Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hostage Pro Rest

Old 02-14-2008, 12:15 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Hostage Pro Rest

Fletch contact is obviously a bad thing but in the case of the WB, it's equal on all fletch so it does not affect arrow flight unlike say if one fletch catches a prong on a shoot through.

I would "assume" that with the Hostage Pro, one wouldn't clamp down on the arrow but leave room for a fluent passthrough like the WB. The WB doesn't clamp down on the arrow nor would I set a Hostage Pro to clamp down on an arrow.

I would also, "assume" that if you do have fletch contact depending on fletch and size of the shaft with the Hostage Pro, it would also be equal on all 3 fletch. Time will tell when the start shipping. I'm anxious to play with one. I'll be shooting Blazers with a hard offset. I know I don't get fletch contact with the original Hostage but again, it's a big hole for my Blazers.
Old 02-14-2008, 12:47 PM
Site Bouncer

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

Fletch contact is obviously a bad thing but in the case of the WB, it's equal on all fletch so it does not affect arrow flight unlike say if one fletch catches a prong on a shoot through.

I would "assume" that with the Hostage Pro, one wouldn't clamp down on the arrow but leave room for a fluent passthrough like the WB. The WB doesn't clamp down on the arrow nor would I set a Hostage Pro to clamp down on an arrow.

I would also, "assume" that if you do have fletch contact depending on fletch and size of the shaft with the Hostage Pro, it would also be equal on all 3 fletch. Time will tell when the start shipping. I'm anxious to play with one. I'll be shooting Blazers with a hard offset. I know I don't get fletch contact with the original Hostage but again, it's a big hole for my Blazers.
Thanks Rob,

Yeah, I'm pretty anxious to see how the Pro model will work as well.

I guess you could tell what I was eluding to and thatis, if both rests are going to have fletch contact and I'm almost positive the Hostage Pro will as well with anything more than a 4deg fletch, then what is the advantage over a W/B. At least with the W/B you will get full containment with no chance of your arrow popping through. It's also proved to be very consistent as far as fletch contact is concerned, the jury is still out on the Hostage. I believe I was getting uneven fletch contact and that's what was causing my sporadic arrow flight.

I do think though that being able to adjust the Hostage Pro, one might be able to "tweak" it somewhat. I'll be looking forward to your (or anyone else's) report on how it works.

I haven't given up on this rest yet, I like the idea of it. I know the original Hostage rest is no way near the rest the Whisker Biscuit isbut perhaps the Pro will fair better.
Old 02-14-2008, 06:09 PM
Giant Nontypical

I see exactly what you are talking about buckeye and I agree you will have some of the vane on a helical fletch pass through the black bristles. However the rest of the arrow is still being supported by the other bristles and while the black bristles are stiffer they are not that different to where you get an erratic arrow flight.
Not exactly the point I was trying to make....

Go nock a helical arrow on your bowstring... Slowly pull the arrow thru the WB and let me know what the vanes do, especially the hen vanes....

My problem with shooting a helical fletch thru the wb is the fletching is commited to it's path as the leading edge of the vane dictates where it "cuts" thru the bristles at..... The back end of the fletching is in for a ruff ride.

IMO I would not shoota helical arrow thru a wb.... I have used a wb in the past as well, so I am not a hater... I am only saying that it has it's limitations.

Old 02-14-2008, 09:47 PM
Site Bouncer

ORIGINAL: buckeye

I see exactly what you are talking about buckeye and I agree you will have some of the vane on a helical fletch pass through the black bristles. However the rest of the arrow is still being supported by the other bristles and while the black bristles are stiffer they are not that different to where you get an erratic arrow flight.
Not exactly the point I was trying to make....

Go nock a helical arrow on your bowstring... Slowly pull the arrow thru the WB and let me know what the vanes do, especially the hen vanes....

My problem with shooting a helical fletch thru the wb is the fletching is commited to it's path as the leading edge of the vane dictates where it "cuts" thru the bristles at..... The back end of the fletching is in for a ruff ride.

IMO I would not shoota helical arrow thru a wb.... I have used a wb in the past as well, so I am not a hater... I am only saying that it has it's limitations.
Ah....I see now.I did what you asked and slowly pulled a helical fletched arrow through the biscuit. I can see where you're coming from and how the whole fletch takes the path that the front cut causing the rear of the fletch to kinda fold over.

However, the problem (as Isee it) is, when shot from your bow, the arrow doesn't move slowly through the biscuit, it's moving at a high rate of speedand the bristles are soft enough to where you actually have bristle displacementcaused by the vanes. I believe there was a slow motion video showing a Whisker Biscuit in action. It was made to show how much it wobbles after the shot. I don't want to get into all that was "set up" with that video to make the rest look bad I just want to bring to your attention what the bristlesdid when an arrowwas shot through it at fullspeed. It showsjust how the bristles will get displaced by the fletchings after they initially slice into it. They proved to be very flexible and it wasn't even the newer designed softer B-2 biscuit, it was the older all black one.

The length of the bristles are what give it it's flexibility to allow the vanes to push through them rather than slice through. Yet they will still support the arrow because it (the arrow) rests on the ends of many bristles (strength in numbers). At speed you won't get the same results as you do when you slowly pull an arrow through it. The leading edge of the vane doesn't "dictate" where the back edge goes, there's some bristle displacement that occurs.

Now the bristles on the Hostage rest I testedwere the exactopposite, they werevery short and stiff. They areno where nearas flexible as the W/B bristles. If a helical, or anything more than 4Deg vane were to start to "cut" through one of them (and they will) I seriously doubt they will be as forgiving as the W/B bristles. This, along with what Ifelt was inconsistent fletch contact, is what was giving me my poor results with that rest.
Old 02-14-2008, 10:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

I did see a kid shooting a Hostage a couple weeks ago and he set the arrow on top of the bristles and didn't make sure it was set down inside the rest,he shot a little high.

I could actually see this happening in the dark woods on a cold winter morning and when the moment of truth came,well,some one wouldn't be very happy.Like they dropped a water bottle or something.[8D]
Old 02-15-2008, 12:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

are drop aways better than other styles? in theory? what about reality? how hard is it to set up/tune correctly to drop away in time? also with fast/light arrows? will it not drop away in time? and are the noisy? To me in theory they sound awesome, though mine current NAP quicktune works great, no problems ever, quiet. Heard of problems with drop away, though if they're set up right, are there still problems? noise? contact? more trouble than they're worth? Not broke? don't fix it?
Old 02-15-2008, 05:41 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: TFOX

I did see a kid shooting a Hostage a couple weeks ago and he set the arrow on top of the bristles and didn't make sure it was set down inside the rest,he shot a little high.

I could actually see this happening in the dark woods on a cold winter morning and when the moment of truth came,well,some one wouldn't be very happy.Like they dropped a water bottle or something.[8D]
Well is was a hot sweaty night so I have no idea what you are talking about.

Good info guys
Old 03-07-2008, 12:07 PM

For what it's worth, I just changed my rest from this rest to a drop away. The biggest complaint I have with the Catawba (and I assume it would be the same with the upgraded model) is that as the bottom brush begins to wear, and it will if you shoot alot, you have to compensate by lowering your sights. Once you replace this bottom brush, you have to again raise your sights to compensate for the new site and begin all over again. It's true, it does not damage your fletching and it really does not fall off of the brushes often enough to make it a deal breaker but the bottom brush seems to wear from arrow friction while the other two don't even touch your arrow, let alone wear. At first I thought this was a good thing, thinking as the bottom one wore, I could simply rotate it out with one of the sides. This works but as I said, you then have to readjust the sites again and start the process all over. I saw a new model out that looks like this rest but has some type of rubber pad or 'hard' rest on the bottom instead of a brush which looks like someone is trying to fix the problem. I have never used a WB for any extended time to see what brush wear does to the sighting but it's something to keep in mind when you are using these brush rests as opposed to a harder surfave.
Old 03-07-2008, 12:18 PM

http://www.basspro.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?storeId=10151&catalogId=10001&a mp;langId=-1&partNumber=62442&hvarTarget=search&c mCat=SearchResults

Here is a link to the newer rest I mentioned above, as sold by BP. It looks like a plastic ramp in leu of the bottom brush but otherwise looks similar to the Catawba. It also looks as though the side brushes are closer to the arrow. I don't know how difficult it might be to get replacement brushes for it though.
Old 03-07-2008, 04:39 PM

For what it's worth, I just changed my rest from this rest to a drop away. The biggest complaint I have with the Catawba (and I assume it would be the same with the upgraded model) is that as the bottom brush begins to wear, and it will if you shoot alot, you have to compensate by lowering your sights. Once you replace this bottom brush, you have to again raise your sights to compensate for the new site and begin all over again. It's true, it does not damage your fletching and it really does not fall off of the brushes often enough to make it a deal breaker but the bottom brush seems to wear from arrow friction while the other two don't even touch your arrow, let alone wear. At first I thought this was a good thing, thinking as the bottom one wore, I could simply rotate it out with one of the sides. This works but as I said, you then have to readjust the sites again and start the process all over. I saw a new model out that looks like this rest but has some type of rubber pad or 'hard' rest on the bottom instead of a brush which looks like someone is trying to fix the problem. I have never used a WB for any extended time to see what brush wear does to the sighting but it's something to keep in mind when you are using these brush rests as opposed to a harder surface.