Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Late Season Scouting

Old 02-17-2008, 12:26 PM

Default Late Season Scouting

I have the day off tomorrow and plan on doing some late season scouting on my whitetail hunting spot. Hopefully I will be able to find some sheds, but my primary objective is to walk through the entire 630 acres so I can really learn about the entire property as a whole. This area is relatively new to me, so I have a lot to learn. I was just wondering how many of you guys get out and scout your hunting areas and if any of the new spots that you find dictate where you put your stands the next fall.
We have just a light layer of snow on the ground, so deer trails and bedding areas should really stick out. Is there a way of telling ifthese trails and bedding areas are the same ones used during the fall?
Old 02-17-2008, 06:10 PM

Default RE: Late Season Scouting

Anybody?
Old 02-17-2008, 06:49 PM
Typical Buck

is this a rhetorical post? It depends on whether the trails are really heavily used or if a few tracks randomly. So its hard to tell. Im not much help, i know, but no one else is helping haha
Old 02-17-2008, 06:56 PM
Fork Horn

I scout quite a bit this time of year. Usually new areas on public land that I want to try out next year. I'm looking for old rub lines, a patch of good oak trees, thickets, etc. and just getting a good feel for the lay of the land. And yes, if I find a spot I feel will be good next year, I will mark it, write it down in my journal and what wind to hunt,and even trim a few limbs and set up a tree to hang a stand in if need be.
Old 02-17-2008, 07:13 PM

Thanks guys, I guess I will just have to get out there and see what I can find.
Old 02-17-2008, 07:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Get in there and walk. Then walk some more. 630 acres is ALOT of land. You will not learn it in one walk.. walk it again and again over the next 6-10 weeks.

As far as beds and trails.. you can pick out some to begin to hunt by this next fall. Look for trails in funnels and travel corridors that have last fall's deer sign present. Wooded edges are easy to locate in winter months. That is wooded edges within the interior of the woods where 2 distinct types of vegetation meet.. i.e. cedar and Oak trees.. thick under brush and more open deciduous.. things of this nature. And again look for this past year's sign.

The problem with some bedding areas is this.. alot of times whitetail will bed in other areas in winter as opposed to fall due to diet. It doesn't always hold true.. it depends on the harshness of winter and of course your local food sources. This is where you'll have to use your own common sense. But distinguishing between doe and buck beds is real easy in the snow.. which makes for alot of gained knowledge if you read it right.

Winter scouting is a great tool to start the year on. Go out there and walk.. and of course keep your eyes open for sheds.