Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Why the "Rage" doesn't penetrate well -UPDATE page 1 and 5

Old 02-15-2008, 03:15 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Why the "Rage" doesn't penetrate well

Guys I'm gonna post upaphotoand just tell you to trust me when I tell youit isUNdoctored. This was the last doe I shot, this past season.I don't post up some of the photos of the Rage trauma becaues I just don't think it's always necessary to show this much. To me, this is not disrespectful to the animal, though. I shot this doe from the other side.......retrieved her in the dark (about 30 minutes after I shot ther).......put her in the ATV....got her home.....and saw this when I unloaded her.

You're seeing the same thing I saw when I decided I needed to get the camera.

Old 02-15-2008, 04:50 AM
Fork Horn

The deployment of the blades is clearly a plus for the Rage. But the two blade head is trying to use wider cutting diameter to make up for being two bladed. Wider blades combined with somewhat shallow blade angle could reduce penetration for the two blade. The 3-blade ferrule just looks too fat to me! The big ferrule and again shallow blade angle could reduce penetration. That being said, on a high quality heart-lungs-liver shot through the rib cage, I have never heard of any penetration problems with the Rage/Snyper. Shoulder shots would be a problem as with most heads. IMHO!
Old 02-15-2008, 04:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

Yes it's the body, bigger than the tip way before it hits the blades so it acts like a wedge. If you drive a wedge through some thing it will blow the back out of some thing like the pic above illustrates. I'd be willing to bet the degree of the tip, not the blade is much greater than 20 degrees. Broadside shots with any head will most likely be no big deal. Doesn't always happen that way though.
Old 02-15-2008, 05:20 AM
Giant Nontypical

are some of you joking me???? I have NEVER seen so many good things said about a broadhead ..... here's the deal .... when your at the top, inevitably there will be some that try and knock you down ...... The Rage 2 blade has proven itself ....Jeff's reports ALONE are enough to convince me ..... ANYTHING, including a fiel tip, will work if put in the "pie plate" area ...... is it deer season yet
Old 02-15-2008, 05:49 AM

Muzzy Baby!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 02-15-2008, 05:56 AM

Reported penetration problems????? Huh????????? What, didn't the arrow bury far enough in the ground???

I don't use them, but I've seen first hand the "penetration problems".......for the deer that is.....

Rage are unlike any mechanical head on the market. They burn VERY little KE upon entry, in fact, they are at that point a fixed blade head. They are FULLY deployed before they enter.
Old 02-15-2008, 06:24 AM
Typical Buck

no problems here, the Ragecut thru two ribs going in and one going out onthe deer I shot
Old 02-15-2008, 06:27 AM

I shot a 200lbs deer quartering away at 40 yards with a used rage on it. It blow right through and buried in the ground. This is with a 3 blade rage and buy the way I have a 26 inch draw length and pulling 70 lbs. So you do the math on how much Ke I have with a guardian with my draw length an with a 352 grain arrow that moves at 273 buy the way its 61fp of Ke. If I can do that I dont know to many people that would have a problem with one. I used to use muzzys until I did a test on BH I used a muzzy, rage, sidewinder and sonic all 100 grain the sonic and rage penetrated more in to a 2 inch board then the others. Now do the others get the job done yes but with my draw length I want what penetrates the best and after my test out of all of those is rage and sonic.
Old 02-15-2008, 06:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

So I had to go to a site that test heads.

A retest. "Rage Failed" again.

Never seen them, don't care to. Nothing personal. I don't like expandables anyways.

Old 02-15-2008, 06:30 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: DropTine249

Same thing here Bow. I have shot more than 1 deer with a few of my heads. I didnt even have to sharpen them. Just hosed them off to get the dirt/mud out of them..checked that they were ok mechanically and they went back in the quiver.

My buck this year, I used the same point on him that I used the day before for that monster...It smacked into the ground, I pulled it out...Hosed it off and killed one the next day.

No issues other than you need to make sure that the blades are "locked" before you have to shoot.
Ive done the same thing a few times also! Excellent head!!

Quick Reply: Why the "Rage" doesn't penetrate well -UPDATE page 1 and 5

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.