Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Been trying to work on my form...(more pg2)

Old 02-15-2008, 09:48 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Been trying to work on my form...

ORIGINAL: buckmaster

How do you get your shoulder that low? mine dont do that[&:]
Does it do it when you are relaxed?

If so,it can be done when drawing the bow.

Practice without the bow getting the shoulder BACK into the bone to bone contact.I referr to it as shoulder load or into the socket.

You can practice it by standing facing a wall about arms length away,then lean forward into the wall and pushing the shoulder back into position.I believe it was lady forge that suggested that some time ago and it works but she explains it better.
Old 02-16-2008, 04:00 AM
Dominant Buck

Aaron....

I haven't read through all of these yet.....but before doing so....I want to tell you how much BETTER that looks than what I've been seeing in your shooting.

You've come a LONG ways!

Oh....and nice bow.

(OK....now I'll read the coach's corner)
Old 02-16-2008, 10:16 AM

Comparing your form to Rick/Matts, you can see when you push your shoulder down your front arm is bent much more than his and when you straighten your arm so you have good arm form it pushes your front shoulder up and out of socket.

Looks like you might need to adjust your release to get more DL or just get more DL in your bow to fit you.

To me the important part of draw length is from thegrip of your hand to your nose. If you arm is properly extended and your shoulder down in its socket and the string lightly touches your nose with your head level and not leaning then your draw length is correct.

This thread inspired me to take pics of my form and take a look. Shoulders level down in socket but I can't get my arm as straight as Matt's (or others that I try to copy) and keep the string on my nose [:@] Which means my DL is a tad too short.[:@] I could probably use another 1/2 inchbutI am at 32" now with a loop and bows don't go to 32.5. Not any bow I want to shoot anyway.
Old 02-16-2008, 12:12 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rick James

I don't think your longto be honest, but a few other things have to change before I can really say. That front shoulder is VERY high and collapsed, and it's going to be difficult to have a consistent shoulder position with it there. It is not bone on bone there, and a lot of muscle is likely being used to stabilize the shot. Bottom that shoulder out, and I'm guessing the DL will be pretty darn close.
x2 that front shoulder does look collapsed plus you might want to put a little bend in your elbow but whatever makes you comfortable
Old 02-16-2008, 01:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

Shoulders level down in socket but I can't get my arm as straight as Matt's (or others that I try to copy) and keep the string on my nose [:@] Which means my DL is a tad too short.[:@]
This will have more to do with a longer axle-to-axle length and the corresponding string angle it affords the shooter than actual draw length.

It's one reason I'm not comortable shooting The General, while the Guardian is a much nicer fit to me. To have the angle necessary to get the string to touch my nose with The General, I'd have to probably be overdrawn by a couple inches. Shorter a-to-a bows just don't lend themselves well tousing the string-touching-your-nose as areference point.
Old 02-16-2008, 01:29 PM
Typical Buck

After all these adjustments have you tried shooting yet??.How were your groups before adjustments??.
Old 02-16-2008, 03:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

No, mechdoc, still waiting on all my stuff, if youll notice that bow has nothing on it but a sight, i did grab a prong rest and slung about 4-5 just a few minutes ago... i didnt help, it just made me wanna get it set up even more!
Old 02-16-2008, 03:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

Oh and guys, i just want to say thank you for all the time and effort your putting into this, ill get it one day...
Old 02-16-2008, 05:36 PM

This will have more to do with a longer axle-to-axle length and the corresponding string angle it affords the shooter than actual draw length.
Ya I shoot a Matthews Switchback LD @ 32" so its a bit short ATA. I have some 36" and 38" ATA bows and they do tend to have a better string angle but I shoot the Matthews better for some reason