Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

[Deleted]

Old 02-17-2008, 11:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Any CAMERMEN..Need advice...please.

Wow, i just typed out a long response and lost it...im kinda ticked! [:@]

Let me summarize and you can PM me if you have any questions...

Hopefuly you didnt spend all your money on the camera, cause the accessoriescan bealmost as expenisve!

Tree Arm
-HB Sniper Pro (top of the line arm, but not thecheapest)
-Hunter Cam Cradle (should be ok for your camera, but i have heard they can be a pain as well...)

Audio
- Boom mic: definately get a good set of mics for your camera. Sennheiser makes some awesome stuff. Definately check them out at B&H Photo & Video
- Wireless Mic: Samson Airline series - they are compact, great quality and run on a single AAA battery...
- Headphones: Get a nice set of on ear, or over the ear headphone for monitoring the audio while on stand.

Lighting
- Definately pic yourself up a nice camera light for shooting recoveries in the dark
Old 02-17-2008, 11:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

HB Sniper Pro ($775)

Samsun Airline (I think they run about $250)

Bescor KLX-624D ($94.95)

Old 02-18-2008, 04:45 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 02-18-2008, 09:23 AM
Typical Buck

If you want to shoot quality footage the best advice you can get is to learn to use all of the manual functions of your camera,you cannot rely on the cameras auto functions while shooting video in the outdoors,there are too many variables to contend with, and the best equipment in the world will not cover a camera operators inability to use his cameras setting correctly.

That being said always use some sort of stabilizer, whether it be a tree arm, or a tripod make sure to match the weight of the camera to the support device and always use a fluid head(also matched to the cameras weight). Audio is just as important as stated earlier, A quality shotgun mic. is a must pick one that uses a good suspension system and you won't have any motor noise or handling noise problems. Varizoom makes a quality rocker remote control that plugs into the LANC port and controls zoom and focus functions to keep handling of the camera to a minimum, but I would not say it is a must have.

Again the biggest thing is to intamately learn all your camera functions...........the XH A1 is not a beginners camera and will take some time to learn.

Good luck!
Old 02-18-2008, 10:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

That is gospel right there. Learn how to use your manual focus, iris, all that stuff. It will dramatically improve your quality. Practice extensively before hitting the woods because in the moment of truth, everyone gets rattled. I find myself almost more nervous behind the camera than behind the bow. Buttons are tough to find when you are really jacked up. Definitely practice, especially on moving targets to maintain crisp focus.

ORIGINAL: lungbuster12point06

If you want to shoot quality footage the best advice you can get is to learn to use all of the manual functions of your camera,you cannot rely on the cameras auto functions while shooting video in the outdoors,there are too many variables to contend with, and the best equipment in the world will not cover a camera operators inability to use his cameras setting correctly.

That being said always use some sort of stabilizer, whether it be a tree arm, or a tripod make sure to match the weight of the camera to the support device and always use a fluid head(also matched to the cameras weight). Audio is just as important as stated earlier, A quality shotgun mic. is a must pick one that uses a good suspension system and you won't have any motor noise or handling noise problems. Varizoom makes a quality rocker remote control that plugs into the LANC port and controls zoom and focus functions to keep handling of the camera to a minimum, but I would not say it is a must have.

Again the biggest thing is to intamately learn all your camera functions...........the XH A1 is not a beginners camera and will take some time to learn.

Good luck!
Old 02-18-2008, 11:35 AM
Nontypical Buck

Sorry, i am having problems with my internet connection at home and its makin me angry! haha

Studio 1 makes some good zoom controllers. You can check them out at http://www.studio1productions.com/zoom-controller-menu.htm

I use the ProZoom 2 ($199.95)

It allows you to zoom, focus, turn the camera on and off, start and stop recording, switch between auto and manual focus, as well as turn the screen display on and off.

They make one that is a little less expensive, but it has less features.

Also, check out the Manfroto 501 fluid head and legs...great set up, runs about $270

Old 02-18-2008, 12:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

One of the guys I film with has the Manfroto head and tripod and it is awesome. The bolts on the head are very responsive (if that makes sense) meaning that you can tweak the tightness and move your camera very smoothly and not just have it flop around or be super tight, with nothing in between.
Old 02-18-2008, 02:06 PM

So...am I reading right in that you have no experience videoing, but you have this new high end camera, and already have some company(s) that you are contracted with?

1. IMO, that camera is not one to be learning with. Unless your video is going to make it to a HD network, I would video in SD. I see a lot of guys picking up HD cams...but, again, IMO, HD is still a step into the future. Certainly, HD inserts a whole set of complications in editing. HD video does nothing if not broadcast in HD and viewed on an HD monitor.

2.Listen to the advice about the manual controls. There is no place in outdoors video for auto focus.

3. Even if you go with wireless mics, you are still going to want to use the onboard mic (or shotgun mic) for a separate audio channel. Wireless mics alone are not going to give you good ambient sounds.

4. Make sure you run a head cleaner often. Do not wait for the camera to give you the error message that says heads are dirty. Trust me on this...loose a whole day of great video and you learn your lesson.

Old 02-18-2008, 02:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

Robin and others who are experienced,

I am in a similar boat as DropTine, but haven't bought any gear yet. What do you recommend as a good camera and accessoriesto start out with that will provide production quality for a budget conscious person.

I know I will have to drop some dough, but don't want to sell the bakery if you know what I mean.
Old 02-18-2008, 03:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: RobinAim Low

3. Even if you go with wireless mics, you are still going to want to use the onboard mic (or shotgun mic) for a separate audio channel. Wireless mics alone are not going to give you good ambient sounds.
Definately run both mics. Youwont have a problem easily doing that with your camera.

Quick Reply: [Deleted]

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.