Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

10 reasons why I only use one stand all year

Old 02-19-2008, 09:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 10 reasons why I only use one stand all year

HArdcore, if your reasoning for no climber is it is too tree specific and you have to trim lower branches, etc, don't you have to do that anyway to clear some shooting lanes? I have never been to IA, but here in Ohio, most of the woods are thick enough that if you don't clear shooting lanes, you won't get too many shots. If I am going to clear shooting lanes anyway, I might as well trim a few branches off a tree to climb IMO. Plus, I weigh 150 pounds and that stand and climbing sticks would be a large % of my body weight to lug back and forth all the time
Old 02-19-2008, 09:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

I bought a climber after several years of carrying a stand and 15 ft. of sticks into the woods, but this year had to settle for climbing into the only tree available to use my climber. This put me in a less than ideal location. After the season ended I bought a set of rapid rails and now have a set-up that at 28 lbs I can take anywhere and climb anything.The other set of sticks will be set up with a hang-on as a permanent stand.

Just pays to cover all the options.
Old 02-19-2008, 09:36 AM
Banned

ORIGINAL: huntingson

HArdcore, if your reasoning for no climber is it is too tree specific and you have to trim lower branches, etc, don't you have to do that anyway to clear some shooting lanes? I have never been to IA, but here in Ohio, most of the woods are thick enough that if you don't clear shooting lanes, you won't get too many shots. If I am going to clear shooting lanes anyway, I might as well trim a few branches off a tree to climb IMO. Plus, I weigh 150 pounds and that stand and climbing sticks would be a large % of my body weight to lug back and forth all the time
My setup with 6 sticks and the stand weighs 27.5 lbs. Once the leaves are off the trees, I can usually place my stand in my tree so that I can have clear shots with no trimming. The trees inIA areare pretty well all of the same mix as OH. I trim where it is necessary for my bow to be drawn with no contact with branches once in my stand.
Old 02-19-2008, 10:17 AM
Banned

After 25 years of bowhunting,I have one season under my belt with this type of mobile hunting and these are my pics from this type of hunting. Here are the pics of my year as a mobile hunter.

Deer/Turkey double taken minutes apart from the same stand

My buck

My wife's buck same season.
Old 02-19-2008, 11:12 AM
Super Moderator

I still stand by my statement that a climber is too tree specific and will not work on the variety of trees that my setup will. They do have their place though.
Not being able to use a climber in certain "spots" on a trail, on a field edge, or in a couple of fencerows that I hunt made it mandatory for me to use the sticks and Assault most of the time. I will buy another climber this year, but it will not see the bulk of the work. I already have a few choice "spots" picked out that only my hangon setup will work. I feel it makes my chances of being successful within those areas and what I choose to hunt a lot better.

For example, there is a certain narrow fencerow that doesn't have any suitable trees for a climber and only about 2-3 for using a hangon. Because of the location and configuration of those usable trees I have to use my Assault and I don't want to leave a hangon up in this fencerow for anyone else to hunt or steal.
Old 02-19-2008, 11:30 AM
Dominant Buck

So you're actually setting up TWO same day sticks/stands and not getting sweaty?

Wow.
Old 02-19-2008, 01:56 PM
Super Moderator

So you're actually setting up TWO same day sticks/stands and not getting sweaty?

Wow.
Is this question for Hardcore or me? If I sit the same stand or spot twice on the same day I'll leave it up but I rarely sit in the same place twice in one day.
Old 02-19-2008, 07:09 PM
Banned

ORIGINAL: Cougar Mag

Wow.
Is this question for Hardcore or me? If I sit the same stand or spot twice on the same day I'll leave it up but I rarely sit in the same place twice in one day.
Yea