Old 02-20-2008, 04:59 AM
Nontypical Buck

If you made a great hit on him an he runs 10 yards an stops an you can see bloodcoming out of him. He is not going to die any faster with another arrow in him.You are just going to send him running again when you shoot him because, he is going to be spooked an be reminded of what is happening.He is not in his right frame of mind standing there with a hole through both lungs an wondering what happen. He willfall soon. No , I would not shoot him again.
Old 02-20-2008, 05:07 AM
Dominant Buck

If you can get another shot in him without spooking him, then do it.
I agree with this.

Let's put it this way......the times I DON'T attempt a follow up shot are gonna be few and far between. I agree with PSE......I'll shoot until he's out of range or still (dead).
Old 02-20-2008, 05:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

If I know (100%)the shot is good. Double Lung and/or heart. No, no follow-up. He's not gonna die any faster at that point.
Old 02-20-2008, 05:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Funny you ask this...My buck this year did this. He ran 30 yards or so and stopped I saw the blood pumping out his lungs. I never knocked another arrow I was watching him the whole time and it never crossed my mind I knew he was dead! He did however stand there for like 10 seconds then ran sideways like 5 ft. and fell over. So the answer for me is no if you make a good shot the animal is dead so there is no need.
Old 02-20-2008, 05:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: OKbowhunter20

NO...if i knew it was a good shot I wouldn't shoot again for two reasons

1. Another shot could just make him run and create a tracking job, whereas he could just go down right where he is standing...assuring recovery

2. Why waste an arrrow?
I agree.
Old 02-20-2008, 06:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

I assume we are isolating this scenario to bow only.

If he is definitely hit hard, bleeding and standing still, I would probably remain motionless and keep a close eye on him. He could easily depart/disappear unnoticed while I retrieve and nock an additional arrow. In any case, he is likely tohead for the next zip code on the follow up shot which could exponentially increase the difficulty of tracking. He will probably fall before you can stealthily shoot again.

There are so many unspecified variables that it is a completely situational judgment -

terrain ........................thick? swampy?
upcoming weather ................rain? snow? warm temps?
other hunters .......is the local dog/rifle/truck/dip spittin/gumint hating/good ole boy hunting crowd unloading ona nearby property?
size of property for tracking .................................................m aybe next door grandma won't allow tracking
presentation of follow-up shot ......................................range, angle, lane
proximity and spookiness of other deer to alert.................is there an ancient bottle nose doe staring at me from under the stand?

The use of an additional arrow would not be a consideration for me. I have lost and broken a pile of arrows overstupid-er stuff.

Old 02-20-2008, 08:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

if he is standing there at 10 yards i might try another shot.
Old 02-20-2008, 08:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

It really depends on the scenario. If there are other hunters around yes. If he looked like he was going to stay putI would be ready with another arrow. May use it may not. I do what feels right at the time I don't get over analytical.

Quick Reply: Follow up shots...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.