Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Another land question.

Old 02-19-2008, 11:02 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Another land question.

I am the last in the line that carries my name.........in a sense. My grandpa had 9 brothers and sisters. I won't have a son that carries my last name.....but there's land that's been in my family for generations that I WILL have the opportunity to purchase in the coming years. It so happens that I have avery affluent cousin with two boys (same last name). Any land I may want to purchase will be (when I purchase it) in their name......and I'm "OK" with it remaining that way after I'm gone. I'll likely (already got it in the works) purchase 20 acres or so.....but I'll leave the door open for their heirs to get access to that when I'm gone. My son will inherit 60 acres from his grandfather.....and that'll be his to do whatever he chooses with. Good for him.

By me not purchasing this family land (the land I am looking into hunting, right now).....I'll still have access to it for the rest of my life to hunt if I so choose. I just haven't given it a fair look until now. They don't need the money .....so they won't be selling.

Lisa and I will build there in the future.......maybe something small to spend weekends on for several years......maybe retire there. If I thought for a minute there was a chance it would leave our family.....I'd make other arrangements. That isn't a worry.

Old 02-19-2008, 11:15 AM
Fork Horn

i just started a post stating that i am in the process of purchasing 10 acres of land. we intend to build there in the future, but for now it is going to be my hunting grounds. man, i can't wait to get out of town!
Old 02-19-2008, 11:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

i for sure want to buy some land hopefully in the next 5 years
Old 02-19-2008, 11:22 AM
Super Moderator

Just thought of something else my son told me the other day.........he is already thinking ahead, told me to plant a small grove of walnut trees on it.
Old 02-19-2008, 11:23 AM
Nontypical Buck

I purchased a farm almost exactly one year ago. It is the farm next to my parent's farm (borders to east) and my grandparent's farm (borders to south). I am still always looking though. There is another 100 acres to the north that is for sale right now, but with things the way they are I don't think that it will sell. That is good for me, because I want it and can't afford it right now. There is also a 17 acre patch of woods that borders my grandparent's to the east that I would love to buy and the owner recently moved to AK. He hasn't put it up for sale yet, but I suspect and hope that he will before too terribly long. Although it is a small parcel, it has some great hunting spots on it. The farmer to the south of my grandparents is also getting older and he owns approx. 100 acres on our side of the road and another 300 on the other side. If I could somehow get the 100 acres to the north of me, the 100 to the south of my grandparents and the 17 acres to the east, I think I might finally be satisfied... but I doubt it
Old 02-19-2008, 11:26 AM
Nontypical Buck

I just closed on 84 acres a month ago. Been busy scouting and making food plot plans.
Old 02-19-2008, 11:26 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: GR8atta2d

How'd that lawsuit work out for ya??
I quit paying the properly taxes.

The land holds little to no value as it sits. The cops won't prosecute the local guy that timbered it."No witnesses" they say ,of course the neighborI found cutting fire wood told me who timbered it, but to keep him fromhaving his trailerburnt out he would like to be unheard of ,and I can't blame him,it wasn't his timber. I do have little doubt he had a heads up on what was going to happen if he talked.
Its still up for tax sale if yer interested?

Hell another 60 maybe 70 years there will be timber on it again.