Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Another land question.

Old 02-19-2008, 10:14 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Another land question.

Just how many of you have given any thought to buying hunting land?

In 1 year ?5 years? For retirement?

If not........ Why? Cost,Time .money or a combo of all of the above.

Old 02-19-2008, 10:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Another land question.

I've thought about it a lot. Up until now, I probably never would have even come close to affording it. Now I probably could if I really wanted to. BUT, If it was close enough for me to use often, I'd be lucky to get 20 acres. Probably closer to 10. Anything substantial would be too far away for me to use on any regular basis. I wouldn't be able to keep tresspassers off. I also would have to make other sacrifices in my style of living which I'm not sure I'd care to make. I don't really care about having it to hunt on when I'm retired as almost everyone I know who IS retired, has lost the drive to hunt seriously. I'm finding enough enjoyment in hunting different places that I'm not as worried about having one place to hunt. I'd feel very much obligated to hunt there ALWAYS, and I am liking the variety I've developed.
Old 02-19-2008, 10:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

I plan to purchase some hopefully by summer/fall of 2009. I'll be close to 25, and just married, but I've been fortunate enough to be able to save quite a bit of income from now until then. My dad plans to buy our neighbors 120acre tract to add in to our 90, and I know he intends to sell a piece to me, but I doubt I will do it. I want to find my own ground to start off on my own. Land in our area is relatively affordable, although there's still specific areas that draws high dollars. I couldn't NOT live on land, although I doubt it will be anything over 20 acres.

Old 02-19-2008, 10:31 AM
Giant Nontypical

My wife and I are looking now for an affordable place. It will probably be at least an hour away if not closer to 3. Land close to home is just not affordable to us. I'm hoping for 50-75 acres although if I get the right 20-30 acres I'll be happy. I have 5 acres now that gives me the opportunity to dove hunt and I've killed a few yotes too, but there are no deer here.
Old 02-19-2008, 10:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

The set-up I have right now is pretty sweet. There are400 mostly wooded acres and about 5 of us that split the tab for planting, building stands, maintaining the cabin and equipment. Plus, there is somone living on the property to keep out tresspassers.

The bad part is the land is already contractually sold (to the Conservation Dept) with the ownership being transferred upon the death of the current owners. When that occurs I'm going to have to look at making an investment or stick to public land.
Old 02-19-2008, 10:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

I wish our state wildlife agencies to a more serious look at hunters owning land. Loss of hunt able ground is a huge factor in hunter numbers and time spent afield.
Young hunters never give thought to the value of owning land,most are more than glad to invest in a 401 K but never give a land purchase a passing glance. That 401 K money can't be touched until your 59 !/2 years old,you can enjoy the land an hour after the closing.Need cash 38% taxes plus a ten percent penalty on the 401 ,you can borrow against the land.
As an investment for yourself & your family nothing will beat land, and if yours gets to valuable sell it for a huge profit and buy a bigger piece. Its a win win.
Old 02-19-2008, 10:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

Jim Bro, You know I'm always looking. In fact spent the bulk of the morning looking. Lots of land up your way.

My issue is I'd love to have it in Ohio but thats 3k+ per acredepending on the land. In Pa I can find good tracts for 1K acreper.

I'm trying..just haven't pulled the trigger yet.
Old 02-19-2008, 10:54 AM
Super Moderator

I actually am a co-owner of 234 acres right now, but we plan on selling it something this year or next. See, the other owners are my 4 sisters and brother. My brother still lives on the family land and he can live there as long as he wants. I can't afford to buy their shares, so I plan on taking mine and buying what I can here in Illinois. It won't be much but if I can be patient and find the right land for hunting and in a good location, it should be a good investment for our kids.
Old 02-19-2008, 11:00 AM
Giant Nontypical

There are down sides to owning land also, several years back I bought three vacant parcels from a bank.
The location sucked,it was on a steep hill side. But the place had 18 red oaks over 30 inches and 55 cherry trees about the same size. Plus miscellaneous other less valuable stuff but I was going to make some serious cash then dump the place.
Well I got busy and didn't get it timbered right a way but that winter after a late season grouse hunt ,

Did I mention this land is in another town 40 miles away?

My freind wanted to see my land purchase. Well we couldn't find it,being winter and allthings looked different,but after a little looking we found my now clear cut land. We found it by asking a local guy that was cutting fire woodon my land who owned the land where he was cutting, he spit out my name and told me what a nice guy I was for giving him all of this fire wood.

Then he looked at me and asked what my name was..
Old 02-19-2008, 11:02 AM
Giant Nontypical

How'd that lawsuit work out for ya??

Quick Reply: Another land question.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.