Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

would you do this to a bow

Old 02-01-2008, 09:07 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default would you do this to a bow

I was in a local shop (notice I didn't say pro shop) and the guy took me in the work room and showed me a bow he had really just destroyed.He was pressing a Reflex grizzly (wrong press) and his rope broke and bent the riser.This bow belonged to someone else and he had to buy him another bow because he bent the riser and Hoyt/reflex would not replace(and they shouldn't).

He asked me if I could fix it.Well,I have fixed it the best it can be fixed.But being it is a magnesium riser,it still has a tendancy to go back when cranked up to 70#'s but down in the 55# to 60# range it is an absolute awesome shooting and tuning bow.

Here is what I did to fix it.

After this,I had to shim the bottom cam to get the spacing right and clear the cam from rubbing.Then I had to serve the floating yoke so I could twist the top cam lean out.After all was said and done,I was able to shoot bullet holes with it at 3',6' and 10' with a properly spined arrow with centershot properly set.

I also had to put 12 twist in the string and a few in the cables to get the poundage and timing back to spec,it does bottom out at 70# as it should now.

I would love to have this bow set up for turkeys but I am afraid he will try to make some money off it now because it is shooting well .He told me he would make me a deal on it but my deal and his deal might be different.We will see.

I just don't want him to take it back and then put it on the shelf and try to sell it.I don't know if that is his intentions or not.
Old 02-01-2008, 09:11 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: would you do this to a bow

I think it's time to scrap it, just thinking of the liabilitiy in it now with a sue happy world.
Old 02-01-2008, 09:14 PM
Giant Nontypical

I agree and that is why I don't want it sold but I am completely confident in it for me to shoot.I am not afraid of it breaking,I really didn't stress it that much but in a few years or if the poundage gets cranked up,I believe tuning will be an issue.
Old 02-01-2008, 09:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

You must really have a gift, fixing a bent riser? ive never even herd of bending a riser... i hope he doesnt try to sell it on the shelf though, Why dont he just give it too you? i mean was the bow any good at all with a bent riser, you fixed it, did you charge him?
Old 02-01-2008, 09:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

I am not charging himand it did have useable parts so from that standpoint,it had some value.
Old 02-01-2008, 09:18 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: TFOX

I agree and that is why I don't want it sold but I am completely confident in it for me to shoot.I am not afraid of it breaking,I really didn't stress it that much but in a few years or if the poundage gets cranked up,I believe tuning will be an issue.
For yourself that might be a very fun bow to play with. Keep an eye on it.
Old 02-01-2008, 09:23 PM
Giant Nontypical

A guy in the shop last week bent his riser 35 degrees, with some twist, on his brand new, 3 day old Vantage X8! [:-][:-][:-]. I about cried for him, he knows what he's doing but our press at the moment doesn't accept that long of a bow without an extension. It just about made me sick, I'd hate to really know how he felt.
Old 02-01-2008, 09:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

I think it's time to scrap it, just thinking of the liabilitiy in it now with a sue happy world.
thats what i was thinking
Old 02-01-2008, 09:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Matt/TN

A guy in the shop last week bent his riser 35 degrees, with some twist, on his brand new, 3 day old Vantage X8! [:-][:-][:-]. I about cried for him, he knows what he's doing but our press at the moment doesn't accept that long of a bow without an extension. It just about made me sick, I'd hate to really know how he felt.

OUCH,I love Hoyts and have never had an issue pressing them with an old style press but you really have to be carefull.
Old 02-01-2008, 09:34 PM
Typical Buck

Sorry, but no I would not. I feel the riser has been stressed and should be scraped out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.