Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

5 pin or 7 pin sight?

Old 02-06-2008, 07:41 AM

Default 5 pin or 7 pin sight?

My bow should be back today so I can pick it up from the Pro Shop. I am probably going to buy a Spot Hogg sight when I get it unless another brand captures my interest. My confusion is whether I should get a 5 pin or 7 pin sight.

I will be using it for hunting (obviously) mostly whitetail but also other game. I live in the midwest (Illinois) to give you an idea of the game. I will hopefully make a couple of hunts out of state as well. I will be doing 3-D shooting but not for competition, just mainly fun.

Sohow is the best way to decide what is best????

p.s. I will have pictures/video when I get it back and complete.

Old 02-06-2008, 07:53 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: 5 pin or 7 pin sight?

You might want to take a look at the Copper John's Dead Nuts 2 sights. Not that there is anything wrong with the Spot Hogg's, just something to give you some options.
Old 02-06-2008, 08:03 AM
Giant Nontypical

Split the diff...go with the Copper John 6 pin.. I did!
Old 02-06-2008, 08:05 AM

How does Copper John compare to Spot Hogg as far as durability, adjustability, performance, brightness...?
Old 02-06-2008, 08:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

I currently have the spot hogg hunter 5 pin on both my bows. I like it very much. I won't be regularly shooting at distances that require a 6 or 7 pin so that is why the 5 pin. When hunting season starts again I will actually be removing the 4 and 5 pin. During hunting season my max practice range is 35 yards (my hunting range is 25) so I won't really need the other 2 pins.

With all of that said, decide what ranges you will be shooting and what pin spacings you want(10 or 15 yards) and get the sight with the number of pins you will need.
Old 02-06-2008, 08:19 AM
Typical Buck

Personally I don't like having that many pins. You said you hunt in the midwest so would it be safe to say that most of your shots happen at prob 35 yards or less? I think thats prob where the majority of bow shots take place and for that reason I only shoot one pin. You mentioned shooting 3d and going out west and for that it would seem like the precision you could get from having more pins would be helpful, but in my opinion for the majority of whitetail hunting having that many pins is unnecessary. But like I said that's just my personal opinion, shoot whatever you are comfortable with.
Old 02-06-2008, 09:17 AM

I really like 3 pins myself. I feel this keeps my effective range closer, making for more confident shooting, just me though. Also, once you get more than pins, I feel the sight picture is just too clouded with multiple colors. Plus, less pins means less chance at confusion with which pin for which sight, I know it shouldn't happen, but when that big 'ol 12 pointer is coming into range, I don't wanna take any chances!
Old 02-06-2008, 09:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

I had to laugh 5 pins or 7 pins? how about 25 pins? haha. I know guys that only have 1 pin, I've always had 3, and now that i've hunted outwest I'm considering a 5 pin. So I'd certainly say get a 5 pin, 7 I think would be way too confusing, even 3 or 5 confuses some guys, but 5 I think is pretty safe, from the center pin there will only be 2 pins up or down, witha 7 pin, now you have 3 up and 3 down from center, so like in an instant you say goto your 40yd pin....then its like which is my 40......ok my 3rd pin.....I think 5 would be much quicker to identify your pins than a 7, and would suspect more errors would come with a 7 than a 5. If you use a 5 pin at 20, 30, 40, 50, 60yds, how far do you want to shoot? then at 70 youll still have a good idea where to put your 60yd pin, do you plan to shoot past 70yds? even with 3 pins you can get away with 20, 35, 50 or 25, 40, 55yds.
Old 02-06-2008, 09:28 AM
Nontypical Buck

why would you need more than 5 pins, plan on shooting a deer from 70-80 yards?
Old 02-06-2008, 09:36 AM

ORIGINAL: ABarOfSoap

why would you need more than 5 pins, plan on shooting a deer from 70-80 yards?

Quick Reply: 5 pin or 7 pin sight?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.