Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Rack board/display

Old 02-02-2008, 12:57 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Rack board/display

ORIGINAL: Bols

Mobow, you drink all those Cokies again? You know what happens when you drink soda pops past 1:30.

Englum, I like the 2 a.m. desire. In fact, I might have to try that with some Euro mounts I have. I might even push the envelope and go for 4 a.m. cutting and sanding, then 6 a.m. staining.

lol, yeah Im kind of a night person. I think I finished working with it around 3 am. Right now Im soaking the 3rd rack to get the hide off of it. Once I get the hide off of that Ill let it dry and then actually put them on the board and then go from there.
Old 02-02-2008, 12:59 AM
Typical Buck

ORIGINAL: mobow

Mountain Dew in glass my padowan...mountain dew in glass....or sun drop....
Ah man I agree. Its either dew or sun drop for me. Theres a pop machine kinda close by my house that has sun drop for 35 cents, usually swing by and get one on my way home. Sometimes Ill mix it up and throw in a grape soda
Old 02-02-2008, 01:00 AM

Englum.....

Did soaking them help? Or did you end up boiling them? I remember you mentioning something about getting the rest of thehide off in another thread.

I have a Euro mount with some left over hide and hair around the bases of the antlers, you think just soaking them would soften them up enough to get the rest of the hair off?
Old 02-02-2008, 01:13 AM
Typical Buck

I would say it should work man. It worked real well for mine. Here's what mine turned out looking like. All I did was cut as close to the base as I could. After it dried I sanded it down as much as I could up close to the base with some real fine sand paper to kind of get any of the few left over hairs off.

Sorry for the pic being so bright.

Old 02-02-2008, 01:43 AM

I think I will just soak the skull and the bases of the antlers for a while......just regular old water huh?

Then once it seemed to soften up, you just started cutting away.

I should have done a better job of cutting before I boiled the skull......but I got lazy.

This skull has been sitting for about 2 years now, waiting to be finished up. It has been boiled once, but I still need to rub it with borax or peroxide to clean it up the rest of the way.

It isn't nearly as white and bright as that skull plate is.

Old 02-02-2008, 01:53 AM
Typical Buck

Yeah for the most part I just used regular hot water. I did pour dish soap all over a couple times but I cant really say how much that helps because thats the only way Ive ever done it. Ive never tried it without the soap.

But yeah all I did was let it soak, and then slowly started prying the hide up off of the skull from the front, then turned it around and pried it up from the back. Once I thought it was loose from front to back I took my knife and cut the whole middle part out. Once that was out I just started out cutting down as close as I could to the base. Once I got all of the main pieces I just started going back and getting all the little parts. Then like I said I let it dry and used sand paper all over it.

Old 02-02-2008, 01:56 AM

Okay.....thanks for good news. I'm glad I can get rid of that leftover hair by the bases without going through the boiling process again.

And keep us updated on how this rack turns out!

Old 02-02-2008, 01:58 AM
Typical Buck

Here's what my kitchen sink looks like right now while Im on here...

Old 02-02-2008, 01:59 AM

Tell Santa he doesn't have to kiss Mrs. Claus the ENTIRE OFF SEASON.

Old 02-02-2008, 02:03 AM
Typical Buck

lol yeah. Those usually do stay out all year round