Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

5 pin or 7 pin sight?

Old 02-06-2008, 10:10 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: 5 pin or 7 pin sight?

Copper John is very durable, but the pins are a little acceptible to fiber breakage. I got the five pin, i use three for hunting and keep two for spares.
ORIGINAL: LostInWoods

How does Copper John compare to Spot Hogg as far as durability, adjustability, performance, brightness...?
Old 02-06-2008, 10:22 AM
Giant Nontypical

the way i see it, 5 pins gets you 60yds...2 more and your out to 80 if you start them at 20 and go in 10yd increments like alot of guys do.

for the normal hunter/casual target shooter, 60yds is a long shot at a target...but, if you master 60, 70 is next if you want. i personally enjoy "long range" (50+yd) target shooting. makes 40 and less seem like a cake walk...and if you can group at long ranges, you have to be consistent with everything you do...

i went with a 4 pin viper this year...i really think i can put a good 2 more pins in there easy...i want atleast my top 2 pins to be .019 for hunting..so i will be upto atleast 6pins if i want...should fit those easily...i will decide what i like after i get those 2 on....when im in the treestand, i dont even notice the rest of the pins on the sight...this year i told myself top pin only or im not shooting...thats the only pin i seen...knew it was the top green pin...the other 4 didnt bother me a bit and i had no confusion at the moment of truth...in the woods of PA i dont see myself shooting past 25 maybe 30 tops..just dont hunt fields or open woods much to worry about the other pins when im in the stand
Old 02-06-2008, 10:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

IMO the 5 pin would be better. I don't know about anyone else but i don't think i would like all of those pins up there
Old 02-06-2008, 12:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

I don't want that many pins in my field of view when I'm shooting so I'd go with no more than three.
Old 02-06-2008, 03:50 PM
Fork Horn

i would use a 5 pin if you mainly hunt the midwest 7 can just get to cluttered
Old 02-06-2008, 03:51 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: gmil6184

Personally I don't like having that many pins. You said you hunt in the midwest so would it be safe to say that most of your shots happen at prob 35 yards or less? I think thats prob where the majority of bow shots take place and for that reason I only shoot one pin. You mentioned shooting 3d and going out west and for that it would seem like the precision you could get from having more pins would be helpful, but in my opinion for the majority of whitetail hunting having that many pins is unnecessary. But like I said that's just my personal opinion, shoot whatever you are comfortable with.
Exactly...one pin is all I use!
Old 02-06-2008, 04:15 PM
Typical Buck

The more pins you have the more distances you have to estimate correctly. I switched from a single to three pins this year and missed 2 deer because of poor yardage estimation. Completely my fault but 2 extra pins had a hand in it.
Old 02-06-2008, 08:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

Personally I'd go with the 5 pin... 7 pins seems like things could get to 'crowded' for my liking...
Old 02-07-2008, 05:52 PM

How about Black Gold? Anyone ever use them? How do they compare to Spot Hogg or Copper John?
Old 02-07-2008, 07:05 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: LostInWoods

How about Black Gold? Anyone ever use them? How do they compare to Spot Hogg or Copper John?
I used a Flash point 4 pin last season and all of last summer. But during the offseason I prefer the adjustability of the Spot Hogg. I try different arrows and change the pin ranges and the adjustibility of the sight and the pins on the SH is fantastic. During the hunting season, once the pins are set, either sight would be as good, at least for me, although I will be using the SH's from here on out.

Quick Reply: 5 pin or 7 pin sight?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.