Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Advice on deer hunting blind

Old 02-15-2008, 02:09 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 02-15-2008, 02:28 PM

Default RE: Advice on deer hunting blind

i had two different cheap blinds, one a dicks sporting goods and a cabelas full-draw2x both were to small and the windows were to low, but i'm6.4.i took both back and will be buying a double bull dark horse this summer. i hunt on the groung only so i will be using it about 90% of the time. if i were i get the double bull.
ORIGINAL: cooter144

Ok, I know that a Double Bull is the best blind.

But are there any other quality blinds out there that don't cost $400...like maybe in the $200-$250 range.

Or should I just bite the bullet and buy a Double Bull?
Old 02-15-2008, 02:35 PM

I own two Double Bulls. The only element thats given me any problem was snow. Two feet on the top of blind and the roof caved. That's it. I've hunted in wind, rain, heat, hail, you name it the Double Bull has withstood it.

Now, with that said, I purchased an Ameristep Brickhouse ($149.99) for my dad for Christmas. About the same dimensions as my Double Bulls, but a lot less expensive. Awesome blind for the money. We may pick up another one or two of them later this spring.

Ameristep has several other options, more expensive than the Brickhouse, but bigger and better built.

Eastman offers several models in your price range as well.

My advice, stay away from the "pop up" blinds and get yourself a good hub style blind. Nothing is more aggrivating than having a blind, fully set up, in your basement for two years before finally accidentally getting it folded back up. [:@]Hub style blinds, with a little practice, can be put away in less than a minute.
Old 02-15-2008, 02:50 PM
Giant Nontypical

Well Dan, with a little practice pop-ups can be folded up in a few seconds. The first few tries, I was ready to scream and then it all came together. No problem at all now.
Old 02-15-2008, 03:06 PM

I never could get it, Greg. My dad finally did it on accident, so I said to hell with it and let him have it. Funny part is, he bought it for me for my 16th birthday. [&:]
Old 02-16-2008, 04:24 AM

ORIGINAL: Matt / PA

The funny thing is I keep reading Double Bull, Double Bull but when I talked to our Antelope Outiftter in Wyoming last year he basically said "Yeah the Double Bulls LOOK nice, but they got pummeled in a matter of a couple weeks out in the elements".
He uses all Eastman blinds and flat out said that they are MUCH tougher and will take the beating that the winds can dish out on the open terrain in WY.
He no longer uses ANY Double Bull blinds.

To me that says a lot if you plan to not baby your stuff............I don't know 1st hand either way because I don't know much about them and don't own any pop up style blinds yet. Just relaying that info from a guy who relies on blinds for his business.

I dont buy that Matt. He must have stock in eastman or something like that LoL! I have used many blinds over the years including ameristep, eastman and double bull as well as others and double bulls are without a doubt the best. My buddy got one last year and used it twice before it fell apart and had to throw it away. Guess who wants a double bull now

rick

Old 02-16-2008, 06:59 AM
Fork Horn

eastmans undercover pro 360 ,decent price 200-250
easy to set up ,lots of room and preety tough ,i left a hunt for lunch one day and left my blind in the woods that day and was tired as hell went home to take a nap and dint wake up till the next day .Now the blind was not staked down or nothing we had 35-40 mph winds gusts that night ,when i woke up and watched tv and saw the wind advisorry, i swear i nevr swore and was more mad then that day ,went to the woods to my spot and the blind was gone i searched for hrs and found it about 300 yards away almost folded up for me lol and the only thing the happened is the rods poped out of their pockets thats all ,i have no idea how the thing got to where it was but it had to take a nice 15-20 foot highflight to get to where it was .
so even though i do want to check out a double bull blind and possibly have one ,this one seems to delay the time a little do to the experiance and everyone definetly has different experiances otherwise our opinions would not matter much as things would be so very similiar and preety much boring if you ask .
Old 02-16-2008, 07:08 AM
Dominant Buck

I dont buy that Matt. He must have stock in eastman or something like that LoL! I have used many blinds over the years including ameristep, eastman and double bull as well as others and double bulls are without a doubt the best. My buddy got one last year and used it twice before it fell apart and had to throw it away. Guess who wants a double bull now

rick
No offense.....but I'd trust the opinion of a guy with NO affiliation over the guy with a stake in the matter.

Hardcorehunter (Don) and Germ (Gary) are both Eastman ASAT blind owners (and I think Don also owns a DB). I'd seek their input if I were in a buying mood. If "I" were going to buy another blind, today......that's the blind I would buy (ASAT).

Oh......I currently own a DB Matrix and love it......but for $150 less.....I'd buy the ASAT in a SECOND.
Old 02-16-2008, 09:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

rick
rick,
I don't know........that's what he said because we ASKED him why he doesn't use Double Bull. He said HE DID> his quote was something like:
"They look pretty and work great for a short time but they just get pummelled out on that open prarie by wind because I have to leave them out for months so the goats get used to them" They don't hold up.

I'm sure that's an extreme case though too, just sitting out for months at a time in western wind and weather with NO protection. Like I said I don't know either way, I've hunted from a couple but don't own one and have never even set one up.

Another thing I was just reading was on that 'Other" site ........guys were up in arms because they were worried that Primos buying Double Bull would change the waranty status of the blinds. There was guy after guy talking about how they use the warranty to get new poles that break under warranty? Seemed like an awful lot of guys who had broken poles or rods or whatever you call them (I'm not a blind guy LOL )
They weren't going to buy them anymore if they couldn't get the busted rods for free under warranty anymore.

Beats me, I think they look really nice and I'm trying to find a use for SOME pop-up blind, I can tell you for a fact that our outfitter WANTED to like them, but won't use them anymore.
Old 02-16-2008, 09:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: wallhangr

I got an Ameristep Doghouse for Christmas awhile back, although they say it's big enough to bowhunt out of, I won't. The windows are too low for me to shoot out of unless I'm kneeling on the ground.
the best advice i can give without knowing how or what kind of conditions you will be hunting in is to GET A HUB MODEL any hub model that just pops out will work fine......i baught a VENOM hub model on ebay, but i just looked and it appears they are sold out for now...but check on them....they are OK for the price....no EXCELLENT...but for the price you cannot beat it.....

Quick Reply: Advice on deer hunting blind

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.