Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Peep Tubing........

Old 02-19-2008, 06:07 PM

Default RE: Peep Tubing........

ORIGINAL: davidmil

Now as most of you know I'm a big advocate of peep tubing. I think the pros far outweigh the cons and apparently so do a lot of the "Pro" TV hunters as well. Yet every time it's brought up on these boards folks shoot it down like it's the plague or something, why?
And if you were to look down the line at the Vegas shoot or any other shoot where the big boys are.... how many rubber stretchy things do you think you'd see.[8D] It's a quick fix for a crappy setup. LOL

Ill have to kndly disagree on that one....I use a tube, but I have all confidence that if I took it off, my peep would be just fine......to me, its insurance....I want to eleminate all possible things that could go wrong when it comes down to crunch time up in the tree
Old 02-19-2008, 10:14 PM
Site Bouncer

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

ORIGINAL: BigJ71

My original question was why do so many TV hunters use a tubed peep? It seemed like every show I watched, the bow hunter had a tube on the peep. I was just in Bass Pro Shops last weekend and I was walking through the archery department. They had a tape on one of the many monitors above the displays of a bow hunt in progress. I stopped to watch it for a while (couldn't tell you who it was) and sure enough the guy in the film was also using a tubed peep.

Just something I observed and was curious about.
Here's my opinion to your original question BigJ,

It's probably because these TV "hunters" don't know enough not to use a peep. A peep is a guarantee and they don't set their own bows up or perhaps have the knowledge to train a peep. Prior to loops, I'd bet more of use used the tube, I did but today with higher quality strings, loops and knowledge, I see no need for them.

Most of these on air type personalities barely hit a target from some of the shows I've seen. They are "friends" of the TV personality and although they are definately bowhunters, very few are archers. (If that makes sense).

Kinda what Greg was saying.
Rob,

I see your point and to a certain extent that's probably true, however, the percentage of those who use peeps with the tubing (on these shows) is fairly substantial. I find it difficult to fathom none of those guys set their own bows up or are "archers".So let's assume some do set their own bows up,are you suggesting that none of them know enough about bows to make a educated decision about the type of peep is best for a hunting bow? None of them know how to work on their bows or train a peep or position a loop?

I know how to set a bow up, I've done so for many years. I alsouse quality stings.Surely you're not suggestingI don'thave enough knowledge to train a peep or install a loop because I use a peep with tubing? Are you saying that just because folks don't use a tubeless peep they "don't know enough" I don't think you mean that at all, (I really don't)but that's how it sounds, maybe I'm misreading it.

My peep rotates into position every time I draw my bow even without the tubing attached. There are a lot of posts on this site about peeps not rotating into position and while I'm sure most are due to them not being set up correctly or poor quality strings, I'm sure some were set up correctly with good strings. I'll say it again, even the best made, best material string and cable can and do creep under certain situations.

The way I look at it is simple with a tube style peep installed and installed correctly, you get the best of both worlds. The peep will align into position every time because it was set up correctly and in the event that it won't quite align perfect, (for what ever reason) the tube will be there to align it thus allowing you to make your shot.

What are these hunters loosing? a few fps which is relative to sight adjustment and a slight amount of additional sound which is questionable as to whether or not it can ever be proved to have caused a missed shot.

Don't be so quick to say TV & Video hunters who use peeps with tubing lack the knowledge because some know their sport and equipment quite well. I don't buy into that theory, not totally at least. Sure there are some who are clueless but all??...Most??

I suspect that's (knowledge)why you DO see a lot of TV and Video hunters using them. When the camera is rolling a missed shot because of a peep you can't see through is a deal breaker in the entertainment industry.Production companieswant results not excuses.

Last question:

What happens toa "good quality" string when it starts to reach the end of it's service life?

Old 02-19-2008, 10:25 PM

Simply put, there is no need for it on my bow.

I have a quality string.

I have a properly tied d-loop.

I get perfect rotation every time.

Personally, I say screw what the celebrities on TV are doing. Honestly, who cares? I didn't buy my bow because its what they shoot. I didn't buy my arrows because its what they shoot. Why would I shoot with tubing because they do?
Old 02-19-2008, 10:34 PM
Site Bouncer

ORIGINAL: MeanV2

BigJ as far as my answer to your question. I think Greg and Rob have pretty much covered it.

If I said it I might not be so politically correct

Dan
What the hell is that supposed to mean? Do you always let others do your talking for you? Don't be afraid to step up and speak your mind Dan, that's what this forum is all about, freedom of speech and all that.......wonderfull country the USA is.

If you're worried aboutyour non "political correctness" hurting myfeelings, please don't. I'm a big boy, it takes more than cyber gibberish to rattle me. Just keep it within the site rules and regulations (we wouldn't want you to get into trouble now wouldwe)and you'll do just fine.

Like I said before, if you feel like providing some pertinent information regarding this thread please feel free to do so....otherwise you're just taking up band with.
Old 02-19-2008, 10:47 PM
Site Bouncer

ORIGINAL: Washington Hunter

I have a quality string.

Personally, I say screw what the celebrities on TV are doing. Honestly, who cares? I didn't buy my bow because its what they shoot. I didn't buy my arrows because its what they shoot. Why would I shoot with tubing because they do?
Dan,

Never said you, or anybody had to. I never asked if there was a need for it on your bow either. It's good to seefolks are reading today.

I was just wondering why most use a tube style peep.....there must be an answer. So far we've had some interesting theories, some I'm sure hold warrant but I don't think they explain it all. Nice of you to add to the discussion.

I'm glad your set up is working flawless for you.

What happens to your string when it starts to reach the end of it's service life? What happens when the day it decides to creep because it starting to wear out and you just happen to have a deer under your stand?

Perhaps the pressure of "getting the kill" on tape is so great that the TV & Video folks rely on the tube as a "back up" just in case that (or something else) happens to cause their peep NOT to align? Seems plausible to me, who wouldn't like some added security for when the shot is on the line?

Old 02-19-2008, 10:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

My last post on this thread

The question has been answered BigJ. You seem to want everyone to agree with your reason whythe biggest % ofTV hunters use tubed peeps. I think several have given their thoughts on that subject including me.

Bottom Line a poorly set up tubed peep will fail, and a poorly setup tubeless peep will also fail.
Both setup correctly will perform as intended. Use what you want or what gives you confidence.

I'm not sure how many years I've shot tubeless or how many animals I've killed with my setup, but I can tell you that not having a tube on my Peep has cost me Zero animals. Evidently you have the same success with your tubed peep as well. I am happy and you should be also instead of wondering why everyone else doesn't shoot a tubed peep like you and most of the TV hunters.

Dan
Old 02-19-2008, 10:58 PM

Well, BigJ...

My question to you would be, what happens when the day your tubing breaks on you you just happen to have a deer under your stand? So you replace it twice a year... Maybe you caught it on a thorn or clipped it with a broadhead. What happens then? Your insurance just went out the window. Suddenly your peep that rotated perfectly doesn't. Bummer, dude.

I honestly believe Rob hit the nail on the head with his post. I really doubt the majority of the TV hunters we see these days know more than most of us on these boards. They're made out to be knowledgable because they're marketed to be percieved that way. You could have a crap product but sell a ton of it, its all about the marketing.

Ever see the RealTree team shoot 3D? They don't have a camera man above them whispering the yardage to them. Its a wonder they can hit a live animal after watching them shoot 3D. A lot of them are marketed to be better at what they do than they really are.

I don't know. I honestly shouldn't have posted because I don't want to argue about it with you. You're dead set in believing the tubed peep is the end all solution to peep rotation problems and nothing anyone else says will convince you otherwise. Disregard my posts, I don't wish to continue the argument.

Old 02-19-2008, 11:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

Dan (WH)I hope you got your battery thing lined out

Dan
Old 02-19-2008, 11:04 PM

ORIGINAL: MeanV2

Dan (WH)I hope you got your battery thing lined out

Dan
I did, sort of.

Suffice it to say I'm sitting on my bedroom floor with the charger plugged in and a book propped against it with a dumbell behind that to keep constant pressure on it. [&:]

PITA, but it works for now.
Old 02-19-2008, 11:10 PM
Site Bouncer

ORIGINAL: Washington Hunter

Well, BigJ...

My question to you would be, what happens when the day your tubing breaks on you you just happen to have a deer under your stand? So you replace it twice a year... Maybe you caught it on a thorn or clipped it with a broadhead. What happens then? Your insurance just went out the window. Suddenly your peep that rotated perfectly doesn't. Bummer, dude.

I honestly believe Rob hit the nail on the head with his post. I really doubt the majority of the TV hunters we see these days know more than most of us on these boards. They're made out to be knowledgable because they're marketed to be percieved that way. You could have a crap product but sell a ton of it, its all about the marketing.

Ever see the RealTree team shoot 3D? They don't have a camera man above them whispering the yardage to them. Its a wonder they can hit a live animal after watching them shoot 3D. A lot of them are marketed to be better at what they do than they really are.

I don't know. I honestly shouldn't have posted because I don't want to argue about it with you. You're dead set in believing the tubed peep is the end all solution to peep rotation problems and nothing anyone else says will convince you otherwise. Disregard my posts, I don't wish to continue the argument.

Well Dan,

UNLIKE you I will answer your question.....If my tube were to break, it might spook the deer.... it might not (depending on how close he was) but I can assure you my peep would still be aligned. If you'd taken the time to read my post you would have known the I install my peeps so that they align WITHOUT the tubing attached, that's insurance! If that deer bolted, I would simply pull off the broken tube and CONTINUE the hunt.

And NO I don't think a tubed peep is the "end all solution" unlike your position on the subject:

I have a quality string.

Seems like I hit a nerve here............

Quick Reply: Peep Tubing........

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.