Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How many actually pick a spot?

Old 02-01-2008, 03:32 PM

Default RE: How many actually pick a spot?

For me, picking a spot is pretty important - more from the standpoint that I don't dare let myself look at those horns. Gives me something to focus on.
Old 02-01-2008, 03:42 PM
Dominant Buck

I just feel it's better to concentrate and pick out a spot....ANY spot rather than aim for a general area behind the shoulder.
See John....this is what I have a problem with....that somehow...if you don't pick a hair....you're shooting at a "general area". That's simply not the case. What I think (and I say this because I KNOW I have done this in the past) people have problems with....is not checking their anchors, properly, when in the heat of the moment.

Simple question, really......if your pin is where you want your arrow to go.....why isn't your pin your spot (much as your bead is your spot when you're iron sighting that 60 yd shot). If you look at your line of fire as a laser.....and your pin is your guide......then you have a good game plan.

I don't mind going agianst the grain on this one. Again.....semantics.
Old 02-01-2008, 04:40 PM
Giant Nontypical

This is funny! Some of you guys blow me away with all your analyzing everything. Especially something so simple as picking a spot! Just too funny!
Old 02-01-2008, 05:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

If you are not picking a spot you are not aiming,you are shooting at an area as others have said.Pretty basic stuff!
Old 02-01-2008, 05:56 PM
Bartender

Few more years under your belt and you will understand Frieda.
ORIGINAL: GMMAT

I just feel it's better to concentrate and pick out a spot....ANY spot rather than aim for a general area behind the shoulder.
See John....this is what I have a problem with....that somehow...if you don't pick a hair....you're shooting at a "general area". That's simply not the case. What I think (and I say this because I KNOW I have done this in the past) people have problems with....is not checking their anchors, properly, when in the heat of the moment.

Simple question, really......if your pin is where you want your arrow to go.....why isn't your pin your spot (much as your bead is your spot when you're iron sighting that 60 yd shot). If you look at your line of fire as a laser.....and your pin is your guide......then you have a good game plan.

I don't mind going agianst the grain on this one. Again.....semantics.
Old 02-01-2008, 06:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

Reading all thisI realizethat you're all basically saying the same thing just in a different ways. Language whether written or spoken can be interpreted differently depending on the interpreter. So... the same sentence can be taken differently by two people who in fact are on the same side. Twisted aint it?

I do get what GMMAT is saying though. If you pick a tuft of hair to aim at, your pin covers it up anyway so what's the point in having to pick out that tuft if you already know where your arrow should impact? It's not like those who don't "pick a spot" just put the deer in the pin guard and let loose. They ARE looking at where the pin falls on the body of that deer.
Old 02-01-2008, 06:40 PM
Bartender

Actually once I have my pin on the spot I see right through the pin and it disappears right when I am about to let her fly. I am totally focused on a spot but not to the point of a hair.
I find when I have problems practicing is when I am to focused on the pin and not my targeted spot. Im out.
Old 02-01-2008, 06:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm curious,for those of you who don't utilize mechanical sights and always pick a spot... What happens when there isn't a tuft where you need it to be? What if the deer isn'tsome scraggley swamp buck with hair out of place everywhere and all you got is a clean flawless brown coat? Or what if it's 2min before end of legal light and you can't see a single tuft even on the mangiest Louisiana swamp buck? Where do you aim then? Not patronizing, just trying to understand.
Old 02-01-2008, 06:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

I try to aim at the exit, then pick my spot and exacute
Old 02-01-2008, 06:54 PM
Boone & Crockett

Quick Reply: How many actually pick a spot?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.