Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Bowhunting dangerous game!

Old 02-08-2008, 08:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Bowhunting dangerous game!

Are you a survivor or are you a lamb for the slaughter? Things can go wrong and they do. If you go after a Grizzly Bear you better bring a side arm just in case your bow fails or you fail with your bow. You don't need to die if you make a mistake.

Years back my Dad shot a Russian boar with his bow. When he made the shot his bowstring broke. The Boar rushed him, he pulled out his 44 Mag and stopped the boar. It's not a clean Bow kill but he wasstill around to eat the bacon and tell the story.

People bow hunting for Elk have been killed by bears field dressing that bow kill. I will carry a side arm where it is legal and where I deem it necessary. Those are my ethics. I'll survive.
Old 02-08-2008, 09:27 AM
Giant Nontypical

We seem to forget that when it comes to the animal kingdom humans don't fair very well against animals on equal terms. They have the advantage of size, speed, strength, and brute aggression without reason to get in the way. Our main advantage is our brain. Apparently some here have forgotten how to use theirs.
Old 02-08-2008, 09:32 AM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: HuntingBry

We seem to forget that when it comes to the animal kingdom humans down fair very well against animals on equal terms. They have the advantage of size, speed, strength, and brute aggression without reason to get in the way. Our main advantage is our brain. Apparently some here have forgotten how to use theirs.
Not me

I don't care if I have the 101st with me, if it can eat me I surrender
Those who hunt just with a bow with no back up are a little nutz or way braver than me.

I hunted bear one time in MI. I had big mom and 3 cubs come in. I was scared to death, I was scared to walk out. If I am going to be so scared I need a backup, IMO I should not be hunting it. It will affect my shot.
Old 02-08-2008, 09:42 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Germ

We seem to forget that when it comes to the animal kingdom humans down fair very well against animals on equal terms. They have the advantage of size, speed, strength, and brute aggression without reason to get in the way. Our main advantage is our brain. Apparently some here have forgotten how to use theirs.
Not me

Those who hunt just with a bow with no back up are a little nutz or way braver than me.

I hunted bear one time in MI. I had big mom and 3 cubs come in. I was scared to death, I was scared to walk out. If I am going to be so scared I need a backup, IMO I should not be hunting it. It will affect my shot.
Apparently, your brain is still working fine. You may want to check your nuggets, though. Perhaps you left your man card in your wife's purse.
Old 02-08-2008, 10:12 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: iamyourhuckleberry

Remember, Davidkilled Goliathwith a rock!
You were doing so well... God did it.

And Lastly, despite the fact that I was in a zone, in retrospect, I was glad I had backups. How many guys wished they had a second or third parachute? It's one thing to be brave. It's another to be stupid!

My brother just took a 49/52 lb. elephant and his back up, a little fella, crack off his 416 faster than the blink of an eye.

He and his wife have been there several times. On her first trip she heard the lions at night and made my brother get up and load his gun. He wasn't worried but being the good husband did as ordered.
Old 02-08-2008, 10:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

WOW. Some of the responses are simply stupid. To imply that having backup guns on a dangerous bowhunt is weak or somehow takes away form the hunt blows my mind.

Have some become such "Bowhunting elitists" that you have lost your common sense? We all realize that killing anything with a bow is a greater challenge than with a gun with all other things equal. We get that. This to me is just another "Bowhunt it or don't hunt it at all" type reply that I have gotten used to on here from some.

It's starting to become sickening. Reminds me of a highschool clique.

A bow and aarow IMO will kill dangerous game, but as with any hunt, things can go wrong. Mess up deer hunting and you loose a buck or have to track it for a long time. Mess up hunting dangerous game and you could die and be eaten. I imagine that is why the back-up guns are present. I think we all could agree that we tend to mess up while hunting. Ensuring you don't die from it is an OK practice with me.

Old 02-08-2008, 11:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: HuntinGUS

WOW. Some of the responses are simply stupid. To imply that having backup guns on a dangerous bowhunt is weak or somehow takes away form the hunt blows my mind.

Have some become such "Bowhunting elitists" that you have lost your common sense? We all realize that killing anything with a bow is a greater challenge than with a gun with all other things equal. We get that. This to me is just another "Bowhunt it or don't hunt it at all" type reply that I have gotten used to on here from some.

A bow and aarow IMO will kill dangerous game, but as with any hunt, things can go wrong. Mess up deer hunting and you loose a buck or have to track it for a long time. Mess up hunting dangerous game and you could die and be eaten. I imagine that is why the back-up guns are present. I think we all could agree that we tend to mess up while hunting. Ensuring you don't die from it is an OK practice with me.

Well said!
Old 02-08-2008, 11:15 AM
Boone & Crockett

Not me

Apparently, your brain is still working fine. You may want to check your nuggets, though. Perhaps you left your man card in your wife's purse.
I agree I am a wuss I just know my place on the food chain Even with a Gun I am not going[&:]
Old 02-08-2008, 12:06 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: HuntinGUS

A bow and arrow IMO will kill dangerous game, but as with any hunt, things can go wrong. Mess up deer hunting and you loose a buck or have to track it for a long time. Mess up hunting dangerous game and you could die and be eaten. I imagine that is why the back-up guns are present. I think we all could agree that we tend to mess up while hunting. Ensuring you don't die from it is an OK practice with me.
I agree 100%!!

Funny how the "Bowhunt it or don't hunt it at all elitists" make sure they have the FASTEST, most up to date Bow, with the most high tech accessories on the market to do it with??? I don't get that! If there so tough why not get a bow that will just be enough to do the job? I mean dead is dead, right?? Come on guys challenge yourselves!
Old 02-08-2008, 01:30 PM
Giant Nontypical

I agree I am a wuss I just know my place on the food chain Even with a Gun I am not going[&:]
Me too, as long as I've got my toys it's at the top.

Quick Reply: Bowhunting dangerous game!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.