Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Whitetail's ribs.....Obstacle?

Old 02-16-2008, 12:00 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Whitetail's ribs.....Obstacle?

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

And....if it's THE shoulder bone or the spine.....there's not a BH out there that going to go through there.
Not so! I also shoot Thunderhead 125's and they will definately penetrate through a whitetail shoulder bone on a fully broadside shot! Whitetail shoulder bones are fairly thin compared to other big game. The ribs are not a problem either. IMO, with the right poundage and arrow, the bones of a whitetail will not stop an arrow if hit directly and not a glancing blow.
Old 02-16-2008, 12:02 PM
Giant Nontypical

so far i have only had one problem with rib deflection, back in the late 80's i shot a Dink 8 point quartering away at 18 yards, point of impact was well behind the shoulder in the ribs, arrow only traveled half way in and ended up actually sticking in him like i shot him quartering to. I never found that deer. 70 #'s aluminum XX 2117 and a wasp or satellite head if i remember right. no problems since other than my mistakes.
Old 02-16-2008, 12:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: bawanajim

As for shoulder bones I have shot through them several times.

I shoot 125 GR Thunderheads and I shoot a one pin sight with most shots being between 10-20 yards.These heads are indestructible & very deadly.

When a buck is this close I will not try to stop them,and I feel shooting forward is always better than shooting aft.

If you are looking for a way to solve 80% -90% of bow hunting problems leading to the failure to recover hit deer. then Make 25 yards the maximum you will shoot at a deer and strive for under twenty ,and your recovery record will be very close to 100%.
Very well said Jim!! I've been saying that for a long time!!!
Old 02-16-2008, 12:19 PM
Giant Nontypical

If you are looking for a way to solve 80% -90% of bow hunting problems leading to the failure to recover hit deer. then Make 25 yards the maximum you will shoot at a deer and strive for under twenty ,and your recovery record will be very close to 100%.
Jim....I'm learning
You know Jeff , I believe you do try to learn from every experience you have. You've sure got ripped for a few of them.
But you havelearned and will continue to learn.
While So many here will continue to make the the same elementary mistakes and figure sooner or later they will get it right.The blind squirrel method of deer hunting.

How many times would "Robs" recovery post have saved the day for those who only chose to read it after they did every thing imaginable to alleviate any chance of finding their deer.
Old 02-16-2008, 12:26 PM
Giant Nontypical

I have the spinal column with ribs intact (long story) from the buck I shot this past fall. I just see the ribs (and this was a 200# deer on the hoof) as being NO OBSTACLE to today's equipment.....(if properly tuned).

All this talk about bone contact and Mechnicals, etc... ......I just don't know what to make of it. Why do we seem to discuss this so much? What bone are we talking about? And....if it's THE shoulder bone or the spine.....there's not a BH out there that going to go through there.

So...I'll ask one of my favorite questions.....What have we learned?
Actually Jeff what people are saying is that there going through the shoulder blade, not the shoulder knuckle. There isn't a BH that can penetrate that, heck I've seen slugs mush up when they've hit the knuckle. As for the ribs 95% of the time my 3 blade snuffers blow through them on both sides and into the dirt with shooting my recurve. I'm shooting in that 210 fps range, that tells you allot about the head I shoot, plus I keep my heads extremely sharp!
Old 02-16-2008, 12:27 PM
Dominant Buck

Jim...thanks

And to your last comment.....I will NEVER, EVER understand why bowhunters are so absolutely freakin IMPATIENT![:@]
Old 02-16-2008, 12:29 PM
Dominant Buck

Actually Jeff what people are saying is that there going through the shoulder blade, not the shoulder knuckle.
I know, schultzy.....but I just didn't wanna fight it.....

Old 02-16-2008, 01:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: bawanajim

The only time ribs present any problem is on a sharp quartering away shot.
If the angle is to great and the shot is forward on the ribs instead of behind them the arrow will travel along the ribs without entering the chest cavity and exit out the front of the neck after traveling under the front shoulder blade.
I think this happens more than people realize, they think they made a great shot as the arrow will be covered in dark red blood and the deer will produce a decant blood trail for several hundred yards but no real harm has been inflicted. These deer do not bed down.And are never found.[:-]
Good post Jim!
Old 02-16-2008, 01:28 PM

I do not think the ribs present any challenge to todays broadheads (speaking for fixed blades, no experience with mechanicals). I have broken ribs on both sides of the cage on numerous broadside deer. You sure know when you hit one dead on, becausethey really crack!

I did see one occasion where the ribs presented a challenge. A firend of mine took a straight down shot on a doe (which I would never advise because you can at best get one lung and probably cant reach the heart if you go through the spine). Anyway, he took this shot the deer jumped and ran a little ways and stood there, he got another arrow knocked and shot her again right through the chest. After recovery, it was obvious his first shot went in about 2-2.5 inches left of the top of the deers back, that arrow grabbed a rib and road it down the cage and came out the bottom. Craziest thing I ever saw, wound channel right under the hide. I'm guessing this was maybe a freak thing and the head hit the rib PERECT, but was interesting none the less.
Old 02-16-2008, 02:03 PM

It ain't for a Muzzy!!!

Quick Reply: Whitetail's ribs.....Obstacle?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.