Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Why the "Rage" doesn't penetrate well -UPDATE page 1 and 5

Old 02-16-2008, 10:46 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Why the "Rage" doesn't penetrate well -UPDATE page 1 and 5

ORIGINAL: centurion

Its as difficult as YOU want to make it, this stuff is not rocket science unless you want it to be.
It's not "rocket" science but it is a science nonetheless. And if you look at my original post I was indeed justreally talking about the science behind the designs of the two broadheads mentioned. If you didn't want to talk about that specifically then you entered into a discussion you had no interest in. Do you see that that's what happened?

I'm not talking about shot angles, ribs, bone, or bow tune. I was hoping to get some input on design observations that anyone might have had which yes ultimately affects penetration. If you don't think you know why one has a better design or not then this discussion isn't for you.
Old 02-16-2008, 11:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think this was mentioned in a recent thread about KE and Matt/PA touched on it here. With most setups(other than womens or youth or traditionals)the KE produced is more than enough to fully penetrate and pass thru whitetails and then some, regaredless of the broadhead you choose. So when talking about broadhead penetrationwe are talking about how far they penetrate into the ground after blowing through a deer (on a well placed shot off a tuned bow)and realistically at that point, who cares?

Now if we are talking about marginal hits, bone hits, questionable angles then of coursedifferent broadheadswill havedifferent advantages or disadvantages but because of the amount of variables involved with the above mentioned shots there is no clear cut "winner" or best broadhead, one may outperform on a miss towards the stomach and another may outperform on a bone hit. None of us set out to make/take bad shots(I hope) but we probably know whatwe want to have in our corner if one happens, againmostly based on personal experiences/opinion/preference.

Know/tune your equipment thoroughly, have confidence in it, select good shots, and use sharp broadheads. It's as easy or as hard as we make it. imho
Old 02-16-2008, 11:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

I have seen just about all the major brands of broadheads bent or twisted up over the years from hard bone. Just last season my daughter in law shot a beast in the shoulder bone and bent the tip over on a muzzy, and they are what do they say, Bad to the Bone! Seen a Rage that caught a doe in the shoulder last year and there was nothing salvageable on that broadhead!Stay away from the big bones!

Where I live now I get a shot at whatI call a shooter buck about every 3 years. There is no way that Im spending all that time sitting in a stand, till the local squirrel population thinks I am part of their clan, and relying ona broadheadthat may open in flight, not open on contact, or a blade catch on a 1/4 away shot and throw my KE off. I will stick with a cut on contact, But thats just me!
Old 02-16-2008, 11:50 AM
Dominant Buck

I don;t know if this will be visible or not.....but this is a rage 2 blade head that is embedded in a spinal column of the buck I shot last year.

The reason for posting this is.....the head is undamaged (far as I can tell ......a lot of is embedded). One blade is embedded in the bone.

And there isn't a head manufactured that would have gone through that.
Old 02-16-2008, 12:07 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Why the "Rage" doesn't penetrate well

ORIGINAL: Hoytail Hunter

If you'll notice in the vid above, when the Rage was tested against the Grim Reaper on gelatin alone, it only lost by a 2 1/2" penetration margin. As soon as they added deer hide to the gelating, the Rage then lost by 5 inches.A 5 inch loss in a 20 inch race is a miserable failure!

So in response to what Matt/PA said earlier about shooting gelatin meaning crapola, yes it does mean crapola, until you add hide to the equation therefore making the gelatin similar to a deer... and then it means something else.
Who did the test? O yeah, Grim Reaper. Hummmmmmmmmmmm! I guess I wouldn't have expected to see anything different in their results.

That is all I know is I have shot 2 big Kansas bucks and 2 does. All passthroughs with the Rage 2-blade.
Old 02-16-2008, 12:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

I don;t know if this will be visible or not.....but this is a rage 2 blade head that is embedded in a spinal column of the buck I shot last year.

The reason for posting this is.....the head is undamaged (far as I can tell ......a lot of is embedded). One blade is embedded in the bone.

And there isn't a head manufactured that would have gone through that.
I have a bears spine with a complete v cut out of it only held together with 1/8th inch of bone from a thunderhead that was still good, have 2 deer spines of my wifes (whos nick name used to be one shot, but we have changed it to spine shooter) that have Thunderheads completely imbedded in them (all 3 blades) that still look good, but she wont let me take them out to be for sure!
Old 02-16-2008, 12:57 PM
Giant Nontypical

theyll still put a big buck down quick
ill stick with mine
good post though
Old 02-16-2008, 01:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Oh, forgot to add I also have a few Thunderheads with bent shafts and broke blades!
Old 02-16-2008, 01:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: annika3

Who did the test? O yeah, Grim Reaper. Hummmmmmmmmmmm! I guess I wouldn't have expected to see anything different in their results.

That is all I know is I have shot 2 big Kansas bucks and 2 does. All passthroughs with the Rage 2-blade.
Hey, you're not a Rage representative in disguise are you?

Well... I guess if you want a drag coefficiency discussion you gotta go talk tothe designers and not expect hunters to indulge with you. Nothing against any of us hunters as I'm one myself. -Just an observation that we're not truly qualified to give educated and I do mean "educated" views. Some of you did try and I'm sure much of what you say is true, and I thank you.

With others, I realize (and it's undeniable) that we just naturally defend products we've been conditioned to accept or have spent our money on as I think someone already put it.

For the record, since it seems to have been misconstrued, I simply think the Grim Reaper has overall less drag due to the design therefore would theoretically penetrate further than the Rage. But hey, opinions are a dime a dozen so it's ok ifmine doesn't make sense.
Old 02-16-2008, 03:25 PM
Dominant Buck

With others, I realize (and it's undeniable) that we just naturally defend products we've been conditioned to accept or have spent our money on as I think someone already put it.
"Undeniable"? You're saying I'm defending my choice in BH because I spent $6 more per pkg?......or NO MORE in some instances?

I've been "Conditioned to accept" that they work.....because I've used them. I was "conditioned to accept" that I needed to try something else after using something else and losing faith in it. I took no one's word as "gospel", though. I went out and used the products and made a decision.

When you walk up on an animal and the first words out of your mouth are OH MY GOD when you see the wound inflicted.......that's a pretty good indication that you've chosen the right BH for YOU. What Jerry or Billy said about it when they tested it at their shop means very little to me. I don't hunt ballistic gel, barrels or plywood. I only hunt whtetail deer.

Again....Matt used th eword "overkill". That was PERFECT.

Quick Reply: Why the "Rage" doesn't penetrate well -UPDATE page 1 and 5

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.