Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How many actually pick a spot?

Old 02-01-2008, 01:22 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: How many actually pick a spot?

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Semantics if you asked me....

Unless that animal is standing still for a long time...your "spot's" gonna have to change. That good spot when he was 4 steps back there might not be the right spot when he is wher ehe is right now.

I agree that knowing the path your arrow is going to take through that animal is VITAL information. What better way to imagine that than having your pin on the animal and adjusting. That's the ultimate in the angle. It's a straight line from your pin through that animal (taking into sonsideration the angles).

The "spot" is constantly changing....unless that animal's standing still.

Wherever my pin is at the given time is the spot. I can't determine said spot until I get ready to pull the trigger.

Jeff, I completely understand what you are saying and agree with you. I don't think that the spot is a constant though. I guess for the guys that use a tuft of hair as an example that is constant and fits right in to what you are saying. That tuft of hair may be in the perfect place for a broadside shot, but on a hard quartering shot it will be way too far forward. So, the spot you pick is there at the time of the shot. Once you are at full draw and have the deer stopped in front of you then you pick your spot and put your pin there. If it moves before you shoot, then you have to pick a new spot.

I actually practice this at home be shooting at my 3d target from different angles and giving myself a limited amount of time to shoot. I walk around, stop, draw, pick my spot, and shoot. I give myself 5 seconds to do this. If I haven't gotten the shot off I let down and walk around again. This way I have to pick a different spot with every shot. It saves on beating holes in the same spot on my 3d target too.
Old 02-01-2008, 01:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

Wheres Bullet Hole Baily when you need him?
Old 02-01-2008, 01:27 PM
Dominant Buck

Chris....with the year he had.....probably at his taxidermist's......making a payment.
Old 02-01-2008, 01:29 PM
Giant Nontypical

being ive only shot 1 deer with my bow, i cant tell ya what i do.

i hit my anchor points, had a broadside 21yd shot. was ABOUT to jump the trigger and realized it...WAY high...woulda stuck him in the back. took that extra second and found the crease behind the leg...then watched my arrow sink into that....

someone on here i believe has PASS written on their limbs...Pick A Spot Stupid..im not gunna lie...havent forgot they yet, and i thought of it before i released the arrow...thats when i realized i was too high.

also use PASS for 3d shooting. first couple rounds i sucked. hit the targets...shot OK but not like i do shooting spots in my back yard...started PICKING a spot, weather i could see the X ring, or see a worn out hole, or shot AT my buddies arrows, or a different color where i think the X ring is...i find a spot and pick it and shoot for that spot. just like shootin spots in my backyard...

and yes, ive shot my buddies arrows more than theyd like...if someone says they shot an X, i will squeeze an arrow right beside it and say "boy i hope so! " on time 2 buddies were bein REAL cocky in good fun...1 was pumped he put it in the X....blacked out shafts and all, the sun hit it just right at my angle..CRACK! he wasnt happy...luckily it was just the nock...so after that the other buddy says boy was that luck or what...he was foolish enough to shoot before me...CRACK! nother nock went flying...dont talk smack when my game is ON and your shooting orange nocks! lol

picking a spot just seems to really help me shoot...
Old 02-01-2008, 01:30 PM
Site Bouncer

I always try to find s tuft of hair and aim for it. It's really not too difficult to do. The most important thing to do is to relax and aim. Too many times folks get rushed (or think they need to) to get the shot off. Take your time and AIM at something.

I always pick a spot.
Old 02-01-2008, 01:41 PM

As soon as I seen my game I start placing the arrow through it based on the angle and as i draw in my head I still see the arrow and that's what I aim at. Just like if a nock was sticking out the side of it and replace it with my pin. I don't come up, down or to the side of it to keep from preload the shot and missing . Come up on the spot you can shoot high and down on the spot you can shoot low. When I get to full draw the pin I'm using is on it are really close. I shoot 3D the same way. All ways see the x in the center of the ten ring In my mind and replace it with my pin hold and shoot it.
Old 02-01-2008, 01:47 PM
Dominant Buck

I'm gonna pay attention to this, more.

Another question.....All this 3D talk has made me think....

When I shoot 3D....there's sometimes nothing (no distinguishing marks) where I want to put my pin.....or where I NEED to put my pin to give myself the best chance at scoring on that target. Let's relate that to hunting. There's a tuft of hair that's visible at 20 yds.....but it's 2" left of where you need to place your arrow. What do you do, then?

Iron sights rifle shot.....60 yds? What's your "spot"?

Curious......
Old 02-01-2008, 02:11 PM
Site Bouncer

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

I'm gonna pay attention to this, more.

Another question.....All this 3D talk has made me think....

When I shoot 3D....there's sometimes nothing (no distinguishing marks) where I want to put my pin.....or where I NEED to put my pin to give myself the best chance at scoring on that target. Let's relate that to hunting. There's a tuft of hair that's visible at 20 yds.....but it's 2" left of where you need to place your arrow. What do you do, then?

Iron sights rifle shot.....60 yds? What's your "spot"?

Curious......

I don't know what to tell ya Jeff. I can ALWAYS find something to shoot at. The point is not WHAT the spot is, it's simply concentrating on"A" spot. It's not hard (for me at least) to concentrate on the tiniest of spots that I need to in order to make the shot. Using your example, if there was an obvious tuft of hair 2in to the right of where I wanted my arrow to go, then I'd concentrate on a spot 2in to the left of the tuft......Pretty simple actually.

I just feel it's better to concentrate and pick out a spot....ANY spot rather than aim for a general area behind the shoulder.

Old 02-01-2008, 02:14 PM

i have to or i fall apart. i always try to pick out a spot.
Old 02-01-2008, 02:53 PM
Nontypical Buck

When I pick a spot, I usually have a pretty good day!!!!!

Quick Reply: How many actually pick a spot?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.