Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How many actually pick a spot?

Old 02-02-2008, 07:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: How many actually pick a spot?

I getthe pin where it needs to be an say thats about right an let it go. Seems to work good.
Old 02-02-2008, 07:22 AM
Bartender

I would have to say my spot is 2 inches. Not broken down to a hair or tuft. When I practice I have a paper plate on the target and aim right smack in the middle and that is my spot and no markings or
anything. I just focus on that. Pretty much a paper plate is the kill size area on a deer and if I am off just a bit I am ok. 6-8 inches.
But like I stated what works for me might not for you and by your recent kills it is also working.
Enjoy your day, time for my son's basketball games.

Old 02-02-2008, 07:22 AM
Boone & Crockett

I'm a percentage type of guy. I like my percentage of arrows released and deer dead on the ground.Isn't that what really matters? I keep that percentage up by concentrating on the spot I want that arrow to hit, I can change that spot and it doesn't have to be a tuff of hair etc. Doesn't take any time at all.

Old 02-02-2008, 07:26 AM
Dominant Buck

I hear ya, Charlie...and I agree.

I'm done. I'm heading to the shop to shoot. I promise to come to a complete stop at all stop signs on the way. I always do.
Old 02-02-2008, 07:27 AM
Boone & Crockett

It takes concentration.....but there is NO spot to aim at. I would have to assume that a deer with no tuft or discerbale mark would get a free pass form a lot of you guys.
I can look at a white wall ornew 3-d target and say "I want to hit right there" take my shot and know if I did it or not. It isn't that difficult.

Jeff what the big deal about how someone else explains something?

Ok your right, feel better?
Old 02-02-2008, 07:29 AM
Boone & Crockett

I promise to come to a complete stop at all stop signs on the way. I always do.
you lost me with that one.
Old 02-02-2008, 07:32 AM
Dominant Buck

I can look at a white wall ornew 3-d target and say "I want to hit right there" take my shot and know if I did it or not. It isn't that difficult.
Hey Charlie....Take a pill. I agree with you. You can be right.
Old 02-02-2008, 07:37 AM
Boone & Crockett

It is actually time for a pill. Thanks for reminding me. Vicodin for everyone bartender.
Old 02-02-2008, 07:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Charlie P

I'm a percentage type of guy. I like my percentage of arrows released and deer dead on the ground.Isn't that what really matters? I keep that percentage up by concentrating on the spot I want that arrow to hit, I can change that spot and it doesn't have to be a tuff of hair etc. Doesn't take any time at all.
CharlieP, I think most of this thread is a moot argument. If it matters I'm with youI really can't imagine shooting a deer, bear, elk, etc. without picking a spot. It doesn't have to be red, orange, a crease, a shadow, a tuft of hair, etc., but it does need to be a spot

Dan
Old 02-02-2008, 02:06 PM
Fork Horn

I don't think I've ever "picked a spot" while hunting. Practice is a different story. I think most peoples hunting shots become almost instinctive after they get a few under their belt. Don't get me wrong, I use my pin, but it just kind of automatically settles on the vitals. I'd say 95% of my broadside shots ended up within the same 4" area. I don't "pick" this spot...it just seems to pick me.

Quick Reply: How many actually pick a spot?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.