Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

When quality doesn't matter

Old 02-13-2008, 11:32 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: When quality doesn't matter

ORIGINAL: HNI_Christine

I prefer 'frugal' over 'cheap'.

Back when I had binocs, I had a pair of Steiner Predators. (I ran over them with my truck and they survived just fine) I won a pair of Swarovski's (sp?) but I sold them on ebay. I'm not carrying around a pair of 800.00 binocs for whitetails in IL.

Back when I had a trail cam, I had a camtrakker. (worth every penny, but I did use a ridiculous amount of chain and locks when it was in the woods)

I use a hodge-podge of flashlights. Usually maglites. I carry the baby ones for hunting and keep a big one in the truck. (they're not just flash lights, you can kill stuff with them... trust me on this.)

For camo, I wear everything from Cabela's bargain cave camo sweat pants to a Scentlok fleece jacket and pants.

I use a Summit climber because it's a good stand at areasonable price. (and it mostly survived being run over by my truck)

I use Muzzy broadheads because they are good and cheap.
Please, if we ever hunt together, remind me not to place anything near your truck! LOL

Boots top this list for me. I've bought $50-$300 (Danners, Lacrose, Mendle, Cabelas, etc)pairs of boots and always get the same result, they last maybe 2 seasons of very hard use and that is it no matter how I care for them. It frustrating paying that much for something that just doesnt seem to last so I top out at about the most comfortable $100 pair I can find now.

WHo know maybe my feet are just misshapen?

Old 02-13-2008, 11:34 AM
Boone & Crockett

1) Binos-I'm not a big binocular guy, I have a pair of cheap 10X50's I've had over 20 years that still work. I can't see spending $400 on them for what I use them for and how little they get used.
I will say this, until you have used a great pair of binos, one does not know. I felt the same way until I used a pair of Swarkoski.

I am a product of my GrandFather. I am a tight wad on everything execpt hunting gear. A quote from Grandpa
"Jr by the best, or you will always wish you had"

Old 02-13-2008, 11:35 AM

1) binos are nikon team realtree 10x25, get them has an christmas gift 3 years go ( they were $100 ) and the eye piece broke this year so i super glued it back on. they work great too i felt naked that day with out them.

2)i have a wildview trailcam$50 at walmart

3) flashlight a mini mag. light ( i try not use it, any light when going in the woods )
4) i have 1 set of cabelas legacy fleece, realtree bid and pants and fleece from walmart, and two sets of long johns.

my bow was $250, sights $100, rest free thank you mobow, just put a sts on it $40, and my arrows are cabelas stalker extreme with blazers $65 ( they were strong made by easton ) and my broadheads are slick tricks
Old 02-13-2008, 11:39 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 02-13-2008, 11:43 AM
Dominant Buck

so I dont see spending $200 on a DB as a needed expense.
LOL....I wish!
Old 02-13-2008, 11:45 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: DropTine249

Thanks MN..now Im going to save alot of money that I WOULD have spent on lunch....
Yeah no kiddin...[:'(]
Old 02-13-2008, 11:48 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 02-13-2008, 12:05 PM

ORIGINAL: DropTine249

GMMAT, did you buy a DB because of the space and window layout for filming ?

That is the ONLY reason I would spend the $$ on a blind with that layout. OTher than that, my Ameristep works just fine.
He probably said i wish because the Matrix 360s and Dark Horses fetch 400 bucks, not 200. I really, really want a Matrix 360, but like you i value my money too much to dish out that much dough right now.

As far as the bow case goes, I too use a cheap Plano. But now must buy a second case for my trip this fall. If one plans to travel on a plane to hunt anytime in the future, go ahead and get the expensive case. Now ill have both.[&:]

Quick Reply: When quality doesn't matter

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.