Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Why the "Rage" doesn't penetrate well -UPDATE page 1 and 5

Old 02-15-2008, 06:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Why the "Rage" doesn't penetrate well

It's funny, because I have heard no one that I can remember that was seeing penetration issues with a Rage. I've shot 4 deer with them, and had3 pass throughs(I spined one of them and still almost got a passthrough). 2 of those passthroughs were on hard quartering away shots that hit the thin part of theshoulder blade on the far sideand ribs on the close side. I've shot a LOT of mechanicals and I've never seen a large diameter head penetrate like these.
Old 02-15-2008, 06:51 AM

You have to wacth what site is testing the head mine are completely unbiased and I dont get paid by anyone I spend the money on the heads and I tested them. Those site could be getting paid to report these findings..........
Old 02-15-2008, 07:08 AM
Giant Nontypical

My results have been this:

Doe 1-20 yardbroadside shot, hit high and back. Severed the femoral artery and spinal cord. Arrow passed through and buried 6 inches into the ground. Deer dropped and bled out in 20 seconds.

Doe 2-22 yard hard quartering away shot. Arrow entered slightly above the horizontal center of the deer behind the last rib. Front of the arrow exited in front of the far should at the bottom of the chest. Arrow stayed in the deer traveling more than its own length (26")through tissue. The deer ran 85 yards and piled up spraying blood from the ground to 5 feet in the air along the way.

These shots were taken with a 63# Mathews Drenalin with a 27.5" DL and a 422 grain arrow.

Good penetration for me thus far, and I'm a guy that will switch broadheads at the drop of a hat.
Old 02-15-2008, 07:20 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Hoytail Hunter

4) And for lack of better description, the two "cut-outs" in the main blades is cause for more friction. Imagine the BH trying to push through flesh but the back edges of the cut-outsare catching as the front of the bladesare cutting. A little counter productive in MY opinion.
This is a bogus argument IMO. Don't the vasy majority of fixed blade heads also have blade "cutouts"? No one seems to question the cutouts in a fixed blade... How come you're not telling me that my slick tricks have a major design flaw that robs penetration?

Old 02-15-2008, 07:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: DropTine249

I have never had a problem with rage heads. All of those deer, not one penetration issue.

In fact, the only none pass throughs I have had were on one doe, and she was drastically quartering away, so my arrow burried into her off side shoulder. And, my buck, but that was the same deal, smacked the bulk of the offside shoulder bone.

So, all pass throughs.

Also, keep in mind that a Grim Reaper has forward deploying blades. So, the blades are not open upon impact like a rages are. Reapers leave a much smaller entrance hole.

There is not another head on the market that compares to the rage. The CLOSEST thing would probably be rocky mountain snipers, and MAYBE that piston point design...Still dont compare on cutting surface.
The new Undertakers(1.5" cd)from Trophy Ridge Broadheads : Rocket Aeroheadslook sick and they have another one that's been aroundcalled the Hammerhead (2" cd) which is devastating. I have been using both the Grim Reaper Razorcut(1.5 cd)and the Razortip(1.75 cd) in the past couple of seasons and they are DEADLY. I spine shot a buck in 06' and the Razorcut broke the bone severly, I have seen broadheads stick in the bone andcut the spinal cord causing them to drop but I had never seen one cause a break in the bone.

Not knocking the Rage because I know a lot of folks love them but there are some other great heads out there, the Rage is simply the next "BIG" thing right now, a cool broadhead but they didn't reinvent the wheel.

Old 02-15-2008, 07:31 AM

ORIGINAL: Badger_Girl93

ORIGINAL: Hoytail Hunter

4) And for lack of better description, the two "cut-outs" in the main blades is cause for more friction. Imagine the BH trying to push through flesh but the back edges of the cut-outsare catching as the front of the bladesare cutting. A little counter productive in MY opinion.
This is a bogus argument IMO. Don't the vasy majority of fixed blade heads also have blade "cutouts"? No one seems to question the cutouts in a fixed blade... How come you're not telling me that my slick tricks have a major design flaw that robs penetration?

good point
Old 02-15-2008, 08:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: salukipv1
2" does seem big, but I'd take them over the 3 blade with less cutting area.
Normally, I stay out of the debate threads, but I have to disagree with this. Yep, 2" is a longer measurement than 1 3/8", but a 2" 2 blade head DOES NOT have more cutting area, or cutting surface than a 1 3/8" three blade head. It's just not possible.

Having saidthat, I'm absolutely certain that the Rage is a phenomenal head. It sure seems to be one of, if not THE most popular. I just choose to shoot Grim Reapers.

On the penetration issue, one of my shots this year (after surgery) was with a crossbow. 400 grain bolt with a Grim Reaper traveling at 310 fps. Similar to a fast compound setup, right? I took a hard quartering to (almost dead on) shot at 20 yards from 25 feet up. Feel free to jump me for taking a questionable shot, but I was sure I could make it work. The arrow penetrated just in front of the left shoulder, exited the body cavity just in front of the right hind-quarter, then passed through the right hind quarter and stuck in the ground. After that, I'm convinced that penetration isn't an issue for the Grim Reapers either. They're a great broadhead also... they just don't get as much publicity for some reason.
Old 02-15-2008, 08:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would suggest that any penetration problems with any broadhead are more related to how well the bow and the arrow are tuned, and tuned together, than to any broadhead design. The broadhead can only do as well as the arrow pushing it.
Old 02-15-2008, 08:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

I shot one deer (doe) wirh the Rage 2 blade and it passed completely through and took alot of the doe innards with it!!!!
Old 02-15-2008, 08:33 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Geronimo

I shot one deer (doe) wirh the Rage 2 blade and it passed completely through and took alot of the doe innards with it!!!!
You might wanna think about sharpening those dullRagesso they cut the innards instead of dragging them.! J/K, bro.

Quick Reply: Why the "Rage" doesn't penetrate well -UPDATE page 1 and 5

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.