Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

New to archery... opinion?

Old 02-02-2008, 09:48 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: New to archery... opinion?

Muzzy makes a 75gr. that is what I use.If you want a 75gr. cut on contact check out american broadheads sonics I think is what they are
Old 02-02-2008, 11:00 PM

Hey thanks for all the advice, I really appericate it!

And,djs06dc5
Phone: (724) 837-6210 Fax: (724) 837-9755
E-Mail questions or inquiries to
[email protected]
1181 Swede Hill Road, Greensburg, PA 15601

They are fantastic there... very nice, knowing, and patient with questions etc...
Old 02-03-2008, 12:28 AM
Typical Buck

Muzzy 75 grain heads as mentioned above.carbon express 200arrows will work great.Your shooting a Hoyt your on the right track already.LOL
Old 02-03-2008, 04:04 AM

Hi Jenza and welcome.

I was wondering how your DL feels? Did you try a 24" DL or 24.5?
I only ask because I was fitted to a 26.5" DL, 26" felt even better, and im half a foot taller than you.
Who knows, maybe ya got long arms though.
And I'm not advising changing if it feels right to you...I'm only asking as a curious noob trying to learn.

Thanks for your time,
Dave

Old 02-03-2008, 05:57 AM

ORIGINAL: buckmaster

Mechanical-meaning expanding on impact, i use the Rage 2-blade 100grn.

Fixed-meaning blades are in a fixed position- i use G5 Strikers 100grn.

Welcome to archery and HNI!! They are both addictive.

Roskoe makes a good point about staying away from mechanicals at your low poundage, Fixed blades will give your more penetration anyway.
yeah, what he said. Very Addictive...actually more like a passion.. Welcome. Enjoy
Old 02-03-2008, 07:24 AM
Nontypical Buck

I would not go too heavy on the arrows. At 40 pounds a 400 grain arrow will drop like a rock between 15 and 20 and 25 yards. Once you get the poundage up, you can go a bit heavier. To hedge your bets and get the most penetrationI would go with the cut on contact head 75-100 grains.
Old 02-03-2008, 11:05 AM

DBerrard
As for my DL... it was purely set up do to measurments...
But I love it at 25.5'' My arms aren't strainging to reach, kisser is in the correct spot... and I seem to shoot great with it (granted I havent gotten to shoot it alot yet ha) I JUST got it yesterday, and shot it when I was there... andI had no problems, and great shots. And trust me... I'm short all over haha, my arms are short.

Alot of you seem to keep saying go with the Muzzys....
Has anyone heard/tried/use the Tritons?
Old 02-03-2008, 11:38 AM

I have a co worker who is 5"2" and needs a 23" draw length. If your arms aren't particularly long, you might be pulling to much draw length and not know it at this point. Might get someone to help you with the digital camera and post a picture of form at full draw. There is a regular coaching staff on this forum.
Old 02-03-2008, 11:46 AM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 02-03-2008, 03:16 PM

With Dottie Nelson, and the people that work with her. In am confidentthat my DL is pretty much right on for me. They are the ones that showed me the form and everything and got me all set up. I dont have any problems holding, drawing, shooting with how the bow is currently.

Feet paralle with target, and shoulder width apart with front foot slightly farther back then the back foot. Standing straight up, and at draw straight arms, that are level with eachother. Even with my left arm being bent a bit b/c the fact me being a girl, and the elbows inverting rather then being locked straight...I'm able to kept the kisser to the corner of my mouth without strainging to reach or even passing the corner of my mouth. I'm rather comfortable doing, ha the only thing im not so fond of is a loose grip with my left hand... but I'll get used to it =]

Quick Reply: New to archery... opinion?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.