Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

West Virginia Guys

Old 02-19-2008, 01:24 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default West Virginia Guys

I got a brief bit on the morning news.

Something about Hunters Ed being offered in Schools?

What grade? Optional or required?

Sounds like a good way to get youth involved. Interested on hearing more.
Old 02-19-2008, 01:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: West Virginia Guys

I believe that they are considering doing it for middle school aged kids. The license sales are down. I took it when I was in Jr. High, but that was a long time ago.
Old 02-19-2008, 01:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think it's just the one day class so kids can take the test for Hunters safety which is required. To my knowledge it has always been offered in the schools since the law was changed.
Old 02-19-2008, 01:32 PM

http://www.wvdnr.gov/2007news/07news109.shtm
HERE IS THE LINK ON THE DNR WEB SITE TALKING ABOUT ONLINE HUNTERS ED. BUT IT WAS BACK IN 7/07.
http://www.register-herald.com/local/local_story_049211257.html
HERE IS THE LINK TO THE ARTICLE IN THE REGISTER HERALD ABOUT THE SCHOOL COURSE IDEA.
http://www.register-herald.com/local/local_story_048223527.html
HERE IS THE LINK TO THE ARTICLE ON MAKING SENIORS BUY A HUNTING LICENSE. IF YOU DIDN'T KNOW, WV ALLOWS SENIORS TO HUNT AND FISH FOR FREE.
Old 02-19-2008, 01:42 PM

WHAT I THINK IS CRAZY, THEY WANT TO CHARGE SENIORS A ONE TIME FEE, BECAUSE THE NUMBER OF LICENSES ARE DOWN, BUT WHAT DO THEY EXPECT TO HAPPEN WHEN THEY DOUBLE THE COST OF HUNTING AND FISHING LICENSES. I KNOW LAND OWNERS THATUSUALLY BUY LICENCES TO HELP OUT, EVEN THOUGH THEY DON'T HAVE TOO. BUT NOW, THERE NOT BUYING THEM DUE TO THE PRICE ADJUSTMENT BY OUR FINE STATE. THEY WANT TO JUSTIFY THE PRICE DUE TO THE COST OF THE DNR AND WILDLIFE SERVICES AROUND THE STATE, BUT THERE NOT HIRING MORE PEOPLE OR STOCKING MORE TROUT. I WONDER HOW THEY JUSTIFY SUCH A LARGE JUMP ON FEES DURING THE LAST FEW YEARS. AS LONG AS I HAVE BEEN HUNTING AND FISHING, I HAVE NEVER BEEN CHECKED BY THE DNR. THERE ISN'T ENOUGH OF THEM TO PATROL THE STATE THAT IS REALLY NEEDED. I'M ALL FOR UPING FEES AND HIRING MORE QUALIFIED PEOPLE. BUT FOR NOW WV THINKS LESS IS MORE, I GUESS. PS THANKS FOR LETTING ME VENT!
Old 02-19-2008, 01:59 PM

I took my hunters safety course and got my card when i was in the 5th grade. They did it as a part of our physical education program. I recently took the course again with my fiance' when she got her card.
Old 02-19-2008, 02:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

My daughter's school has a Hunter Safety Team sponsored by the state of North Carolina. They shoot small bore rifle, skeet and bow. They alsonavigate an orienteering-type course with compasses. She loves it and she regularly smokes the local farm boys with her bow.

A lot of my hunting is in the Keyser, WV area and (from the gunfire on the rifle opener) there must be a lot of hunters. Maybe they just don't buy licenses...