Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Heights

Old 01-31-2008, 07:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Heights

So, I would be forced to believe that I'm the only bow hunter who's afraid of heights......
So, anyone else here absolutely refuse to use a treestand cause you don't feel comfy in it?
Or am I the only one?
Old 01-31-2008, 07:58 PM
Banned

Default [Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]
Old 01-31-2008, 07:59 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Heights

My dad doesn't like heights either, he want's a 12' ladder stand. Also hates climbing those tree spikes....

I force him in those 16' stands, or he hunts on the ground, I hear once you put on a safety harness you start dancing up in the stand, perhaps I'll get one, personally im pretty comfy without one, though maybe the old man and yourself would both take out the fear with a quality safety harness, any reccomendations for one? Id rather spend the cash for somethign simple to put on.....already ahve too much crap with me on my way to the stand.

Old 01-31-2008, 08:12 PM
Nontypical Buck

No, you are not alone. A lot of people don't like tree stands. Not a big deal because blinds can be very effective too. Just need to be even more scent conscious.
Old 01-31-2008, 08:30 PM
Dominant Buck

I can tell you that ....

1. Generally....I'm not afraid of heights.
2. I WAS fearful the first few times I climbed. It took me about 20 times to get REAL comfy.
3. Now......23' in a tree is my favorite place on Earth, sometimes.

Old 01-31-2008, 08:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Im not scared of heights at all, i love it, but the dark makes me feel uneasy[&:], but i manage.
Old 01-31-2008, 08:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: kingvjack

So, I would be forced to believe that I'm the only bow hunter who's afraid of heights......
So, anyone else here absolutely refuse to use a treestand cause you don't feel comfy in it?
Or am I the only one?
I would go so far as to say most are afraid of heights to some extent. Some more than others, but I beleive the median height for bow stands is about 14 feet, even though everybody claims to hang them at 20[8D]. Like others say, stands are not nessesary for success.
Old 01-31-2008, 08:39 PM
Fork Horn

In my Summit Viper climber I feel much move comfortable than I do in Fixed position stands without the bar to rest my arms on. As you climb the tree you move the harness along so you are always attached.

You might want to try a climber with the bar that goes around you. I'll go higher in my climber that I will with pegs and a fixed stand. Much more comfortable as well.

The guys I hunt with use postage stamp sized hang ons usually set between 25 and 35 feet. I hate using those stands.

Old 01-31-2008, 08:39 PM
Typical Buck

heights don't bother me too much, although after getting back into a treestand for the first time in awhile it takes me a min to get my sea legs. but once i'm up there for a few minutes i get comfortable and then it doesn't bother me much. just a thought but you might want to try sitting in a pine tree with a chain on stand. having the branches around you makes me feel a little more comfortable then just hanging out in the open. But like everyone said, if it bothers you that much you can always use blinds.
Old 01-31-2008, 09:06 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use trees and shadows... I've been at this for about 15 years, but folks often scoff at the fact that I hate tree stands....
I don't even like standing on my couch... Its somewhat pathetic..
My dad hates it too... that old bastard will sit 30 feet up in some contraption he designed himself and call me an ass....
I hate the guy, but damn he taught me everything I know...
love ya pops...

Quick Reply: Heights

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.