Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

When quality doesn't matter

Old 02-13-2008, 12:08 PM

Default RE: When quality doesn't matter

im wantin the DB, just so i can shoot yotes with my bow. i hate the idea of shooting through a net, but i been busted so many times in treestands and in blinds, pullig my bow back on a yote @ 20 yards.
Old 02-13-2008, 12:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

As for the binocs..I use them alot ..I've tried for years to save money on them. I kidded my cousin unmercifully when he spent $300 dollars on a pair and we looked through each and saw no visible difference between his and my $50 dollar ones. Yes that day we compared them was something..a pretty day clear, sunny and warm.
Most whitetail mornings are neither bright, clear or warm...I spent more replacing those cheapy's then he has invested..and THEN I still got the $300 dollar pair! Yeah he was the fool...

Good binocs are worth the money..same can be said for MOST things.
Old 02-13-2008, 12:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: HNI_Christine

I prefer 'frugal' over 'cheap'.

Back when I had binocs, I had a pair of Steiner Predators. (I ran over them with my truck and they survived just fine) I won a pair of Swarovski's (sp?) but I sold them on ebay. I'm not carrying around a pair of 800.00 binocs for whitetails in IL.

Back when I had a trail cam, I had a camtrakker. (worth every penny, but I did use a ridiculous amount of chain and locks when it was in the woods)

I use a hodge-podge of flashlights. Usually maglites. I carry the baby ones for hunting and keep a big one in the truck. (they're not just flash lights, you can kill stuff with them... trust me on this.)

For camo, I wear everything from Cabela's bargain cave camo sweat pants to a Scentlok fleece jacket and pants.

I use a Summit climber because it's a good stand at areasonable price. (and it mostly survived being run over by my truck)

I use Muzzy broadheads because they are good and cheap.
You will never catch me standing around you truck
Old 02-13-2008, 01:01 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: MNpurple

Boots top this list for me. I've bought $50-$300 (Danners, Lacrose, Mendle, Cabelas, etc)pairs of boots and always get the same result, they last maybe 2 seasons of very hard use and that is it no matter how I care for them. It frustrating paying that much for something that just doesnt seem to last so I top out at about the most comfortable $100 pair I can find now.

WHo know maybe my feet are just misshapen?

Oh Hell no , say it aint so, I have killed bears thats claws were not that long. Thats a 5 jaw dropper
Old 02-13-2008, 01:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

Germ, I honestly think my binos are "good enough". Its not that I can't afford better binos, I just don't think I need them. I don't carry bino's to the stand (never have) and the truck ones take a beating. I clean them when they need it and have never regretted spending $35 for them in 1987.I didn't intend to start a "who's the cheapest on HNI" thread.My point was.....where do you draw the line on certain items? I hit my threshold on BH's last year. $30 for 3 is the most I'm paying from now on, and I still think I need my head checked for paying that much.
Old 02-13-2008, 01:32 PM
Super Moderator

Sheesh, I accidently run over two things in five years and you guys are scared?

It's the things I run over on purpose that should scare you. There's a reason there's a skull and crossbones on the front of my truck. (I did stop just short of putting "You can run but you'll just die tired" on my bug guard.) [8D]

Hijack over.. for now.
Old 02-13-2008, 02:24 PM

Personally I'd rather make the investment up front so that down the line I won't be replacing something because my "inexpensive" [read; cheap] item broke, failed, etc.

I've got the $800 bow.

I've got two of the $400 blinds. (Though I didn't pay full price for either.)

I've got the $70 release.

I've got the $200 range finder.

If and when I travel with my bow, I'll have the $200 SKB case.

Does it necessarily help me kill animals any better? Not really.

Am I comfortable in knowing that I've got quality equipment that likely won't fail on me in the field? Yup.

Just my opinion.
Old 02-13-2008, 02:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Germ

1) Binos-I'm not a big binocular guy, I have a pair of cheap 10X50's I've had over 20 years that still work. I can't see spending $400 on them for what I use them for and how little they get used.
I will say this, until you have used a great pair of binos, one does not know. I felt the same way until I used a pair of Swarkoski.

I am a product of my GrandFather. I am a tight wad on everything execpt hunting gear. A quote from Grandpa
"Jr by the best, or you will always wish you had"
My father's quote is "If you buy the best, then you only cry once."

However, "best" and "most expensive" are not always the same thing
Old 02-13-2008, 03:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

I don't skimp. If I want it, I get it. I'm realistic but rarely if ever, cheap.
That's my Policy!! I think you get what you pay for, and many times buying cheap costs you more in the long run.

Dan
Old 02-13-2008, 03:27 PM
Giant Nontypical

I'm mid range. I try to get clothes cheap. Binos low to mid range works fine. Rests I am probably the cheapest on. $20 TM hunter baby! Everything else, mid range and looking for deals.

Targets....I'm REAL cheap on those. Arrows depending on perspective I'm cheap. I didn't pay a whole lot for the GT's I use, but they are a good arrow. Never felt like shelling out for ACC's or FMJ's or anything.

Quick Reply: When quality doesn't matter

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.