Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Back Tension Releases

Old 02-09-2003, 06:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Back Tension Releases

Anyone in here use a back tension release?

"Pain is weakness leaving the body"
Old 02-09-2003, 06:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Back Tension Releases

I do use them occasionally.
I have several stanislawskis, and a truball.

For me, they are a great tool for avoiding target panic. If I start making sloppy releases with my trigger releases, I just shoot a dozen or so arrows with a BT and remember how to use backtension with my trigger release.

NRA,UBP,BASS Member
New Stanton,PA
Old 02-09-2003, 07:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have 2 tue ball extreme's.

After using them I find it hard to go back to a wrist release.
I will also be using them for hunting.

Aussie by birth Texan by choice
Old 02-10-2003, 12:02 AM

While there obviously is such an animal as a backtension release, it is really more a method of triggering a release than a type of release. I only use wrist releases for hunting, while I use everything from Stan CNC "real" backtension releases to wrist releases for 3D. I would always want to use BT to trigger these releases, though occasionaly it isn't possible.

About the only thing that I wouldn't call a BT release, at least pottentialy, is something like the GK Answer, or a release with a chunky trigger, etc...

Old 02-10-2003, 12:02 PM

If you are looking for a top notch Back Tension release, try a Carter. Either the Target 4 or the Insatiable. They are well made, easy to adjust and last forever. The only drawback is the price.
Bryan
Old 02-10-2003, 12:06 PM

What exactly is a back tension release?

Ausie,
I saw that you are from Burleson. I just left Burleson. I coached there for two years. Do you have any kids in school/athletics? I coached football and baseball.
Old 02-20-2003, 09:03 AM

Was also interested in BT releases because its supposed to help with trigger punching,but on the same train of thought,has anybody seen the new magazine being supplied to proshops now(got one yesterday there) called Bowhunt America.It has an article in it called " 15 secrets for shooting better with an index-finger release" .If anybody has seen this mag and read this article,is this basically the same way BTs work?It will save me from buying a BT.I use back tension in my form to hold steady better,but hadnt considered using it to trigger my release with.Any input appreciated.I plan on trying it this afternoon but from reading it only,seems odd how it could work.
Old 02-20-2003, 09:47 AM

I started using a triggerless BT release, a Stans 4 finger with the origional head just recently. I have been training with it for a week or so and I really like it. I' m not even putting the sight on my bow for now, I' m just getting used to using the release on a blank target at really close range. I' ve also made a handle with an old string that' s tied to my draw length to practice with and it' s real handy too.

I origionally had it adjusted where my shots were taking 10 to 14 seconds to go off but adjusted it to where it takes about 8 seconds to fire. I think I like it even better now.

I was afraid of trying one out but haven' t had a missfire or bloody nose yet. I really don' t know what I was so afraid of. But no one else I know uses one and very few have tried one and acted like I should stay away from them. I' m really glad I tried it and other than hunting, it is all I' ll probably use.

Don' t be afraid to try one! You WILL NOT anticipate the shot anymore. I' m anxious to see how my scores look after I start using the sight again but I' m in no hurry. I want to do this right because I' m convinced that it will be a major improvement.

I think I' m in love guys.

-Chief

Old 02-20-2003, 09:51 AM

My posts aren' t going through for some reason. I save it this time though so here it is; I think!

I started using a triggerless BT release, a Stans 4 finger with the original head just recently. I have been training with it for a week or so and I really like it. I' m not even putting the sight on my bow for now, I' m just getting used to using the release on a blank target at really close range. I' ve also made a handle with an old string that' s tied to my draw length to practice with and it' s real handy too.

I originally had it adjusted where my shots were taking 10 to 14 seconds to go off but adjusted it to where it takes about 8 seconds to fire. I think I like it even better now.

I was afraid of trying one out but haven' t had a misfire or bloody nose yet. I really don' t know what I was so afraid of. But no one else I know uses one and very few have tried one and acted like I should stay away from them. I' m really glad I tried it and other than hunting, it is all I' ll probably use.

Don' t be afraid to try one! You WILL NOT anticipate the shot anymore. I' m anxious to see how my scores look after I start using the sight again but I' m in no hurry. I want to do this right because I' m convinced that it will be a major improvement.

I think I' m in love guys.

-Chief