Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Why the "Rage" doesn't penetrate well -UPDATE page 1 and 5

Old 02-15-2008, 08:45 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Why the "Rage" doesn't penetrate well

IMO one needs to be shooting over 60 Ft.lb with the Rage. I help a guy who was shooting 48 ft.lbs with a rage. There was not a pentration issue IMO, there was a setup issue.

99% of lost deer have to do with two things Poorly setup bows and tracking

99% of the blame is always the BH, IMO
Old 02-15-2008, 08:54 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Germ

IMO one needs to be shooting over 60 Ft.lb with the Rage. I help a guy who was shooting 48 ft.lbs with a rage. There was not a pentration issue IMO, there was a setup issue.

I would add to that. In my moderate experiance, BHs penitrate poorly more often because of inadequite tuning than because of an inadequite BH. Hence the mixed results some see....Arrows, no matter the kind, dont penitrate as well when they are not coming out strait. And thats coming from someone who likely will never shoot a mech BH at big game, however there are plenty that can be effective I am sure.
Old 02-15-2008, 08:56 AM

Grem I agree with you 99% man. Set up proper spine and the bow shooting a arrow straight out of the bow not side ways. I dont completely understand what you are trying to say butthere should be a minumum poundage required to hunt. And by the way all these depates about the rage THEY MAKE a 3 blade model as well as anyone other than myself used the 3 blade here
Old 02-15-2008, 09:09 AM
Boone & Crockett

What I am saying one must understand equipment they are shooting. I truly believe most who bowhunt do not, and a lot of guys who setup bows do not. Gentleman the people in HNI are in the minorty of BH, it's sad but true.
I work the BH section at Cabelas a few times in Sept when they were busy. I heard stories about every head we sold. They all failed on perfect shots

Hell last year I was picking up some more Montecs, and a guy told me they were Junk[8D] When I informed him I am 16 for 16 with this head.
I got a blank stare
This year for Turkeys I will have the rage, for deer Montecs again, but I am also trying for a 600+ Grain arrow[8D]
Old 02-15-2008, 09:42 AM

Germ, you are 100% right, no matter how much it hurts to say it....

Working in the pro shop the last couple years has really taught me how........silly.....most people are. I can't tell you how many bows were brought in 1 WEEK before season w/ a busted string.....Story is the same....I put the bow away after last season, opened up the case yesterday, this is what I found. Oh yeah, the broadhead is the reason you wounded and lost that deer, no question.....
Old 02-15-2008, 10:32 AM
Super Moderator

I don't use mechanicals so no matter to me. Yet its strange but true how marketing can get a product up and running strong. I am betting strongly if the Rage heads were marketed under Rocky Mtn. they would not be used nearly as much.
Old 02-15-2008, 10:38 AM
Fork Horn

I took to deer this year w/ the 2 blade. Both pass-thru shots. I like them.
Old 02-15-2008, 11:25 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: DeerStalker80

You have to wacth what site is testing the head mine are completely unbiased and I dont get paid by anyone I spend the money on the heads and I tested them. Those site could be getting paid to report these findings..........
Not this guy and he even was a little short with people who wanted a retry because of their own personal field results. He puts heads through some wicked tests.

PersonallyI don't care. I just commented on the heads design based on what the criteria I believe is and is not good. The head reasembles a nail. A nail is made to grip when it enters, not pass through.

I like heads that start cutting as soon as the tip enters an with a cutting edge of around 20 degrees.
Old 02-15-2008, 11:44 AM
Giant Nontypical

What I am saying one must understand equipment they are shooting. I truly believe most who bowhunt do not, and a lot of guys who setup bows do not. Gentleman the people in HNI are in the minorty of BH, it's sad but true.
I work the BH section at Cabelas a few times in Sept when they were busy. I heard stories about every head we sold. They all failed on perfect shots

Hell last year I was picking up some more Montecs, and a guy told me they were Junk[8D] When I informed him I am 16 for 16 with this head.
I got a blank stare
This year for Turkeys I will have the rage, for deer Montecs again, but I am also trying for a 600+ Grain arrow[8D]
That's the point, a good head will perform with a bad setup. If the majority don't understand then the answer is a head that will compensate for any short comings. That's the one that will be standing at the end of the day.

There is nothing sharper, nothing that can cause more blood lose more rapidly than a broke toilet, bare none. You'll leave a blood trail and drop over dead before you realize you've been cut, but ya can't hunt with it unless the setup is perfect. Some heads are like that. Not much good to the majority.

I like the thunderhead, nothing but blades slicing and dicing and at a scalp bevel.
Old 02-15-2008, 11:48 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Cougar Mag

I don't use mechanicals so no matter to me. Yet its strange but true how marketing can get a product up and running strong. I am betting strongly if the Rage heads were marketed under Rocky Mtn. they would not be used nearly as much.
Cougar, Believe me I have enjoyed the sales this year but you are 100% correct

Dan

Quick Reply: Why the "Rage" doesn't penetrate well -UPDATE page 1 and 5

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.