Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Same guy....different bows...DL "Opinion"

Old 02-01-2008, 07:22 AM

Default RE: Same guy....different bows...DL "Opinion"

Id have to switch to the 29 D/L if i wanted to keep shooting the thumb release.(jmo) if i dident care what realese i was shooting then i would try the wrist strap first.
Old 02-01-2008, 07:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

I think you will be happier with the shorter dl for hunting. Especially when you start bulking up the layers of cloths.
Old 02-01-2008, 07:25 AM
Dominant Buck

Valid points TeeJay and Dan......but I'm setting this one up "primarily" to shoot targets and 3D.....if that makes a difference. I may or may not hunt with this bow come Sept.

If I do hunt with it.....I could always switch back (no pun intended, Teej...lol) to the 28.5" mods and use the wrist strap.
Old 02-01-2008, 11:47 AM
Dominant Buck

Changed to 29" mods during lunch.....and it feels a LOT better. I don't have a photo....but we'll see how it goes.

Thanks for all of your input(s).
Old 02-01-2008, 12:00 PM
Nontypical Buck

I like your new anchor point. I like the string to touch the tip of my nose. Now I don't know about everyone else, but I completely extend my left arm, (with the thought of my palm facing down) no bend. I never get any string contact, maybeI am just lucky but I find this to be very a repeatable draw.

I think adding your 1/2" on draw will be just about perfect when you straighten out your arm.
Old 02-01-2008, 03:22 PM
Nontypical Buck

Jeff you are a better shot than me, and I am no archery coach, so take my opinion as just that - opinion. I've learned strictly by trial and error and these forums.

But I also think the DL looked too short in ALL the pics. I think if you straightened that bow arm you might actually be a tad longer than 29" with the same face anchor points.

I used to have alot of arm bend and I noticed that I got fatigued very quickly because I was using "small muscles". When I straightened my arm out (just shy of completely straight) I found myself much more steady at full draw which made me much more accurate, and I didn't get tired nearly as quickly. It's the "bone on bone" contact that people talk about.

Not only am I more steady with the "straight arm", but I was able to increase my DL up to 29.5" and gain a little speed along with the accuracy I gained.
Old 02-01-2008, 04:03 PM
Giant Nontypical

You might just try tying a longer loop.I think your release elbow is working out,toward the camera but hard to tell from the pic.You can definately straighten the arm more imo as well.

It is easy to get the anchors on your face that you want,just lower or raise your hand a bit and you will be there depending on which way you go.

You really need to work on your hips as well,they are pushed forward or you are leaning back,that is where you need to start before messing with the draw length,get that fixed and it might fix all the draw length issues you are experiencing.
Old 02-01-2008, 04:11 PM
Giant Nontypical

Forget the peep is on the bow,stand in front of a mirror and get the posture corrected and get the head in a comfortable position before you do anything to the draw length.

Then once you are standing straight up with the head in the proper position for you,then adjust the BOW to FIT YOU.

I don't think your question about bone to bone contact was answered.I refer to it as shoulder load and just makes more since to me but all it is is bringing the shoulder back into the socket when at full draw.Just have to make sure it loads back and doesn't load UP.If your shoulder is coming up,that can cause injury and fatigue.

Maybe matt can explain it better.