Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

I am old and weak

Old 02-05-2008, 07:35 AM
Dominant Buck

Default I am old and weak

I feel that way, sometimes

I'm actually 6'1"/200#'s and in fair shape. I have to tell ya, though.....pulling my 82nd at even 62#'s is a LOT different than it was with my Allegiance at 65#'s. I have had MANY instances of the bow kind of giving me a "false release". I've got one dead arrow at the indoor range to prove it.

So.....I'm ordering 50-60# limbs, today. With speed (I'm getting 330fps out of mine at SIXTY-TWO POUNDS)......comes some cost. I'm realizing that, now.

When I shot my Allegiance.....especially target shooting....I was able to hold it for a good while. This allowed for pin float and a "comfortable" release. Now....I find myself jumping the gun to keep from holding at full draw for extended periods. I hope to do away with this problem with the new limbs.

Is this change to lower #-age limbs going to do the trick? Maybe get me back to where (at least) I was with the Ally (ease of holding-wise)? I'm seriously thinking I'll be pushing 310fps or better with the new limbs on FIFTYTWO pounds. Incredible, huh? I'm gonna need new, heavier arrows.

So....question is.......is a 10# drop in DW gonna ease this thing up a LOT for me?
Old 02-05-2008, 07:37 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: I am old and weak

And for the record.....I'll change these back out to hunt. I'd like to shoot a 500gr arrow for my hunting purposes.....and I'll likely shoot it at 65#'s.
Old 02-05-2008, 07:38 AM

Pulling back a 80# bow doesn't make you tuff..same as tattoos and a Tapout sticker in your back window (which I have and have done). Use what makes you comfortable man!
Old 02-05-2008, 07:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Id think it would have too... wouldnt it? No way around it, even if the draw is stiff with speed mods. its still only 52lbs...
Old 02-05-2008, 07:42 AM
Nontypical Buck

Old and weak? Sing it, brother! Just kidding. I will feel old and weak when I can no longer push the lever to get my specially modified (and camouflaged)wheelchair through the brush to the blind. I bet you will find this passes and you will be back to shooting higher poundage (if you want)once you get used to the new bow.
Old 02-05-2008, 07:43 AM
Boone & Crockett

Cowboy up

(I'm getting 330fps out of mine at SIXTY-TWO POUNDS)......comes some cost. I'm realizing that, now.
Yep
Old 02-05-2008, 07:53 AM
Giant Nontypical

Nope...Just maturing...

I've never shot over 64 pounds, a few years ago I pulled my back, dropped down to 58 pounds...Kept my shots under 25 yards, which is about max I can shoot in the deer woods in Sept/October anyway and still killed deer...Back when I had a Bear Whitetail, I started at 50 pounds, still worked...Before that, I shot a 45 pound Bear recurve...

I love a smooth bow...That's why I shoot a bow that's 15 years old or so...I just don't like most of todays bows...

To me, hunting is about the setup and the ambush...I set up to have close shots with a bow and with my flintlock...That's what keeps it challenging...That's why we bow hunt...I also hunt with a scoped .243, have killed deer out to 300 yards...In that situation it's really about shooting deer, not hunting deer...

Hunting is a hobby, keep is simple and it stays enjoyable...
Old 02-05-2008, 07:55 AM

Is that because of the aggressiveness of the cam? No valley at all, right?

I know the couple of Elite's I have shot felt like that.....Do NOT creep even a little bit, cause if you do, it's gone!

What I mean is, is it more the weight or the cam? You've been shooting 65 #'s, I'm just trying to understand why now 62 #'s is a problem....Not being critical in the least, just curious....
Old 02-05-2008, 08:06 AM
Dominant Buck

None taken, Don!...lol

It's just more "aggressive". I mean....it's REALLY agressive. When it falls intot he valley.....it's kinda violent just as it's rolling over.....even at 62#'s. For hunting???? No issues. But when I'm taking 45-60 shots in a practice session or shooting 3D and holding for a while.....yeah....I'm a bit intimidated. There....I said it.

I was REALLY comfortable with the Ally at 64-65#'s holding it shile target shooting. I just hope the new limbs (I JUST ordered a 50-60# set in black!) will give me the same feeling I had with the Ally, with the same ease of holding.

For hunting.....I'll switch back to the limbs I have on there, now.
Old 02-05-2008, 08:07 AM
Super Moderator

Differences in feel between the new bows? Must be the valley and surely the letoff is the same(80%)? This is why I still prefer 65% or at least 70% letoff. I get a cleaner release. Maybe I can't hold it as long at full draw, but its just more solid for me at the lower letoff.

By the way Jeff, my next bow will have 50-60 lb. limbs too. In just over 3 months I turn 54 and pulling 65-70 lbs. just isn't as fun anymore..........plus being I am 6'0" tall and weigh 155 lbs. soaking wet doesn't help.

Quick Reply: I am old and weak

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.