Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How many actually pick a spot?

Old 02-01-2008, 06:55 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: How many actually pick a spot?

Being I shoot a recurve I pick my spot and stare that spot down until the arrow is released and in the animal. Its pretty simple logic but allot of times people have a tough time with this though. To often hunters are looking at the deer or the area they want to hit instead of aiming concentrating at the spot.
Old 02-01-2008, 07:00 PM
Bartender

Steve you ever play soft tip darts? If you are good when you are picking your spot/hole on the soft tip board you never really see the dart until it is in the air, You know what I mean? So focused on your targe.

T
Old 02-01-2008, 07:03 PM
Dominant Buck

Few more years under your belt and you will understand Frieda.
You make VERY little sense, sometimes, Fraley...
Old 02-01-2008, 07:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

Big time RESPECT from the Dinko
ORIGINAL: Schultzy

Being I shoot a recurve I pick my spot and stare that spot down until the arrow is released and in the animal. Its pretty simple logic but allot of times people have a tough time with this though. To often hunters are looking at the deer or the area they want to hit instead of aiming concentrating at the spot.
Old 02-01-2008, 07:22 PM
Fork Horn

i pick the general area of the lungs and let the arrow fly, if i concentrate to hard either I choke or the deer sense me concentratingand take off

Old 02-01-2008, 08:20 PM
Boone & Crockett

nevermind.
Old 02-01-2008, 08:40 PM
Dominant Buck

I just picked a spot and think im going to set in it and drink a beer while reading the rest of this tread. Too much saw dust in my britches, been out carving bows. So I guess ill be picking atsome other spots aswell.
Old 02-01-2008, 08:48 PM
Boone & Crockett

Picking a spot= location,location, location.

Old 02-01-2008, 09:42 PM
Boone & Crockett

I don't pick a spot, I go through a process in my head though.

From the bottom of the deer, following the leg up from where it meets the body;

"Three inches up, two inches back, hold, hold, release."
Do you only shoot at broadside deer?
Old 02-01-2008, 09:52 PM
Site Bouncer

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

I just feel it's better to concentrate and pick out a spot....ANY spot rather than aim for a general area behind the shoulder.
See John....this is what I have a problem with....that somehow...if you don't pick a hair....you're shooting at a "general area". That's simply not the case. What I think (and I say this because I KNOW I have done this in the past) people have problems with....is not checking their anchors, properly, when in the heat of the moment.

Simple question, really......if your pin is where you want your arrow to go.....why isn't your pin your spot (much as your bead is your spot when you're iron sighting that 60 yd shot). If you look at your line of fire as a laser.....and your pin is your guide......then you have a good game plan.

I don't mind going agianst the grain on this one. Again.....semantics.
Of course you want the arrow to fly where the pin is, that's why we sight in our bows no? But my pin is not the spot I'm AIMING at.....it's my sight.

Also, gun sights and bow sights are two very different beasts. Witha gun sight, younever coverthe target. Your bead is NOT your spot. After a sight picture is obtained you place the impact point (your spot) just above the sight like the graphic below.

If you happen to be shooting an older shotgun with a single bead (like a bird gun) you still employ the same method as mentioned above it's just there isn't a second point of alignment. Newer shotguns with two beads, one in the middle and one at the end of the barrel should be "stacked" and your "spot" placed on top of the beads (like the pic above).

Now a bow sight is different and it's sighted differently too. First off, when I draw, I'm not even thinking about my anchor points....That's what practice and repetition is for....muscle memory. No, I'm looking at my target, my "spot" I place the correct yardage pin on that spot. At this time I am so focused on that minute impact point my pin is almost a blur. I'm concentrating solely on my "spot".

I think Fraley said this as well. I'm not thinking about my pin because I know it's lined up with my lineof sight and I'm staring right at my tuft of hair, muscle crease, scar, burr, or whatever it may be. Then, when the time is right, I release my arrow.

Jeff, answer this if you would....If you're not aiming at a specific point, then what are you aiming at?

Quick Reply: How many actually pick a spot?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.