Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

This is for Washington Hunter

Old 02-18-2008, 09:09 PM

Default This is for Washington Hunter

Well i found out from you from a guy in the realtree forums and i was trying to look for people like myself who are also from washington and hunt deer on public lands and possibly even in the wilderness land. I have hunted deer with a rifle for the past 6 or 7 years and i really need to move on away from this farm i go to it is a real circus sometimes up there. But i have been lookin into bow hunting and or rifle hunting in the wilderness areas in the central and north central washington. Where do you hunt? How long have you hunted with a bow and do you prefer it over a rifle? I have lots more questions but i just wanted to put myself out there to meet you by the way my name is tom and i hunt the south east corner of washington by the tucannon area.
Old 02-18-2008, 09:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: This is for Washington Hunter

i think his computer is down for a few days.
Old 02-18-2008, 10:13 PM

Default RE: This is for Washington Hunter

Tom, welcome to HNI!

Currently I'm living in NE Washington, Spokane to be exact. I grew up in the Tri-Cities and spent a lot of time hunting/fishing in the Dayton/Tucannon area. Beautiful country before the fires, thoughI haven't been back down there since the school house fire but I hear the game population is on the rise again.

I mainly hunt close to home, though I do travel north to the Curlew area tohunt for Mulies. The Spokane area has quite a bit of public land within 20-30 minutes of town. Private land is also available if you're willing to put in your time knocking on doors and don't mind hearing "No" a lot.

I've hunted in Washington for the past ten years (this fall), but only converted to archery in 2003. Do I prefer it over rifle hunting? Absolutely, and especially in Washington. Though it'll seem laughable to some of you who's seasons last until February, we're allowed 54 days out of the year (just in the GMU I hunt) to hunt whitetail. Rifle hunters are allowed I believe a full week, maybe 10 days.

I honestly can't say much for the GMU's other than 127, as that is where I spend the majority of my time these days. I've got friends who travel to the coast for Elk and have a pretty decent success rate. Colville is another good area for whitetail; and turkey, but you're going to run into a lot of hunters coming to the side of the state from Olympia and Seattle.

Thats really all I can think of off of the top of my head, but I'm sure I'll add more. PM me if you have any more questions, or just post there here. I hope some of this is of use.

Again, welcome to HNI. It's good to see another WA hunter.