Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Best DIY out of state hunt

Old 02-14-2008, 10:13 AM

Default Best DIY out of state hunt

I was thinking about a DIY hunt someplace in the northwest and was hoping or some ideas... Montana looks good but there is so much public land its hard to know where a out of stater should go. Also I was looking at south east Idaho. That area looks good for elk.I live in Washington state and from what I’ve seen on the west side of the cascades hunting kind of sucks…

In the past my favorite DIY hunt was a Colorado hunt I went on with my father. It was good times with two small mules bagged and zero elk.
Old 02-14-2008, 10:58 PM

Default RE: Best DIY out of state hunt

Chase, Idaho has some management units in the Northern part with some good elk. It is draw only but there are good odds of drawing. Look for hunting units 13 and 18. They are on the western side and aren't quite over ran with wolves yet. They also would be a reaonable trip from you.
Old 02-14-2008, 11:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Best DIY out of state hunt

DIY? 1st DIY? I'd say antelope Wyoming.....many 100% draw units though those may not have alot of public, or it may be of a checkerboard style. Wyoming does have some good leftover antelope tags in good units, saw on eastman's tv show them kill a B&C on public land with a leftover permit! I'd suggest this as far as good harvest %, chasing an elk anywhere esp non res DIY aren't good odds, esp as a 1st DIY, or never having done an out of state DIY.

Idaho sounds good above as stated, I've heard alot about wolves though.

Colorado deer sounds good, though I think the good units all have bad draw rates, or mostly private land. Depends what you want.

I'd say Wyoming Antelope, camp out, have agreat time, def shoot something....or the chance to, work hard probably a good buck, maybe a great one! Use to be able to get up to 4 doe tags in some units, so if you want to blast 5 animals.....? can get 2 doe tags, then 2 more bonus tags for like $15 a peice or something.