Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

A ? for those using mechanical heads.

Old 02-16-2008, 10:34 AM
Super Moderator

Default A ? for those using mechanical heads.

I am not putting them down, but want to ask a question for those who use them. My motive for asking this is a good friend of my son who has been very successful bowhunting since he was young made a comment to me during a 3D shoot last year that bothered the hell out of me and I did the best I could at the time keep from tearing histoungue out. The guy uses Grim Reaper broadheads and while extolling the virtues of using them said he aims for the middle of ther body or guts on a deer if need be on a deer he wants to shootbecause of the way the head cuts.

Anyway for the question, anybody been tempted to takesuch shots on a deer simplybecause of the larger cutting diameter that some mech heads possess or advertise? I won't demonize anybody who says they do, I am just curious.
Old 02-16-2008, 10:38 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: A ? for those using mechanical heads.

No way!!! I try to bury my pin so that arrow is going through the boiler room just as I would using any broadhead. The fact that I have a head that has a 2" cut does not change my shot selection AT ALL. It's nice to know that if I mess up that broadhead my save my butt and make up for my error, but I certainly do not count on that happening.

Your buddy needs a serious talking too. That is not the intent of those or any broadheads and he is going to wound a lot of deer with that thinking.
Old 02-16-2008, 10:39 AM
Dominant Buck

Coug.....Please don't lump me in with this guy (and I know you didn't) because we both shoot mechanical heads. His approach doesn't border on ridiculous......it's full bore.
Old 02-16-2008, 10:50 AM
Giant Nontypical

No but it is nice to know that the extra cut is there if things DO go wrong......you are more likely to make a marginal hit BACK than you are in the large bone of the shoulder.

That is precisely why I use them. They are devastating when put where they belong and could mean the difference bewteen a long track and a short one, or a found or not found animal when they aren't exactly on the mark.

Damage as much tissue as you can. It's a moot point when they are in the lungs but a very real consideration and IMO advantage if they are in a liver, or guts or both. I don't think anyone in their right mind wold condone AIMING there but the fact remains that they are better suited than a smaller head if they wind up there.

I couldn't care less about shoulder penetration , I really couldn't...........I want the head that damages the most of everything else while still giving me adequate and reliable penetration to all practical hunting distances.
I don't know why that isn't everyone's goal?

Old 02-16-2008, 10:51 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Coug.....Please don't lump me in with this guy (and I know you didn't) because we both shoot mechanical heads. His approach doesn't border on ridiculous......it's full bore.
I certainly didn't or don't.I gave the 26 yr.old guy a tongue lashing. I probably shouldn't have posted this question. Its just the young man bothered me when he told us that, and its not like he isinexperienced. He has hunted with his dad since he was very young and has taken many deer with a bow,a fewnice bucks included.
Old 02-16-2008, 10:55 AM
Super Moderator

ORIGINAL: Matt / PA

No but it is nice to know that the extra cut is there if things DO go wrong......you are more likely to make a marginal hit BACK than you are in the large bone of the shoulder.

That is precisely why I use them. They are devastating when put where they belong and could mean the difference bewteen a long track and a short one, or a found or not found animal when they aren't exactly on the mark.

Damage as much tissue as you can. It's a moot point when they are in the lungs but a very real consideration and IMO advantage if they are in a liver, or guts or both. I don't think anyone in their right mind wold condone AIMING there but the fact remains that they are better suited than a smaller head if they wind up there.

I couldn't care less about shoulder penetration , I really couldn't...........I want the head that damages the most of everything else while still giving me adequate and reliable penetration to all practical hunting distances.
I don't know why that isn't everyone's goal?
Good post Matt. The comment about a shoulder hit rings true. I don't want to hit a shoulder with any head, fixed blade or mechanical.
Old 02-16-2008, 11:23 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'd think most on this board are knowledgeable enough to know better than this, but I would say there are primarily 2 reasons the AVERAGE (not guys that are serious) bowhunter leans to mechanicals.
1. They fly like a field point and most guys can't get that from their fixed blades.
2. They like the security feelingthat some super cut expandable broadhead gives them on a Bad shot. Because they don't have the confidence to put it where it should go.
I'll be the first to say I have made a few bad shots. Crapola happens, and if you've killed *** animals with a bow and have not made a Bad shot I wanna shake your hand. I've been at this40 years and I still learn something every year. I never expect to quit learning.

Dan
Old 02-16-2008, 11:37 AM
Dominant Buck

I'd think most on this board are knowledgeable enough to know better than this, but I would say there are primarily 2 reasons the AVERAGE (not guys that are serious) bowhunter leans to mechanicals.
1. They fly like a field point and most guys can't get that from their fixed blades.
I buy that 100%

The second comment.......I disagree. I don't know anyone with that mindset. I may be wrong. I know I saw a TV show where a hunter touted the Rage as a great "bad shot BH". I think he did the Rage company and bowhunting, in general, a HUGE disservice with that irresponsible comment.
Old 02-16-2008, 11:41 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

I buy that 100%

The second comment.......I disagree. I don't know anyone with that mindset. I may be wrong. I know I saw a TV show where a hunter touted the Rage as a great "bad shot BH". I think he did the Rage company and bowhunting, in general, a HUGE disservice with that irresponsible comment.
Run a shop for about 20 years and listen to Joe Bowhunters talk and then tell me that

Dan
Old 02-16-2008, 11:57 AM
Nontypical Buck

Im getting me some Rambo points this year, and am literally going to blow the fescue out of them!

Quick Reply: A ? for those using mechanical heads.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.