Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Archery work shop

Old 02-02-2008, 02:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Archery work shop

How much is an arrow saw?
The apple arrow saw I have I believe runs $220ish....

It was nothing to put it together... I bet start to finish it was done in less than 2 hours.... Including building the bench, furring the wall, hanging the peg board and hanging the stuff on the peg board... etc...

I have made improvements to it sincebut havent taken any new photos.... With a ton gear / tuning toolsnot pictured.....

As for a bench press...I am not dropping that kind of cash.... X-Press is a little steep for me
Old 02-02-2008, 02:48 PM
Dominant Buck

It was nothing to put it together... I bet start to finish it was done in less than 2 hours.... Including building the bench, furring the wall, hanging the peg board and hanging the stuff on the peg board... etc...
You forgot the disclaimer....

**Disclaimer** "I'm a carpenter....and I know my ****"
Old 02-02-2008, 04:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

Inspirational......but that's a ton of $$ tied up in those places.
Like Scott said, it really wasn't as much $$ as you'd think... it's two pieces of wood-grain pegboard from Lowes, a 4x8 sheet of plywood ripped in half to make the countertop, and several 2x4's. Most of my money was tied up in the metal brackets I used to hold it all together, and everything is screwed in ...

I recognize one of those stands, Greg!....lol
Same model, but actually it's a different stand. I couldn't get a squeak out of the one I bought off you to save my life, even after I tore it completely apart and rebuilt it. So I exchanged it for a brand-new one.

I'm also going to peruse the web for all the serving info I can find.
Bohning makes a nifty kit that includes everything you're going to need to get started, including a very well-done instructional DVD for around $40 or so. You can buy these at Cabela's or Bass Pro among other places...

How much is an arrow saw? Also....when oredering arrows from say.....a shop owner form the forum, here....would it be prudent to just have them cut them and negate having to purchase the cutoff saw?
I ended up buying the smaller of the two cutoff saws available... and after much investigation, I came to the conclusion that Apple probably builds the ones Cabela's sells and allows them to private-label them.They've got an 8,000-rpm model and a5,000-rpm model;most suggest the higher RPM (and thus, higher priced) model, but I've found the smaller unit completely capable of handling all my cuts from all-carbon Gold Tips to A/C/C's. I paid $99 for it.

If you're only planning on buying a dozen arrows every couple years, I personally feel this is one heck of a big luxury, and probably the one thing in my shop that I could do WITHOUT the most. I bought it planning on experimenting with different shafts a lot; since I routinely set up 5-6 personal bows a year, I'm probably a little different than most folks who visit these forums.
Old 02-02-2008, 05:23 PM
Dominant Buck

I'm probably going to end up with 3 different sets (minimum) of TARGET arrows before it's over with. I'm FAR less picky about my hunting arrow.....opting for the stiffest, heaviest arrow and not worrying abou tmuch else. I think I can probably justify $99 for a saw, though.....in the future.

The workshops themselves.....Yeah....I, like Scott, could probably do that in a good weekend morning. I just need to figure out where......and I'm set.

I am going to tryto become self-sufficient in the next couple of seasons (technically-wise....in archery).
Old 02-02-2008, 05:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

Greg, I still can't get over how sweet your "home" shop is.
Thanks, Dave!!

And... as you know -- she's available for your use as well as "Matt's place" (that would be our guest suite on the other side of the wall) any time you and Becca get ready to come and spend some time down here...
Old 02-02-2008, 05:31 PM
Typical Buck

Greg, Thanks for the great ideas.
Old 02-02-2008, 05:51 PM
Giant Nontypical

still working on it, gotta get better lighting yet, and fix in some recept's. still adding tuning tools, just recently got the bitz.

Old 02-02-2008, 08:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

I'm probably going to end up with 3 different sets (minimum) of TARGET arrows before it's over with. I'm FAR less picky about my hunting arrow.....opting for the stiffest, heaviest arrow and not worrying abou tmuch else. I think I can probably justify $99 for a saw, though.....in the future.

The workshops themselves.....Yeah....I, like Scott, could probably do that in a good weekend morning. I just need to figure out where......and I'm set.

I am going to tryto become self-sufficient in the next couple of seasons (technically-wise....in archery).
You become self sufficient and Ill rely on you... hows that sound?
Old 02-02-2008, 09:16 PM
Giant Nontypical

Your shop has come a long way Dinko! Very nice
Old 02-02-2008, 10:05 PM
Giant Nontypical

Hey it was you guys that inspired me your shops are awesome thank you!! Dam, you may have more camo than Germ.
ORIGINAL: buckeye

Your shop has come a long way Dinko! Very nice

Quick Reply: Archery work shop

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.