Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

What is your definition???

Old 02-14-2008, 06:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What is your definition???

My definition:

Speed Bow: A bow usedby certainpeople; to look cool. To brag to his friends how "fast" his bow is.

j/k kinda[8D]
Old 02-14-2008, 07:01 PM

I just want a bow fast enough and quiet enoughthat a deer won't jump the string at 25yds..
Old 02-16-2008, 01:52 PM
Typical Buck

Anything over 300 with a STS will do for most string jumpers.
Old 02-16-2008, 02:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

If my Bow at my draw length is shooting over 300 fps. I consider it a Speed bow.

Dan
Old 02-16-2008, 02:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: MN/Kyle

My definition:

Speed Bow: A bow usedby certainpeople; to look cool. To brag to his friends how "fast" his bow is.

j/k kinda[8D]
Very true Kyle!!
Old 02-16-2008, 02:10 PM
Boone & Crockett

Any bow purchase for how fast it is first and not

Accuracy
Forgiveness
Feel
Noise

If you bought for the ___FPS it's a speed bow IMO

Example I bought Elite GTO for 1 reason how fast it is, I bought Cardiac to hunt with for the other 4
Old 02-16-2008, 04:31 PM
Giant Nontypical

who cares? I still say anything over 270? is fast/speed. Why is everyone nuts about speed? My bow shoots plenty fast, whether I shoot a light or heavy arrow, it's moving either way. I've never calculated my speed, might be curious to know, but don't really care, I check my draw weight. I think if anything people should consider a lighter arrow if they want more speed, though trying to create the world's lightest arrow and hunt with it, I'm not sure is a great idea just to gain speed. Also just build those muscles, practice, going from 60lbs to 70lbs of draw, would probably do more than anything to gain speed. So whether I'm shooting, 270, 290, 305fps, I really could care less.
Old 02-16-2008, 05:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

My personal line in my head for a "Speed bow" is anything rated 320fps or higher IBO. These are generally the more radical cam, higher reflex, lower brace height genre of bows.

And remember just because a bow CAN do a certain speed doesn't mean you have to shoot it that fast. That's where higher performance has some advantages. Shoot a heavier arrow the same speed as a lower performance bow for a boost in KE, or shoot a lower draw weight to get the same speed from the same arrow as a lower performance bow.
You can choose to give yourself more energy or do less work to get the same results, or both in some cases.

Its always nice to be able to SLOW a bow down because you have that luxury.........there aren't many practical options for SPEEDING one up especially if you are already at 5gr/lb and want or need to go faster.

I'd rather have it there IF I need it or want to use it than wish i had it in the first place.