Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

bedding areas.....

Old 02-05-2008, 11:21 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: bedding areas.....

this is what i look for in a bedding area... if you have evergreens they need to be the right height, just enough the buck can move through them and be totally blocked out from the world. the evergreens that have grown too high aren't as good. grasses (crp,weeds)... you basicly want the deer to go in and totally disappear. sometimes the bucks like to bed somewhere near the top of the hill on the down wind side. when it is too hot in the summer they will seek out low areas, particularly creeks, i have one area that they bed in the water on hot days. the more windy days though they try to stick close to thick evergreens cause evergreens will block out the wind and sound. i watch for vantage points, sometimes he will sit right on the drop off of a hill so he can watch you comming, or he may sit inside some kind of cover where he can see you comming and slip out the back. any time i hunt a milo or corn field i usually do real good, the bucks will lay down in the milo and will disapear, sometimes all that gives them away is the tips of tines when he swivels his head.
Old 02-05-2008, 11:43 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: Schultzy

I've seen this numerous times during the gun season in Minnesota where I'll see a buck bedded in the middle of a plowed field all day. Most of the bucks I've seen do this are 130" class bucks or bigger. They can see forever and they must of figured it out that most people don't hunt in plowed fields. Smart critters they are!!
Schultzy I've seen this too all of them have been bigger bucks. Must be a MN deer thing
Old 02-05-2008, 11:48 AM
Typical Buck

One thing that will be irrefutable is the amount of sign, especially doe bedding areas. That's what I look for, not so much for buck bedding areas, but doe bedding areas. You will have several deer bedding in the same area on a consistent basis and during the time they are there, defecating and urinating and leaving small mashed down areas where they have bedded. If you find these areas then you will definately find the bucks during all phases of the rut. These areas can be quite large and may be used with certain wind directions or weather conditions but if you can figure out when and how to hunt them they can be productive areas to knock down a buck. When youfind these areas don't ruin it byentering it during the season but hunt the perimeter with the wind in your favor. It will be a great stand location all season long.
Old 02-05-2008, 11:01 PM
Giant Nontypical

Never over look the small patches of woods that other hunters just walk past because they think its to close to the road or not big enough woods to hold a deer! The deer will pattern the hunter sooner or later and go into these spots! I have been very successful at killing deer in small potholes or small woodlots that others overlook!