Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

If You Thought They Might Make It...

Old 02-15-2008, 03:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default If You Thought They Might Make It...

till next season, and you really don't have that many 3 to 3 1/2 year olds in your area, would you just totally pass them until next season? Or would you only consider taking one in late season to keep from eating a tag? Just curious. Myself, I have not even killed an archery buck yet, but I know this scenario is pretty close to what I have in my hunting area.

Thanks, LT
Old 02-15-2008, 04:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: If You Thought They Might Make It...

I let em go, the more you let go the more will make it, even if your neighbor is goign to shoot that buck, he can't shoot em all, that's my philosophy, and I'd take a doe before an immature buck, wish others would too. To me I'm only shooting a buck to mount or as a management buck. So shooting a 2.5yo to me is not worth it, rather harvest a doe. I think i want to hunt elsewhere though, seems no one is willing to pass up a 2.5yo in my area. Even my cousin, who talks a big game on management etc......and shoots 3-2.5yo's a season! Also how many 130-140 class deer do you need on your wall? I can understand taking a immature buck as your first buck, or something decent to mount, after that, I want bigger, and he'll only get bigger if you pass on him. I could have shot a 135" just about every year I've ever hunted, so that means I could have had now maybe 15- 135" bucks on my wall? for what? no thanks. My dad however, with the same philosophy and same years hunting has been luckier, 1st bow buck, 151", 2nd buck that same season, gun 184", first gun buck years earlier, 155" and he has seen other big boys, hopefully this trend/luck will change/pass on a generation....
Old 02-15-2008, 05:00 PM
Dominant Buck

I'm gonna be honest.

I've been bowhunting for 2+ seasons.

ANY 3.5yr old will get my arrow.
Old 02-15-2008, 05:05 PM

I would try to let em go but it probably wouldent happen
Old 02-15-2008, 05:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

I'm gonna be honest.

I've been bowhunting for 2+ seasons.

ANY 3.5yr old will get my arrow.
i agree
Old 02-15-2008, 05:53 PM
Boone & Crockett

I agree too, I target 3.5 year olds and up but towards the end of my season I'll take a 2.5 year old depending on what he looks like and how the hunt goes. Me passing any buck, especially 2.5 year old and up is a death wish for them come rifle season more times than not. I've been passing bucks for 10 plus years and I cannot say for certain that I've taken any of them older after that. I'm passing them in hopes but I believe it's futile. The only thing for certain is that if I don't pass them, I'm tagged out in my single tag state!
Old 02-15-2008, 06:04 PM

3 1/2might be hard to pass on
Old 02-15-2008, 06:05 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 02-15-2008, 06:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'd take him in a heartbeat--probably take his younger brother too
Old 02-16-2008, 07:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

I say no to my self now, but when it is the last day and a buck like that comes in I make up my mind at the moment, and I have regreted it after, and I have been happy also. That is hunting and ground shrinkage sucks.

Quick Reply: If You Thought They Might Make It...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.