Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How many actually pick a spot?

Old 02-01-2008, 11:33 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: How many actually pick a spot?

ORIGINAL: FRALEY

Steve you ever play soft tip darts? If you are good when you are picking your spot/hole on the soft tip board you never really see the dart until it is in the air, You know what I mean? So focused on your targe.

T
Actually I throw in a dart league Tony, I understand exactly what your saying! Good point.
Old 02-02-2008, 02:48 AM
Dominant Buck

Jeff, answer this if you would....If you're not aiming at a specific point, then what are you aiming at?
John....you know me. The only problem I have with what you guys are saying is......I don't buy that as many people that SAY they "pick a spot" .....actually do that in the field. It sounds good and all......but I'm a realist.

To answer your question......I sorta look at the bow shot as I'm firing a laser......and my pin is my laser pointer. Deer takes a step to his right (qtring away).....I move my laser pointer. I've even had them trun their head RIGHT before I shot.....and I've altered my point of entry due to their body shifting....and them never moving from the spot they're standing in.

Do you realize how much time it would take to do what you guys are saying? First of all.....you'd have to have a discernable "spot" in the exact "spot" you need your arrow to impact. OK.....assuming you are the luckiest hunter in the world.....and that animal has a tuft of hair at EXACTLY the spot you need........now....what pin are you gonna use? Do you need to gap it? Uh oh.....he's moved his back right leg.....dropping it back 6". He's now quartering away a HAIR....and the last spot is no good, anymore (please don't tell me you're still gonna shoot him in the same spot). What do you do now? No discernable tuft or mark on the deer?

I guess he walks for being too clean.

Come on, guys.....it's really not worth arguing about. If it makes you feel better.....I aim at a spot, too. The one right behind my pin......and I can change mine in an instant (if need be).
Old 02-02-2008, 06:07 AM
Dominant Buck

Spot, hair, crease, fold, shadow, tuft of hair.... something. I burn a hole in it and the arrow goes off all by itself.
Old 02-02-2008, 06:50 AM
Bartender

Few more years of experience under your belt and you will understand Frieda.
Sorry forgot the word EXPERIENCE for ya.
ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Few more years under your belt and you will understand Frieda.
You make VERY little sense, sometimes, Fraley...
Old 02-02-2008, 06:53 AM
Dominant Buck

LOL, Fraley....how many years of not killin nothing do I need to catch up?
Old 02-02-2008, 06:54 AM
Bartender

1 I learned it way back in 84

But if it works for you why change IMO.
Old 02-02-2008, 07:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

So what some of you are saying is that you only shoot at scraggley deer with "bed hair" right? Clean smooth coats get to walk?

Kidding aside, I've never been able to see a tuft of hair on a deer at 20yds in broad daylight and I have 20/25 vision. 30 yards is even harder obviously.Nobody's answered the question of where you aim at when it's almost dusk and there are no spots visible to focus on. What I think and I may be wrong is that what some people call "picking a spot" is just an over-glorified way of doing what most hunters do anyway. They pick a "LOCATION" on the deer that they want to hit and they just continue focusing on that particular location.
Old 02-02-2008, 07:04 AM
Bartender

See Jeff location is everything.
Old 02-02-2008, 07:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

I find picking a spot is tuff when its all brown .....I settle my pin in on the boiler room and let her rip!
Old 02-02-2008, 07:14 AM
Dominant Buck

What takes concentration is aiming at something with no discernable marks. A new 3D target is a good example (and if you say you're aiming at the 10 ring....you can't see that from 20 yds....trust me). A deer is another.

It takes concentration.....but there is NO spot to aim at. I would have to assume that a deer with no tuft or discerbale mark would get a free pass form a lot of you guys.

Quick Reply: How many actually pick a spot?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.