Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Light arrow penetration

Old 02-05-2008, 01:59 PM

Default RE: Light arrow penetration

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

As a novice (in anyting techie) I'll ask a pertinent question, then, Dan.

At 25yds.....how much difference in arrow drop between the two. Let's put this into perspective.
I don't have the software to give exact numbers, but it's not as much as you would think. It really isn't. Let's put it this way.....I just had my bow sighted in @ 20 yards, 394 grain arrow. I switched to a 490 grain arrow, impact point was the same. It really isn't as much as we would like to think......Is it lower? yes. Is a light arrow flatter? Yes. But not as much as we want to believe.
Old 02-05-2008, 01:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

Jeff, I did not measure drop as such, but when I set the single pin up with the heavy arrow I could only get 47 yards without running out of travel. Now those 2 arrows to me are kind of at both ends of the spectrum at least for me, and I can tell you the trajectory is a lot different. I will still use the FMJ's but only in certain situations

You'll get no argument from me that the heavy arrows will penetrate a little better. Is that a concern? You tell me, the 326 grain Maxima blew through the Mule Deer in the first picture at 51 yards. It was shot out of my 60# Allegiance and was packing 65.6#KE My Airborne 82 shoots that same arrow at 308 fps and packs 68.69#KE

You think I'll worry about that KE?

Dan
Old 02-05-2008, 02:07 PM
Boone & Crockett

Why a crossbow is only good to about 30 yds IMO, bolts are to light and cannot hold energy.

I am on the heavy arrow bandwagon, have been forever My bows are setup for my mistake, not when I make a perfect shot
If I happen tohit the shoulder I want all the KE I can get. An inch may matter
Old 02-05-2008, 02:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

There are Pro heavy arrow guys and Pro Light arrow guys I am neither, but I know both will work. I've proved that over the years. I use whatever I feel fits the situation better.

Not much use in using a Cannon to kill Crows

Carry on Argue for 15 pages I'm out of here. Good luck with whatever you shoot

Dan
Old 02-05-2008, 02:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

I was very happy with the 400 grain arrows I used this year, I moved up from the 340's. The Beman Camo Hunters blasted right through the three deer I shot.

Old 02-05-2008, 02:19 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: MeanV2

There are Pro heavy arrow guys and Pro Light arrow guys I am neither, but I know both will work. I've proved that over the years. I use whatever I feel fits the situation better.

Not much use in using a Cannon to kill Crows

Carry on Argue for 15 pages I'm out of here. Good luck with whatever you shoot

Dan
Sure bow out, LOL Can I get a bowtech in treestand camo
Old 02-05-2008, 02:20 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Germ

Sure bow out, LOL Can I get a bowtech in treestand camo
I hope Someday!![8D]

Dan
Old 02-05-2008, 02:35 PM

So what does this all mean for hunter in the field? The faster arrow is going to have a little better trajectory - for shots beyond 40 yards. And a little better time-of-flight to thwart the wary whitetail from jumping the string. Heavier arrow is quieter off the string, is easier on the bow,and has better penetration. There are thousands of archers all over the world weighing these things out, and most of them are using "medium" weight arrows for "medium" critters - like 400 grain arrows for animals in the deer and elk size class. I wouldn't hesitate to use a minimal 5 grain per lb. of draw weight arrow for 100 lb animals - and might go up to 10 grains per pound of draw weight for a real big critter.
Old 02-05-2008, 02:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

edit.
Old 02-05-2008, 03:10 PM
Typical Buck

Given to me by a good source in arrow selection, the following chart shows thatup to 6-6.5 gpp, KE increases proportionately, but above that your not getting much return on the heavy arrow.

Quick Reply: Light arrow penetration

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.