Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Probably not going to go the lease route....

Old 02-18-2008, 05:49 AM
Dominant Buck

Default Probably not going to go the lease route....

I didn't go look at the land (I posted about a lease opportunity about a week ago).....but I did one better. I picked up a little over 100acres new hunting land over the weekend. It's land my cousin owns and lets no one hunt, there.

Best part of this parcel is the price.....and it's closer than the lease was going to be to my home by a good 20 minutes.

I'm not sure what it holds, yet.....but the aerial looks pretty good. I may be able to plant here also. Part of it is pasture land and part is heavily wooded. It has cover and water.....and I can provide the food. It may take a while.....but I might have stumbled onto something good, here. Surrounding parcels are a ?, right now......but they're very rural. Beauty of this place is......I may be able to purchase this down the road.
Old 02-18-2008, 05:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Probably not going to do the lease route....

Good for you! Something only you have access to is always more enjoyable. Now you could take the $ you were going to spend on the lease and use it to start improving this ground. If you can purchase it down the road, than all of your planting/management efforts will really pay off. Congrats on the new hunting ground!
Old 02-18-2008, 05:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Probably not going to go the lease route....

Congrats! That sounds like it could have some great potential. Good luck with it and let us know what you find when you scout it!
Old 02-18-2008, 05:55 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Probably not going to do the lease route....

good for you GMMAT, Hope you get a Boomer your first time out. 7 Months to go!
Old 02-18-2008, 05:56 AM
Super Moderator

Sounds like you did better. I love hunting pasture land. In my area the bigger bucks love this sort of acreage better than big woods. Good hiding places while traveling and the bucks seem to feel more at ease. Does your cousin raise any cattle? If so maybe he plants some alfalpha.
Old 02-18-2008, 06:06 AM
Dominant Buck

Cougar this is land that I grew up on, sort of. My grandpa and uncle had...at any given time....500 head of cattle. This is where they keptsome of them....along with another 146 acre parcel that's more open terrain. My family cemetary is on this land. I don't know why I never thought of hunting it.

Yeah.....one cousin owns the land......another leases it for grazing rights. I just have to clear it with him.....and I'm "in". I don't foresee any issues, there. We've always been close.

About 50% is wooded inside the pasture land (fenced area). 80% outside the fence is wooded.....with a GREAT looking field that shows promise as a food plot area. I'm gonna shoot in a 3D up that way, Saturday.....and go walk around it after that.

I've already talked to my cousin about purchasing an 11 acre tract there to put a cabin on.

God's country I'll take some photos, next weekend.
Old 02-18-2008, 06:12 AM
Super Moderator

I say go for it Jeff. An opportunity like that doesn't come around often.
Old 02-18-2008, 06:22 AM
Typical Buck

Thats awesome. They're not making anymore land so anytime you have an oppotunity to grab some, do it.
Old 02-18-2008, 06:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

Jeff that sounds awesome! Congrats, Bro! I would love to get exclusive hunting rights to a chunk like that ........ very nice ...
Old 02-18-2008, 07:16 AM
Giant Nontypical

Jeff, that's awesome! Sounds like a great piece of land you got. Good luck on it.

I still wouldn't rule out the lease though. You can never have too many options.

Quick Reply: Probably not going to go the lease route....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.