Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bowhunting dangerous game!

Old 02-08-2008, 01:36 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Bowhunting dangerous game!

ORIGINAL: HuntingBry

ORIGINAL: Germ

I agree I am a wuss I just know my place on the food chain Even with a Gun I am not going[&:]
Me too, as long as I've got my toys it's at the top.
many have died who thought like that
Old 02-08-2008, 01:47 PM
Giant Nontypical

dieing does not make you more ethical or a better hunter there is no reson why not to carry the back up
now not needing it is what impresses me
ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Wanna impress me?

Ditch the backup rifle.

Now then.....I'm impressed. No takers? I think THAT would be way up there on the ethics scale. You know.....when the food chains are on a more even keel.
Old 02-08-2008, 01:49 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: bigtim6656

dieing does not make you more ethical or a better hunter there is no reson why not to carry the back up

Wanna impress me?

Ditch the backup rifle.

Now then.....I'm impressed. No takers? I think THAT would be way up there on the ethics scale. You know.....when the food chains are on a more even keel.
Well put Tim!!
Old 02-08-2008, 01:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

thank you
ORIGINAL: Schultzy

ORIGINAL: bigtim6656

Wanna impress me?

Ditch the backup rifle.

Well put Tim!!
Old 02-08-2008, 02:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: HuntingBry

I agree I am a wuss I just know my place on the food chain Even with a Gun I am not going[&:]
Me too, as long as I've got my toys it's at the top.
many have died who thought like that
You know what they say, "It's lonely at the top."

Of course one of the ways we stay at the top is by hunting our food down in the frozen food section of the grocery store. It's not very elusive prey there.

Back on topic. I think that if you are going to hunt dangerous game you need to take every precaution necessary to make sure you can make a clean kill and recover the game. Let's face it, if you stick a cape buffalo in the boiler room and get trampled to death because you don't have a PH with a back up weapon you are dead and he is dead and the only ones that benefit are the vultures and the jackals.
Old 02-08-2008, 02:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Be very careful now hunter 59! The last thing we need is hunters going after other hunters! What is your goal here? To ban certain hunting? When you do these things you are moving one step closer to losing your hunting rights. Think before you speak or write! Should we leave it up to you to decide what type of hunting to ban. Shame on you!
Old 02-08-2008, 02:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Back on topic. I think that if you are going to hunt dangerous game you need to take every precaution necessary to make sure you can make a clean kill and recover the game. Let's face it, if you stick a cape buffalo in the boiler room and get trampled to death because you don't have a PH with a back up weapon you are dead and he is dead and the only ones that benefit are the vultures and the jackals.
Hey, there is someone with a logical way of looking at things.

According to some, you should just forego your safety so that you can be called a "BowHunter"andprove to all your friends that you areserious about this. Guns are for sissy's!
Old 02-08-2008, 03:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: HuntinGUS

Hey, there is someone with a logical way of looking at things.

According to some, you should just forego your safety so that you can be called a "BowHunter"andprove to all your friends that you areserious about this. Guns are for sissy's!
Yes, but if you are holding the bow, are you a sissy for being near the guy holding the gun. I mean I stand near my wife when she is holding her purse, but that doesn't make it my purse.

I guess I just can't follow the line of thought where someone seriously thinks that having a PH with a backup weapon makes you less of a man or less of a bowhunter. To me, it just makes you a smarter bowhunter.
Old 02-08-2008, 03:22 PM
Typical Buck

More words of wisdom in this thread that went 9+ pages of grown men telling other grown men that they're pussies for not doing it the way they would do it.
ORIGINAL: turtleshell

ORIGINAL: loogout1

Just stating my opinion. If the guides all had bows, it would definitely be more dangerous. Too dangerous for said hunter? I guess that's a personal question the hunter would have to ask himself. At what point does the safety mechanisms or limits put in place overtake the very reason for being there? Another very personal question. I could probably drive the parkway at a very high rate of speed at rush hour to the nearest cabelas, look at a cape buffalo mount and get a pretty good thrill and probably be in more danger than most hunts that guys are out there kidding themselves about. Plus I'd get to sleep in my own bed, and be thousands richer.
Again, JMO. To each his own though.
ORIGINAL: TEmbry15

ORIGINAL: loogout1

Well said Kodiakarcher. It is a "risky endeavor" and should be treated as one. If you dont have the testicular fortitude AND the know how, maybe it's not the endeavor for you. Maybe it shouldn't be attempted at all. There are a lot of "expert" hunters out there undertaking "expeditions" under the guise of the hunt for dangerous game. With multiple back ups behind you, lets call it what it is. "A man's got to know his limitations." And I know mine.
Would it still be bowhunting if those guides were all there with bows at the ready to take down the animal?

So is it different for a rifle hunter? Is it still considered rifle hunting?

How is it out of his limitations to lion hunt simply because he isnt stupid enough to do it alone?
MORON(written by turtleshell)
Old 02-08-2008, 03:34 PM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: magicman54494

Be very careful now hunter 59! The last thing we need is hunters going after other hunters! What is your goal here? To ban certain hunting? When you do these things you are moving one step closer to losing your hunting rights. Think before you speak or write! Should we leave it up to you to decide what type of hunting to ban. Shame on you!
No one here has mentioned anything about banning any type of hunting here! I merely asked for opinions and had several interesting viewpoints expressed. It does however seem the gun hunters police their rank and file better than do the bow hunters. As I stated earlier, if I were to use a small caliber centerfire, say 222 cal.to hunt elk, I would be chastised relentlessly on the big game forum for using an inadequate cartridge for the quarry. Knowing fullwell that a well placed shot with a 222 through the boiler room of an elk will do the job.
In the same token, I know that a well placed shot with a sharp broadhead will take down any dangerous game animal! It just seems to beapproaching theethical boundary when I go to war with a weapon that isfar more inferior than the power ofmy adversary. In this case, my definition of "inferior" would be that in the large proportion of the shots taken with this weapon, the game animal will, without a backup weapon, proceed to kill the hunter before said hunter can do anything about it!
Please realize, this is my "opinion", and I do notintend to judge anyone who hunts this way! Ibelong to a"brotherhood" of hunters and realize we all have acommon love of the sport.My only intention herewas tocreate a dialogue about this aspect of our sport.

Quick Reply: Bowhunting dangerous game!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.